It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2007, 03:36 PM   #1
(male)

mike2007 HB User
Shattered Heel

Hi,
I shattered my heal 5 months ago.
They said they didnt think it would need pins, which I am grateful for but I'ts not in such great shape yet?
Has anyone had this Same injury and know roughly how long it might take to completely heal? They said the bones where in the right place but still broken off and would heal ok.
I'm having trouble getting full motion back.. my ankle is still bruising bad and hurting.
Thanks for any replies in advance.
Mike

Old 03-19-2007, 08:47 AM   #2
(male)

grumpyme HB User
Re: Shattered Heel

hi,
i did the same thing. i fell off a ladder at work in feb. of '06 and ended up with the heel fractured in 4 places. lots and lots of swelling, pain and just general suffering. the 4 different docs i have seen to date all said the same thing. no weight bearing at least 12 weeks and usually 12-18 months until totally healed. dont want to scare you but i believe in laying it on the line. you have suffered a severe injury that takes an enormous amount of time to heal. get yourself the best foot and ankle guy in your area and see what he says. if you're in the chicago area i used dr. george holmes jr. out of rush univ. he is the 4th doc. the others did nothing wrong, just wanted a change. my wife is a nurse and found this guy by calling the ama and getting his credentials and an opinion of him. i cannot say enough about the man.
i did end up having the ankle fused though because of persistant pain and the way the fracture lines went up into the ankle bone. i also did not need surgery initially, but a year later did. you just never know.
good luck and stay off the foot!
ken

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2007, 04:06 PM   #3
(male)

mikem1974 HB User

I fractured my heel bone in Nov. 2005. Like you, no surgery. At 5 months I too had significant pain and swelling and was walking with a limp. At that point there was hardly any bruising though. It takes a looong time to recover from this type of injury. To speed up your recovery, keep exercising despite the pain.

Today I consider the foot at 90%. I think this is the best it's ever going to get. I'm able to run, although short distances, something I never imagined I could do at 5 months after injury.

Different people have different recovery times, but like the other poster said, 12-18 months is the most realistic.

Good luck.

Old 03-20-2007, 05:28 AM   #4
(male)

mike2007 HB User

ooohhh
(sigh) 12-18 months...
Thanks for the replies, really helped alot, I thoguht something was Really wrong.
I am currently looking on the web for "specific " excersizes to get those bad spots a little better.
I have been doing excersizes to get my calf and toe muscles etc back.
Thanks for sharing your stories. I'm sorry anyone else had to go through this.
Mike

Old 03-21-2007, 02:24 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

steven16 HB User

Hi all, I smashed both my heels in august 06, about a 25 foot fall. I had surgery, now i have pins, wire, glue, plates. I couldn't weight bare for 3 months, then i had no muscles left so it took longer.i started walking with a walker after 5 full months.i am at 8 months now and can get around on my own for about half of the day. long enough to go to the gym and some erands.I have a custom orthotic that i have to wear, or i really cant walk at all. I highly recomend this. it is the only reason i can walk, (with minimal pain) I hobled in with my walker put in my othotic and literly walked out not using the walker. it is the best $350 i ever spent. Along with taping my ankles to help the tendon between tib and fib tighten(takes at least 6 weeks) i also wear an ankle brace made by G2-spelled GII- the sts, subtailer something? I have limited range of motion and there is a possibility of fusing my left sub-tailer joint. I was wondering Ken, how this effects your walking, and did it help your pain? I'm told that after 24 months of recovery that is as good as it gets. all the metal is coming out this june and i'm hoping this will ease some of the pain and alow more flexability.like most im sure the problem now is all the scar tissue across the top of my ankes. Is there any 1 or 2 things that you guys would recomend for treatment that you found to be the most effective. This injury has ruined every aspect of my life, and i am willing to try anything i can to recover. thanks Steven.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:18 AM   #6
(male)

grumpyme HB User

hello
sorry to hear about your injuries. i just saw the doc yesterday, he has allowed me to partially weight bear on the fused ankle. to answer your questions, yes the surgery did relieve the pain, i also had custom orthotics(2 different kinds actually) but they only worked for a couple months. thats why i decided to have the thing fused. if the doc is talking about a subtalar fusion that is what i had. they literally scrape out the cartilage in the joint between the heel and talus which is the ankle. they put in 2-3 screws and mine did a bone graft to fill in the spaces, and make it grow together. after fusion your ankle will not move sideways as if you are walking on a roof or side of a hill. it sounds like you are going thru what i did, the pain is caused by the subtalar joint becoming arthritic. i was shocked to learn that after only 9 months the joint was arthritic but thats how it is. i have some pain now that i am walking on it but have been assured it will gradually go away. the full recovery time from the surgey is 4-6 months, and i am only 6 weeks post op, so i have aways to go. it never ceases to amaze me about the length of time i hear people have suffered while healing from this type of injury, they really are life altering.
keep up your faith, say a few prayers for yourself, and keep your spirits up. its not easy but it take a long long time.
ken

Old 03-23-2007, 10:27 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

steven16 HB User

thanks for the reply Ken. nice to hear you will eventually be pain free. that seems like a long time to "heel", is that because of the tissue damage or the bone has to grow together? and where did they get the bone from. it doesn't sound like the fusiun can be reversed once it's done. i was hoping in time science would find a way to fill the empty cartalige pockets without fusion.i'm going to hold off on the fusion for now, in june im getting all the hardware taken out and im hoping this alone will relive some pain for a while.i was wondering how long the insisions take to heal? with this removal this is all i'll be waiting for before i can walk again. 9 months does seem a little early to be arthritic. my left heel is broken into the top joint so im told arthritis is inevitable, and a fusion as well i guess, i want to pospone this as long as possible, mabie im being stuborn but i cant stand the thought of being bed ridden and in the wheelchair for any longer. not having side to side rotation is going to be tuff for a while im sure, i started walking in the winter on snow so the ground was always uneven and it was very hard, i hope it will get easier. Thanks again. Steven.

Old 03-26-2007, 03:39 AM   #8
(male)

grumpyme HB User

hi again,
sorry about the double post last time.
my heel fracture also had a verticle element into the talus, which along with the heel forms the subtalar joint which is what you are reffering to. sounds like my injury and thats why i had it fused. you are correct in assuming that a fusion is irreversible. i read somewhere that they are experimenting with some kind of injection to stimulate cartilage growth, but it is still in its infancy. apparently when they grafted bone he took it from another portion of the foot, i never bothered to ask where exactly. it only took about 3 months for the arthritis to begin to manifest itself! i thought that the docs were b.s.ing but after doing some research they were right. actuall it probably started to develop as soon as i started walking around on the foot after the initial 4 months of being in a cast! if you are a smoker quit yesterday! i know i know same old story but its true. smoking especially slows or may even prevent healing in foot injuries. i didnt believe it at first either, but i quit before surgery and i am already walking....coincidence? maybe.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:23 PM   #9
(male)

vmaldonado HB User

Hi i also had a heel injury in aug of 06 crushed my heel actually. If it wasn't for my mom and dad to help me with my two kids it would been hell. I went with a trauma doctor which i think was a big mistake. i had to wait three weeks before he would operate due to the masssive swelling due to the fall. i only fell six feet but did major damage to my heel. I had the operation on 9/06 the doc used a cadaver bone and steel plate and twelve screws. I caught 2 infections which i had to take meds for six weeks the size of them were like horse pills. Anyway i had another operation to clean out the infection which occured on oct/06. I was off of work from aug to Nov with no weight bearing and using a walker. I also was in a wheel chair for about a month due to me also injuring my left foot thank god I did not break any bones on my left foot. My Doc told me i would be ok, but i had so much pain i could not stand to walk. I told him were i had the pain and finally he told me to get a cat scan which i did. The cat scan showed what was causing my pain. My doc stated two of the scews were past the bone and hitting my tendons and nerves. After that i did not want him touching me anymore so i went with a doc from rush hospital in Chicago. There he discovered that not only 2 were past the bone but actually was eight screws out of the twelve that were past the bone. I had another operation to remove the plate and screws. The new had to leave 2 inside due to being inbedded into the bone. The operation was done on 03/07. I am feeling a lot better and not using cruthces or a walker which i am very freaking glad. I can now walk a lot better now then before, but i am not pain free i still some swelling around my ankle but i hope in a few more weeks i can be able to return to my job and get off light duty it's been a long eight months of pain. Hope everything works out for you.

Closed Thread