It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2007, 05:52 AM   #1
(female)

cam523 HB User
Bunion surgery gone wrong?

Help! I have been reading all of the post pertaining to bunion surgery trying to figure out what is going on with my foot. I had surgery 1/31/07 and everything seemed to be healing fine. It has been almost three months since the surgery and I can barely wear tennis shoes. I start getting a pain near where the bunion was and right below it on the side of my foot. It's to the point where I have to take my shoe off. My foot is still pretty swollen and on my xray the screw was sticking out just a little bit. I am getting so frustrated. My doc has me going to PT 2x's a week but so far that doesn't seem to be helping.

Has anyone had this sort of pain 3 months after surgery? I have three young kids so I am constantly on my feet. I just want to get back to normal.

Chris

Old 04-19-2007, 07:13 AM   #2
(female)

Blondebookworm HB User
Re: Bunion surgery gone wrong?

Sorry to hear about your problems. I had bunion surgery in December and it never settled. I had pain in the joint and in the specific areas where the screw and staple had been placed. The original surgeon did not want to know and so I went privately to see another surgeon. Last week he opened the foot up and removed the metal work - sticking out and rubbing the skin. He also released ligaments that hadn't been done previously BUT the biggest problem turned out to be that the tissues had been stitched together far too tightly with non-dissolving thread - no wonder I was in such pain.
My advice is to get a second opinion and be persistent. Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2007, 02:23 PM   #3
(female)

KathJack HB User

I don't have any expertise/wisdom other than what I've learned through my own experience and reading articles and this board, but I would wonder about a few things. First, I didn't have swelling for too long, but I have heard that it can last for many months and it can cause pain. (My podiastrist told me that he wouldn't fit anyone for orthodics for at least 8 months after a bunionectomy because of there is often some swelling even until that point.) Secondly, could something be pressing on a nerve due to swelling, the screw, or the fit of your shoes? (Are you trying to wear your old "normal" shoes? Your foot might not be ready yet.) Problems with the nerves can really hurt! And like Blondbookworm, I would wonder about the screw. Many people have to have them removed eventually, although 3 months seems earlly. If PT isn't helping (Does the therapist have any opinions?) and the doctor doesn't offer you any other options, I agree that a second opinion is called for. You don''t want to endure pain and disruption of your life unless you are sure that it is unavoidable. Best wishes.

Old 04-20-2007, 05:24 AM   #4
(female)

Zardtoe HB User

I had surgery 2/5/07, and am having a pain that sounds quite similar to yours - it's along the inside side of my foot, from about bunion area all the way out to the tip (sometimes) and seems to wrap around under the toe at times. I checked on the FootBoards site and Dr. Oster said it sounded like a nerve entrapment. I guess that means a nerve is balled up in the scar, or something like that. He said that pain from a nerve entrapment can last for quite a while - even 6 months or more. I know people say another surgery can fix it, but I'm really hoping it goes away as the scar tissue reduces. I'm having good luck with massaging the scar tissue daily to break up the lump, but it's still going slowly. I can only wear Velcro sandals (Dansko) - anytime I try to put on closed-toed shoes it just kills that nerve. I'm hoping if I massage the scar, take it easy on the foot, and only put it in shoes that don't hurt, at least for the summer, it'll be healed by fall. Good luck! Let me know if your pain lessens, or if your doctor gives you any good advice. I'll do the same. (I'm scheduled to see him in two weeks.)

Old 04-20-2007, 02:23 PM   #5
(female)

cam523 HB User

Thanks for all the responses. I called my doctor yesterday and he thinks it is a nerve and that I have to be patient (easy for him to say!) I got him to extend my PT for 2 more weeks. Thank God for flip flops and warm weather, that is the only thing helping me right now. My biggest fear was that it might be something permanant -- my Dr. is optimistic that it will go away with time and therapy. I am hoping he is right. I will keep you updated.

Chris

Old 05-10-2007, 05:56 AM   #6
(female)

Zardtoe HB User

Hey, Chris! Hope you're still checking this thread... I just saw the pod. yesterday, and he's baffled by my continuing nerve pain, but said that since I can walk pain-free in open-toed shoes and it's coming up on summer, we'll just see if time will let me heal without further intervention. He extended my PT for a few more weeks, and said to come see him in the fall when I'll need to think about wearing closed-toed shoes. In the meanwhile, I'm to continue doing deep-tissue massage to break up the scar tissue (my PT has been doing that and it already feels like the sesamoid area pulls less when I walk). After hearing some horror stories about "corrective" surgery after bunionectomy complications, it seems like the corrections are sometimes worse than just letting time heal the foot, so I'm happy enough to wait. The scar I've got is enough! Let me know how you're doing.
-Zard

Old 06-19-2007, 05:32 PM   #7
(female)

MEGHAN1975 HB User
Unhappy Re: Bunion surgery gone wrong?

I had a bunionectemy on March 7th and I'm in more pain now than I was beforehand. I have a sharp pain that shoots through my foot under my big toe...I cannot fit into anything other than flip flops or sneakers and I was never sent to PT. The scars are horrible and have lumps of scar tissue along them... I really don't even mind those - but my foot looks just the same if not worse than it did before the surgery! It's swollen and my toe still turns in. I had to wear the boot for 7 weeks and I've had a separater on each day and a split on every night which I'm supposed to do for 1 more month.... I'm wondering if I need PT or if I had a botched surgery - although they said I'm healing well in all of my follow ups.... How is your foot doing now?

Old 07-23-2007, 05:44 AM   #8
(female)

Zardtoe HB User

Hi, Megan. Sorry you're having such problems - I would definitely encourage you to discuss PT with your doctor. THe therapist was able to do much more to the foot than I could bring myself to do, and I'm pretty convinced that it's due to a lot of her work, and the exercises they gave me to do at home, that I'm doing as well as I am, and my scar tissue appears to be minimal (some of that's due to nature, though, I'm sure, as other scars of mine have healed up pretty small). Don't give up yet - you're not even 6 months out, and healing keeps going on for a year. If you can get to PT soon, I'd hope you'd see some improvement in the next couple months. Good luck!
-Zard

Old 07-23-2007, 06:40 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

dancergal19 HB User

Meghan,

What type of procedure did you have? I'm really surprised that your Dr never prescribed PT for you. I agree with Zard and would suggest asking your Dr about it or finding a PT that your insurance covers and getting a consultation with someone. If I had never started PT (I had a bunionectomy and osteotomy on april 3rd) I think my foot would be in far worse shape. So far my foot is doing really well aside from some scar tissue that is still inhibiting my range of motion. My big toe also turns in a little bit so I've been using the night splint and toe separators just like you. Have you been using lotion or oil for your scars? If not I would suggest that and start massaging your foot to break up any scar tissue. Also, keep using the ice. But definitely asking your Dr about PT because I think it's very helpful.

Good luck!
Amy

Old 08-18-2007, 06:26 AM   #10
(female)

miss_p HB User
Unhappy Re: Bunion surgery gone wrong?

Hi Meghan,
I'm so sorry to hear about your post-surgery problems, and I'm wondering how you're doing now. I had surgery mid May, and am still having major issues. Like you, my foot doesn't look much better than before - there is still a large protrusion on the side. Also, there seems to be a piece of bone protruding on the top of my foot where there wasn't before, and I think there is also nerve entrapment at this point. It sends a horrible sensation all the way down my toe when I touch here. I can just about get my foot into tennis shoes now, but I have such pain just walking. It burns on the top of my foot and I also get pain in the joint. I feel so much worse off than before the surgery, and really regret having it.
I'm hoping that you are doing better now, and can give me some hope that my issues will get better. How is your foot feeling and looking now?
Thanks!

Old 08-18-2007, 08:58 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

hi, i would also try for pt. plus you can start massaging where the scar tissue is. you dont want to let that build up.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:46 PM   #12
(female)

sweetpea.73 HB User

I also have had a rough time. I had surgery March 17th and I still have a lot of swelling and went to pt for 5 weeks. I have recently went to a lymphodema doctor for the swelling which she showed me how to wrap the toes, foot and leg and also sent me home with this compression boot (machine) to use 1 hr a night. The first comple days from the doctor wrapping the foot alot of swelling went down I was then told to wear the compression stocking and continue with the boot every night. Well the swelling came back. To wrap the foot myself, it just don't work the same and I can't get the swelling to go down. I also have the foot sticking out where the bunion was and the big toe leaning more towards the other toes than before. I don't know what to think being that you also are having some of the same issues. I still have pain but not the same type as from having the bunion. I also wonder or well, regret having the surgery. I do have another appointment this week, hopefully I'll find something more out. I hope you also do but you're not alone. If you talk to your doctor and find any info please post.

Last edited by sweetpea.73; 08-20-2007 at 05:48 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to sweetpea.73:
Carmen100 (06-17-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpea.73 For This Useful Post:
Carmen100 (06-17-2011)
Old 08-23-2007, 01:19 AM   #13
(female)

miss_p HB User

Hi Chris
I'm wondering how your nerve pain is now? I am having similar issues after surgery in May. I go back to my surgeon in three weeks, and will ask him about the pain I am getting which I think is an entrapped nerve. I just wanted to know if yours has gotten any better on its own, or if you have had anything done for it?
Thanks.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:21 AM   #14
(female)

miss_p HB User

hi sweetpea.73.
so sorry to hear that you're also having a tough time with your recovery. i don't see my surgeon until september 10th, but i will be sure to post on what he says. please let me know what your doctor says when you see him this week. i hope it will be encouraging news for you.
best of luck!

Closed Thread