It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2007, 10:12 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

music47 HB User
Still In Pain After Ankle Fusion

About three years ago I had an ankle fusion. Now I have severe arthritis in my ankle and foot. I wear an ankle brace and take pain meds daily. The doctor says there's nothing more that can be done. I'd like to hear from others that have had an ankle fusion.

Music47

Last edited by music47; 02-20-2007 at 10:14 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to music47:
flint1951 (10-01-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2007, 03:54 PM   #2
(female)

wtwct HB User
Re: Still In Pain After Ankle Fusion

Did they fuse your ankle. If it is fused, I cannot see having arthritis in in. I can see severe arthritis in your foot. The reason I am asking is, you are wearing an ankle brace.

I know that when you fuse a joint (especially an ankle) another joint fails.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2007, 10:46 PM   #3
(female)

Blackbird20 HB User

Interesting, the whole point of a fusion is to clean out the joint and allow it to fuse. Therefore, there should be no arthritis. I had a subtalar fusion, still pain but I am now told it will take anything up to a year to settle, it varies each day but is improving. Mine was to remove arthritis in a joint that was half fused at birth. Like the previous posting I am confused by your doctors remarks. Was yours a complete ankle fusion? Other joints will over compensate for the loss of any motion etc in the fused joint.

Get another consultation. Foot and Ankle Sports Orthopedist.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

music47 HB User

WTWCT
Thank you for your reply. Yes the ankle was fused. The surgeon took out a plate and screws from where another doctor attempted to fix my broken ankle. Then he cut the two ends of bone and put in two screws. After several months the ankle fused. The xrays show arthritis has developed.

Sincerely
Music

Old 02-25-2007, 10:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

music47 HB User
Smile Re: Still In Pain After Ankle Fusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird20 View Post
Interesting, the whole point of a fusion is to clean out the joint and allow it to fuse. Therefore, there should be no arthritis. I had a subtalar fusion, still pain but I am now told it will take anything up to a year to settle, it varies each day but is improving. Mine was to remove arthritis in a joint that was half fused at birth. Like the previous posting I am confused by your doctors remarks. Was yours a complete ankle fusion? Other joints will over compensate for the loss of any motion etc in the fused joint.

Get another consultation. Foot and Ankle Sports Orthopedist.
Hi Blackbird
Thank you for your reply. The doctor said it was a complete ankle fusion. It sounds like what you said has happened. Other joints will over compensate for the loss of motion in the fused joint. I also have arthritis in my knees,shoulders,etc. I will get another opinion.

Sincerely
Music

Old 02-26-2007, 03:43 PM   #6
(female)

wtwct HB User

Wow, that better not be the case. I am having my ankle scoped and cleaned out in April. I do not want my ankle to fuse. I already have a triple fusion and the first met fused. I will also have my heel cut and placed under my foot and my fibula moved a little so that everything is in align.

Music: It is interesting that you said you have arthritis in your shoulder. I just did some research about fusions, it did say that your shoulder takes the brunt of the fusion also.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:17 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

music47 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwct View Post
Wow, that better not be the case. I am having my ankle scoped and cleaned out in April. I do not want my ankle to fuse. I already have a triple fusion and the first met fused. I will also have my heel cut and placed under my foot and my fibula moved a little so that everything is in align.

Music: It is interesting that you said you have arthritis in your shoulder. I just did some research about fusions, it did say that your shoulder takes the brunt of the fusion also.
WTW
I am optimistic your surgery will go well. Are you in pain now? My prayers are with you.

Music

Old 02-27-2007, 11:47 AM   #8
(female)

wtwct HB User

Thanks. I hope everything goes well also. They said it will make me more comfortable but "not the same". I guess I have more problems with it other than that.

Yes it does hurt. We will see. This will be my 12th surgery on that foot.

Old 03-03-2007, 01:08 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Lynn1991NY HB User

Music
I have a foot drop and had a posterior tibial tendon transfer one month ago. One out of the 10 or so doctors I saw mentioned I was only a candidate for an ankle fusion (opposed to the 9 doctors who said i should have a tendon transfer). The doctor who recommended the ankle fusion said that if I had ankle fusion done, I would develop arthritis in my ankle and in ten years would need another surgery. Considering he was the only doctor suggestig ankle fusion, I wouldn't take his opinion that seriously but he did mention ankle arthritis was a severe side effect.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:57 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

music47 HB User

Hi Lynn

I don't know if everyone develops arthritis after an ankle fusion but unfortunately I did. If I didn't take pain meds I wouldn't be able to walk. I am 59 years old so that is probably a factor too. Thank you for your reply. Take care.

Mus

Old 04-18-2007, 04:53 PM   #11
(male)

jimmy1955 HB User

hi, wonder if someone could help me......had ankle fsion surgery 14 weeks ago........i was in a cast for 13 weeks and was given a boot with a 3/4 inch heel lift....complained to my doctor it made me fee off balance.....he has give me the go ahead to wear sneakers with a lift of about 1/2 inch.....i am walking very slow with a limp....and i am swelling up a bit.......also i am on an ebi machine that promotes bone growth....he showed me 3 exrays and 2 of them show complete fusion and the 3rd still shows area of black.....i guess my questions are how long will it take for me to walk without pain and a limp.......and also is a 1/2 inch heel lift going to be ok......

Old 05-10-2007, 01:49 PM   #12
(female)

Alexianna HB User

Hello,

I had an Ankle Fusion about 2 years ago. A year after the surgery, the bolt had to be removed from my foot. Now I am in as much pain or more than I was before the surgery. My doctor is totally stumped. I am hoping he will suggest an ankle replacement. But for a 35 year old that would be a stretch. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited by Alexianna; 06-05-2007 at 02:20 PM.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:52 PM   #13
(female)

Alexianna HB User

I had a fusion about 2 years ago and am still in pain. I also live in a small town in WV. I had to have the bolt removed because it was backing itself out. Has your doctor said anything about an ankle replacement? Well I wish you luck.

-Alex

Last edited by Alexianna; 06-05-2007 at 02:19 PM.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:19 PM   #14
(female)

Alexianna HB User

I am in the same position. I had a subtalar joint fusion about 2 years ago and had to have the screw removed. I am still in a great deal of pain, have to take meds to even work. My doctor is at wits end. He suggested killing the nerve ending in the subtalar joint area, but I am not so sure I want to do that. Anyway, If anyone out there has any suggestions, Please Please Please let me know.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:38 PM   #15
(female)

wtwct HB User

Alex: Did you have your ankle fused or your subtalar joint. What part of your foot is still in pain? The subtalar joint?

I had a triple fusion and the first met fused. I had bad pain near my subtalar joint. It was the heel and the fibula grinding when I walked. I just recently had my heel moved over and my fibula repaired.

Just one more thing, how does your ankle look on x-ray?

Closed Thread