It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2007, 09:05 PM   #1
(female)

DKopp10 HB User
Smile Double bunionectomy: I get to walk on Friday! (Will I get different boots?)

I can't believe my 4 weeks of bedrest is over!!! For 30 days post-op (double bunionectomy with first metatarsal osteotomy) I was non-weight bearing and although I was supposed to wear those aircasts on my feet - I hated them and just did without. I have to admit that I was a lot more comfortable without those heavy boots.

My 2nd post-op is on Friday and I get to start walking again! The past month hasn't been too bad but I definitely had my moments where the wheelchair got frustrating and I wanted nothing more than to just put my feet down and stand up. The incisions have completely scarred over and the swelling has gone WAY down. Surgery wasn't bad and the recovery was what I expected except I wasn't expecting the nausea to happen the 2nd day post-op. My husband drove me to my parents and the car ride had me vomiting for 24 hours. I guess I went on a long drive too soon after anesthetic.

Anyhow, my question is: will I get different boots for walking in (rather than the aircasts?) I am SO uncomfortable in those aircasts and they're really heavy, I can't imagine walking in them.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:59 PM   #2
(female)

myjo HB User
Re: Double bunionectomy: I get to walk on Friday! (Will I get different boots?)

Hi. At four weeks your bones haven't fused together yet. It generally takes 6-7 weeks for the bones to knit together. My air cast forced my weight to the heel so not much pressure was on the fore foot. I actually requested it because I couldn't walk on my heel otherwise...too much pain. I had to wear one boot and can't imagine two. I called it my 'ball and chain.' My nephew called it my Frankenstein shoe and that's how I felt when I walked.
More power to you for having both feet done. Every doctor is different though, so maybe he'll let you try to wear sneakers. Good luck and let us know what happens. J.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2007, 02:30 PM   #3
(female)

KathJack HB User
Re: Double bunionectomy: I get to walk on Friday! (Will I get different boots?)

I had a double bunionectomy (and surgeries for hammertoes at the same time) and was able to walk immediately. It was only an exremely limited amount for the first week (mainly going to the bathroom) and a bit more the second (kitchen & living room, doctor's office) and only while wearing surgical sandals, but after that it was as much as I could do without pain. However, it sounds like either your doctor has a much more conservative approach or your surgery was more complicated. Your doctor didn't give you any idea ahead of time of what to expect during the healing process? I'd ask him what he forsees for progressing though the next couple of monhs. Hope you are able to get around soon.

Closed Thread