It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2007, 09:09 AM   #1
(female)

lisamn HB User
Angry Nerve damage after hammer toe surgery?

Has anyone else experienced this? I had hammer toe surgery 4 weeks ago today and have been experiencing horrible burning sensation / pain in my foot for the past week or so. It's so bad that it keeps me awake all night and I find no relief.

My DPM just prescribed Elavil (for the nighttime, since it's supposed to knock me out); but during the day, I can barely work because the pain is so bad.

The pain is limited to the area around my toe, so I'm fairly certain it's not as serious as RSD...but, she believes it's definite nerve damage.

How long until the pain goes away? What has been anyone else's experience with this? She mentioned that we would have to wait a few weeks to do anything and then said something about a shot (any idea what sort of shot she would give for this?) and then a TENS unit. When is the earliest I could expect to be able to use a TENS unit? What can I do in the meantime to minimize the pain? Is there anything that I might be doing inadvertantly that could be making it worst?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

Lisa

P.S. I should add that I had neuroma surgery in 2003 on the same foot (same DPM); but then a different DPM who tried to release the hammer toe in his office by cutting the soft tissue. I had no nerve pain that I recall after either procedure; but DPM says that nerve damage is a risk with repeated surgeries.

Last edited by lisamn; 02-02-2007 at 09:11 AM. Reason: To add more information

Old 02-02-2007, 02:35 PM   #2
(female)

wtwct HB User
Re: Nerve damage after hammer toe surgery?

I can sympathize. I have nerve damage in my left foot and ankle from 12 surgeries. I am in the Chicago area and it is very COLD here. My foot hurts so bad I can scream.

I think it gets better over time. My dr gave me Foli-guard. It is a form of Vitamine B. I have to admit, this helps a lot. They also gave me Neurotin. This makes you tired but it also helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread