It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2007, 02:32 PM   #1
(female)

tasha92337 HB User
Flat Feet Reconstructive Surgery

Hi, I suffer with flat feet all my life. I was told that I could get surgery for flat feet deformity. It really got worst when I took ballet and jazz. In ballet and jazz, you HAVE to stay on your toes and ankles 24/7. I started getting pain. I went to a foot docter and he told me that the full procedure for both feet would cost around $12,000. And the recover time is 1 year to 1.5. Im almost finish with college within another six months, and I really would like to fix my flat feet from daily pain. I do remember the docter saying that he would have to extend someting in my calves area.

**Also, what insurance covered your surgery or did you have to pay out of your pocket ?
I have Aetna PPO and as long is its not cosmetics, the insurance will pay for it.

Anyone had flat foot surgery??

thank you

Old 03-13-2007, 07:22 PM   #2
(female)

alexbaby16 HB User
Re: Flat Feet Reconstructive Surgery

Hi, While I have not had the complete reconstruction, I have had a tendon transfer on a ruptured posterior tibial tendon. Which is something that they would most likely do for your surgery. You will probably need and achilles lengthening, calcaneal osteotomy(where they cut your heel and move it over to correct the deformity and help to create an arch, they often harvest bone from your hip (lilac crest) to heighten the heel to take weight off the posterior tibial tendon). Some people...depending on how far along the deformity is will have some sort of arthodosis (fusion). I had my surgery on 12/22/06. It has been a long recovery so far, and I have had the easier of the surgeries. I was non-weight bearing for 8 weeks in a boot. Started pt @ 8 weeks and walking as tolerated. It is now 11 1/2 weeks post op. I am wearing shoes on both feet. Both of them have braces on them. ASO braces...it's a nylon and velco wrap that mimics taping of the foot for support. I can walk short distances, before my foot starts to protest. Trips to the mall or grocery store are out. I am in a catch 22 as I have developed tendonitis of the posterior tibial tendon on the non-operated foot and am currently trying to stay off of it as much as possible. Therefore my surgery foot isn't getting as much exercise as it should. I still take ibuprofin on a pretty regular basis...usually once or twice a day. I have minimal swelling. Most people that have bone work will have quite a bit more swelling. This should last a year or so. When the dr. says it is a year to a year and half recovery...they aren't kidding. This is a serious surgery and will take alot of patience. There is a group out there for those with PTTI...if you do a seach you can find it. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2007, 07:51 PM   #3
(female)

tasha92337 HB User

thanks so much for the information.

Did your insurance cover it?

Old 03-13-2007, 08:37 PM   #4
(female)

pugluver31902 HB User

Ok, so here is the deal. Im 23 and just finished my second flat foot reconstruction surgery. I also took ballet and jazz all my life. The surgery is a painful one, but I am very pleased with the results. My knees and hips dont hurt anymore, and I know that I have saved myself from having future problems and joint replacements. The surgery for me consisted of fusing two joints with pins and cadaver bone grafts, the calcaneal osteotomy ( breaking the heel off, moving it over and screwing it back on), lenghtening the achilles tendon (tendon on back of leg), and several ligament repairs. I ended up with a total of nine screws and four metal clips. Like I said, the surgery was INCREDIBLY painful, but the pain lets up in a few days. For each foot I spent 8 weeks in a cast, three in a boot, and then weight bearing in a boot for three weeks. After that their was intensive physical therapy. My last foot surgery was in October, and by February I was "back to normal." I still have some muscle mass to gain, but I havent felt any pain since the first two weeks of surgery. I was REALLY suprised at how quickly I recovered. Four months out of each surgery, I was already able to jog. My first foot is completely pain free. My second foot has minimal pain (not even enough for a tylenol), but I think I really overdue it. I should rest more. Lol

Now, as far as surgery costs go, $12,000 is FAR from what it cost. That is probably just the doctor's cost. You need to factor in renting the operating room, paying the anesthesiologist, nurse, doctor, and all the medical supplies. Then you factor in the follow up visits (which may be included) and the cost for three months (give or take) of physical therapy. I spent five days in the hospital after my second surgery. My total for both my feet was somewhere around $100,000 when all was said and done. Now that was without complications. I spent another few thousand on follow up doctors because I had an allergic reaction to the iodine they used in surgery. Now I was lucky, and I didnt have to pay one cent. I have Blue Cross Blue Shield and they covered it all, but all of thier plans are different. So if he is giving you a figure of $12,000, that is probably just his fee, cuz that didnt even cover the operating room for any of my surgery's. PLUS It is more than likely you will have additional surgerys to take out any screws. Which is two more surgeries where you have to rent the operating room and anesthesiologist and doctor and so on. Those cost me about $10,000 each, not including my follow up visits. You need to check with your insurance. A lot won't cover flat feet.

Also, Im not sure if you have, but if you havent, you should definitly get a second opinion before you jump into anything this big, cuz once its done, you cant go back. I saw seven surgeons before I decided on one, and not ONE doctor had the same technique as another.

There have been several threads about flat feet reconstruction recently, and I would encourage you to search through the topics on this thread and see if you can find them. Good luck!

Last edited by pugluver31902; 03-13-2007 at 08:42 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to pugluver31902 For This Useful Post:
Ryank1979 (12-21-2011)
Old 03-13-2007, 09:00 PM   #5
(female)

alexbaby16 HB User

Hi Tasha, yes my insurance did cover most of....of course I had my portion to pay. I am with Blue Cross PPO. I went with a podiatrist...some go with os. So far so good.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:43 PM   #6
(female)

tasha92337 HB User

Thank EVEryone for there post.

Well here is my problem. I am 21 and I have insurance with my mom- Aetna PPO
Now I noticed that everyone had Blue Cross that covered most, if not all of the surgery. How much is blue cross a month for an indiviual?
**Is your blue cross insurance through your jobs health insurance plan?
**If a new member of blue cross, how long does it take for them to cover a surgery like this?

Sorry for so many questions.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:28 PM   #7
(female)

pugluver31902 HB User

Mine costs me about $480.00 every two months with a five hundred dollar deductible. They have about ten different plans though, so it depends on what plan you get. They also request your records from all the doctors you have seen in the last five years, and they factor that it to the cost too I think. I believe that since you have already seen the doctor your flat feet would be considered a pre existing condition and would probably not be covered for the first year. I am not on Blue Cross through an employer.

Last edited by pugluver31902; 03-13-2007 at 10:29 PM.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:11 PM   #8
(female)

tasha92337 HB User

Really? Wow where you on an indiviual paying 400 dollars every two months?

thanks

Old 03-14-2007, 07:07 AM   #9
(female)

pugluver31902 HB User

Yes, Im the only one on the plan. 480 every two months, and it goes up every year.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:42 AM   #10
(female)

tasha92337 HB User

Wow thats alot of money to drop every two months. Since ill be paying half portion for my braces.

**Any good health insurance and dental insurance for an indiviual? I attend college so im a full time student and my job doesnt over benefits. I tend to get braces as well as a foot surgery in the near future. I suffer with feet pain and i deeply need adjustment.
I need some advice.

I was reading through some post about medicaid?
Whats that .
What are the cost of indiviual health and dental insurance?

thanks

Old 03-14-2007, 07:48 AM   #11
(female)

tasha92337 HB User

Do i need to look at local agencies that can fit my attire?
I dont have alot of money so im looking for a reasonable price a month to help cover my foot surgery.

thanks

Old 03-14-2007, 07:50 AM   #12
(female)

pugluver31902 HB User

I dont think you would qualify for medicaid. You have to be disabled for that. You are probably going to just have to get insurance quotes online. No one can give you a good estimate bc there are so many things factored in. Age, weight, past med history, what options you want, do you want to see certain doctors and stuff like that. Any new insurance will most likely have at least a one year waiting period for braces and foot surgery since it is considered a pre existing condition. Only some insurances come with dental insurance. Otherwise I *think* it runs about two hundred a month. Im not all that familiar with dental insurance, but I am pretty sure it has a waiting period also.

Have you tried any less invasive foot treatments such as orthotics and physical therapy? Becareful that you dont rush into surgery bc of one doctors opinion. I was lucky that my surgery turned out so well, as I know others who are now worse off than before.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:52 AM   #13
(female)

pugluver31902 HB User

What do you mean by local agencies?

Old 03-14-2007, 07:56 AM   #14
(female)

tasha92337 HB User

well i did find a dental insurance that only cost $120 a year i believe and its one of the insurances my dentist take. I forgot what the dental insurance is called. But what i meant about local agencies is i found here in the health insurance thread, someone suggested going through a yellow Pages and call 3 independent health Insurance agents,

is that a good deal?

Old 03-14-2007, 07:58 AM   #15
(female)

pugluver31902 HB User

A local insurance agent might not be a bad idea, but you will probably still get the same rates as by looking online. Basically they take all your information and check out how much the rates at different insurance company's. Wow, I have never seen a dental insurance that low. Are you sure it isnt a savings plan with a small yearly max on it?

Closed Thread