It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2007, 09:50 PM   #1
(female)

twisteroats HB User
Question Mid Foot Fusion Surgery/rehab

Hi, I'm scheduled to have a midfoot fusion done in about a month, and its my first surgery ever and im a bit freaked out and while ive talked to my doctor about it i think it might be helpful to talk with someone who has actually been through one. What is it like coming out of anesthesia. How long am i going to be on bedrest? what pain killers? How long until I am able to walk again? how much time in physical therapy? If you guys could help me that would be great.

Old 03-20-2007, 02:31 PM   #2
(female)

dianelev HB User
Re: Mid Foot Fusion Surgery/rehab

I had a midfoot fusion in April 05 for arthritis-post ankle injury. I am sure everyone's experience is different, but I can give you a general idea... For me the general anesthesia was no big deal, but I have had many foot and ankle surgeries so I am kind of used to it! I woke up feeling fine but it is painful for the first few days. I was in the hospital for two days. The pain was bad but it was manageable. For me, I could deal a lot better with the pain after the first couple of weeks.
I was non-weight bearing for 8 weeks and then had parital weight bearing in a boot for another 8 weeks. I will tell you that I had an unusual complication- that being the fusion did not heal! My fusion only healed 50 percent and I ended up needing the surgery redone in January of last year- this time with a bone graft from my hip. Now, this is a rare complication and I dont want to scare you! I have had unusual problems in the past, and this was just another one. My second midfoot fusion healed perfectly and I could go back to exercising (limited) after about 7 months.

Just let me know if you have any other questions and good luck!
diane

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2007, 12:06 PM   #3
(female)

ldebruin HB User

Hello,
I had mifoot fusion done Feb. 12, I had general anesthetic, although they told me originally that I would have a epideral because of nausea, the doctor added medication to the general and I did not get sick at all. The second night in the hospital was the worst, I guess all the anesthetic had wore off and I had quite a night keeping the pain managed, the nurses were great though. After 2 weeks I had my plaster cast removed and stitches taken out, I thought what a relief... the next night at home I had very bad nerve pain shooting through my big toe, I've had 3 kids with natural childbirth, I have rhematoid arthritis, so I have a pretty high threshold for pain, but this was something else WOW!!! it happend twice. All I can say is keep some pain meds for about the 2 - 3 week period, just in case. I go to the Dr. next Friday for X-rays to see if the bones have fused (keeping my fingers crossed), I don't want to have to re-do this procedure. Other than going stir crazy staying mostly in the house, I can't drive as I had my right foot done... things seem to be O.K. not much pain, just some mild discomfort and some pressure. I will keep you posted if you like as to my progress with healing.
Lila

Old 03-29-2007, 02:53 PM   #4
(female)

me2007 HB User

Hi everyone, what is a mid foot fusion? I have been told I need my big toe fused and pins down the 2nd, 3rd and 4th toes to fix the metatarsals and correct a severe hammertoe. What this orthopedic surgeon wanted to do on my foot is something called the Clayton-Hoffmann procedure. Its a procedure they do on older people who have crippling arteritis (sp)...hammertoes...etc...etc. How you are describing the surgery is the way this Dr. described it to me. Did you have pins or screws put in your toes? I am only 48 yrs old, and Im scared to death to have this one done after all Ive had in the past. I have had several major surgeries done when I was younger...so my feet arent virgin to say the least.

Old 04-22-2007, 06:09 PM   #5
(female)

twisteroats HB User

Thanks so much!! some other quick questions if you don't mind. did the painkillers make u loopy or have other side effects bc im rather prone to drug sensitivity. and also did they have to take you screws out?

Old 04-24-2007, 02:38 PM   #6
(female)

dianelev HB User

It kind of depends what you get for pain medication. In the hospital, they will probably give you morphine, which affects people differently. After I got home, I was given Percocet for a couple weeks, and it didnt really bother me. After that, I just used Advil.

After my fusion had healed, I had discomfort from the screws. My os took them out, and it was more of a procedure than I expected because bone had grown over one of the screws. It has been a year since my last fusion, and I feel great, but my fused foot is nowhere near to my regular foot. I think you will find a lot of limitation with certain activities like running (not possible for me anymore) and walking on uneven ground. However, I would rather have these problems than constant pain!

Best of luck!

Closed Thread