It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2007, 01:24 PM   #1
(female)

smokey99 HB User
Plantar Fibromas - What to Do?

Several weeks ago, both of my feet were injured after testing the latest adjustment to ill-fitting custom orthotics (I think that maybe the metatarsal pads in the orthotics were too big and caused trauma to my arches). I have had searing or burning pain in the arches and noticed several weeks ago that the left foot had developed a lump in the arch.

Last week, a podiatrist told me he thought the lump was a fibroma in the plantar fascia. Just yesterday, I noticed that I have developed a new lump on the bottom of the right foot as well!

Does anyone have any advice for Plantar Fibromas and how to treat them? Can Physiotherapy break up the fibromas or would that just cause them to worsen?

Thanks,
Smokey

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2007, 01:26 PM   #2
(female)

smokey99 HB User
Re: Plantar Fibromas - What to Do?

Forgot to ask.....

What type of shoe or insole should I wear to not further aggravate the fibromas?

Thanks again,
Smokey

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2007, 12:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

I developed one after my big toe fusion.......or actually noticed it after the fusion. My DR said there was a good chance he would have to remove it...and then a chance it would grow back in the future. There was a 40 % chance that he could inject it and it would shrink.........3 injections later the lump was gone! Woo Hoo! He didnt mention PT for that, just the injections and possible surgery.I have en excellent pod who is very conservative... Get a second op if you see a DR..........and try everything before surgery, that should be a last resort! Good luck! Sorry I have no advice on insoles........I gave up on them many moons ago!
dlh

Last edited by dlh; 04-15-2007 at 12:21 PM.

Old 04-15-2007, 01:28 PM   #4
(female)

smokey99 HB User

Dlh,

Thank you for your reply. You are very fortunate the lump went away without surgery. I have some more questions.....

Was your lump painful before the injections and did you have a tight plantar fascia because of it - did you consider the pain severe? What did your podiatrist inject it with? Were the injections painful? Were you able to walk on the foot after the injections?

I think I have more questions but didn't want to post too many at once...

Dlh, thanks for helping.
Smokey

Old 04-15-2007, 06:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

Smokey,
Ask all the questions you need to.....hope I can actually answer some of them.he he.
Yes, it was awful pain.........the lump was dime size and hurt just to touch it.
At first I thought it was from all the surgery I have had in that foot but once I was healing and the swelling had gone down I finally asked the DR about it. I was very happy it went away with the injections, the thought of yet more surgery on this foot scares me. Yes, the fascia was very tight. Infact I now have Plantar Fascia in that foot(also the other foot) and have cortizone injections every six months. I believe it was a mix of saline and cortizone, to be honest I dont remember I was so upset by it. Yes, they are uncomfortable but I am use to shots in my feet. It burns for a few minutes but he numbed it for me first. It was sore for a couple of days but I could walk. I had one shot every week for 3 weeks.
It still gets tender there if I am on my feet for two long but it hasnt grown back.
Dlh

Old 04-16-2007, 02:26 AM   #6
(female)

smokey99 HB User

Hi again Dlh,

The fibroma in my left arch is painful too, the one in my right hasn't started to hurt yet. It feels like I have plantar fasciitis in both my feet and I can barely walk at all with the searing pain - I use a cane now too.

Did your doctor say what caused the fibroma? What did he use to numb the lump before injection (topical numbing agent like Emla cream?)

I don't know if I could have an injection and take the bus home afterwards. I have seldom left the house in3 weeks due to injury.

Is it possible that the injections can worsen the fibroma instead of making it better.

Thanks,
Smokey

Old 04-16-2007, 09:37 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

Smokey
As far as I know injections cant make the fibroma worse. I know alot of people warn against having the injections for Plantar Fascia..........I know the risk with that but if I didnt have them I couldnt walk. But as far as the fibroma when he suggested it I said YES.......even though it wasnt very good odds, I would hae tried almost anything to avoid more surgery. He didnt say what caused it and if he did I dont remember, I was very stressed out at the time. ****** it and read as much as you can.
He used a spray to numb it, it works pretty good but you will still feel burning and maybe some pinching pain for a few seconds. I drove home afterwards but he did want me to stay off of it once I got home for the rest of the day.
I do remember it bruised after the final shot and that stayed for months, it was weird but the fibroma was gone. Talk with your DR at length before you do anything!!! Oh, he did "strap" it like they do for my PF. Basically its a pad and they use the wide brown tape and secure it in place, it did offer some relief. The injections may be risky...I took the chance because I have already had so much done to the foot anyway. Ask alot of questions..I cant stress tha enough!
dlh

Last edited by dlh; 04-16-2007 at 09:46 AM. Reason: added comment

Old 04-17-2007, 11:31 PM   #8
(female)

smokey99 HB User

Hi Dlh,

The podiatrist is sending me for an ultrasound to determine whether or not I really have fibromas.

I still have the horrible searing pain and tightness on the bottoms of my feet and I don't even bend my feet at all anymore. I will be going for nerve conduction studies but it may be a while before I have the test - it will be done in a hospital so I don't know how long the wait will be for that.

Was your fibroma diagnosed by ultrasound?

Thanks,
Smokey

Old 04-18-2007, 12:57 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

No, I didnt have an ultrasound to confirm, I was recovering from having my big toe fused and didnt want anymore test or procedures at the time. It was pretty big and well defined............and I have a history of benign tumors so I didnt push the matter. Good you are having one though, its always best to be sure! keep me posted!

Old 04-18-2007, 10:20 PM   #10
(female)

smokey99 HB User

Dlh,

I had the ultrasound today and I am upset. The radiologist came in after the tech and checked for himself. He confirmed that the lumps on my left and right arches are fibromas. I also pointed out another area that looked a little reddish, which is how the other two started off, and I have an additional one forming on the left foot. They are all attached to the plantar fascia, not the tendons, and are all located where those wide metatarsal pads in the orthotics had contact with my feet.

The radiologist said fibromas are caused by improper footwear. When I told him I also had searing pain and tightness in the arches of my feet, rigidity, and I couldn’t even walk anymore, he said that sounded like plantar fasciitis and that I should see a podiatrist! He said a podiatrist should be able to diagnose PF based on those symptoms alone.

So upset....

Smokey

Old 04-19-2007, 08:40 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

Smokey,
wow I am sorry you got such bad news!!!! Your lucky the radiologist came in and told you, they dont always do that then your waiting until you see your Dr again. I have SEVERE plantar fascitis........I understand your pain and frustration. Has your current pod done anything to treat that????? When my pod looked at my arch, you could see redness as well as a lump, he knew right away it was a fibroma, maybe thats why I didnt care if we did an ultrasound or not. I am lucky though and have a great pod, I trust him completely. I have had many over the years and had 1 or 2 that were down right quacks..........and then I was blessed with my current one.
How long have you seen your current pod? Do you trust him? Is he confident? Does he seem to know what he is talking about????? Maybe its time you find a new DR. I read yesterday about improper foot wear causing them.......I was curious after the whole ultrasound thing we talked about and ran across that. Mine was in the fascia as well, at least he said it was.....he went into detail about surgery if we went that way but like I said, I tried the other first. When do you see your Dr again????? Im really sorry you are so upset, I really can feel your frustration though. If you need to vent or have questions I will be lurking..........
Dlh

Old 04-19-2007, 06:21 PM   #12
(female)

smokey99 HB User

Dlh,

I have only seen that podiatrist twice for this, but I saw him several years back and I got my first pair of orthotics from him. I thought he was pretty good – the orthotics were great - but he said I still don’t have a diagnosis. He doesn’t think I have PF (I started a new thread about that – please feel free to post to that if you want!) He was not certain if I had fibromas so he has not done anything to them. I don’t see him again until late next month because I have to go for EMG/nerve conduction studies first…..

…..meanwhile, if I do have PF, won’t I continue to degenerate until I get a diagnosis and treatment? I have had to start using a cane, I crawl down the stairs, and I need a chair to get into the tub. My feet are rigid and have searing pain and don’t bend at all…..

…..is your PF like this?? What should I do?

I should also mention that there are really no more options for good pods around here that I am able to go to anymore as I don’t drive, can’t take public transport, and can no longer afford taxis – it is actually up in the air as to whether I can even see the current pod anymore because a taxi ride to see him is about $40 - $50, ONE WAY only!! There is a minimum ONE Year long wait to see any ortho surgeon - and many of them no longer even accept new patients!

Dlh, thanks for being there for me.

Smokey

Old 04-20-2007, 10:09 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

Smokey,
I know its very difficult but try to stay positive! I know that sounds crazy but in some strange way it helps! My PF gets really bad, to the point to where I cant walk with out severe pain and have difficult time with my stairs. BUT you sound like there is something else going on as well. I dont know much about nerves and such but that could be an issue, I have heard of RSD, is that what they are doing the nerve test for?
Are you outside the US?? I am posting on the new thread you started.
dlh

Old 04-20-2007, 11:55 PM   #14
(female)

smokey99 HB User

Dlh,

I don't remember if he told me specifically what the nerve tests were for - he mentioned that maybe something was pressing on a nerve, he also used the word "tibial" at some point. He told me he really didn't know what was wrong. I checked out RSD....that looks scary. I am in canada.

Smokey

Old 04-21-2007, 08:42 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

Smokey,
After a while I tune out what my DR's are saying and see thier mouth moving.......ha ha. I take my health care seriously and I am one to ask alot of questions and expect alot of answers but its hard to remember sometimes exactly what the "terms" they use are. I only mentioned RSD because I know it involves nerves........thats the only reason, I didnt mean to scare you, sorry! I thought maybe you were out of the US because you said there was a long waiting list for an ortho......
dlh

Closed Thread