It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2007, 08:49 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kkmom HB User
Question Numbness in feet

Ok I am going to try this again and pray that I get some one to respond, it would make my day. I have been having alot of pain in my left ankle and numbness to my left foot. Sometimes my right foot feels like pins and needles and it gets real numb to where I cant feel the gas peddle. I get scared when that happens. I have a back injury also but my w/c doc suggested a earlier emg stated i have tarsal tunnel syndrome. The pain is excruciating and nothing relieves it even the nerve pills. I have a referral to a podiatrist, so what should I expect? Has anyone dealt with this or know anything about it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2007, 10:35 PM   #2
(female)

smokey99 HB User
Re: Numbness in feet

Kkmom,

I am sorry that no one has replied to your post. I wanted to respond, even though I don’t have a lot of information for you, because my podiatrist suspects tarsal tunnel syndrome and suggested I go for EMG/nerve conduction studies. That will be in a few weeks.

In late March, I developed searing pain in the bottoms of my feet after developing fibromas in the arches of both feet from testing new orthotics for 4 days. I have been unable to walk since then.

Where exactly is your pain (inner and/or outer ankle? numbness / pins and needles in whole foot or parts of soles?) and is it like searing, unbearable pain?

I do not have actual numbness, but I have had tingling in the three middle toes of my left foot, going into the ball of the foot, and the fronts of both feet (especially the toes) get very cold. My problem is that both feet have gone completely rigid due to the fibromas and I walk like they are stiff boards – they have even caused painful shin splints.

I use Diclofenac, a topical anti-inflammatory, on the soles of my feet. I am wondering if this could help your symptoms at all. I believe it is often prescribed to diabetic patients for neuropathic pain.

One thing I am really afraid of……I have done a lot of research online and have read that tarsal tunnel syndrome can mimic RSD, or that tarsal tunnel syndrome can occur as a result of RSD. My doctor has written something about RSD on my nerve conduction studies referral.

One other question: Did you have a needle electrode inserted into your foot or ankle for the EMG part of the test, and was it really painful?

Take care,
Smokey

Last edited by smokey99; 05-05-2007 at 10:03 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2007, 03:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kkmom HB User

Smokey, you do not know how much I appreciate your response, thank you so much for responding. Well, a little history, I will make it brief, I had a back injury in nov 06 and along with the back pain I had left leg pain with numbness to my left foot and toes. An emg was done and it showed tts at that time, but there amin concern was my back injury, so the foot thing was but on the back burner. It wasnt unitl the past couple of weeks that I have been having unbearable ankle pain in the left and numbness in the heel and toes, but whats weird I also get the pins and needles feeling there at times. My right foot is now with pins and needles, no ankle pain, but sometimes its numb and sometimes i cant feel the gas pedal when I drive. Whats constant is the ankle pain and the pins and needles feeling. It is so hard to describe. I will be seeing a podiatrist once the referral goes through. I am just curious of what they will do.

Do you take anything for the pain that seems to help?
Thanks again Rachel

Last edited by kkmom; 05-05-2007 at 03:55 PM.

Old 05-05-2007, 06:03 PM   #4
(female)

smokey99 HB User

Kkmom,

There is surgery for tarsal tunnel syndrome but I remember reading somewhere that recovery can take up to 18 months (?). You can go ahead and see a podiatrist and if he recommends surgery, ask a lot of questions.
Read up on tarsal tunnel syndrome as much as you can and go in with a list of questions.

For any surgery, you should get several different opinions. From what I have read on this board, I would really prefer to have foot surgery performed by an orthopedic surgeon specializing in foot and ankle instead of a podiatrist. Also, one person on this board always recommends that you call the office of the pro football or basketball team closest to you to see who they use as their ortho surgeon.

I take 600mg of Advil but it doesn't help much with the pain. I tried 500mg of Naproxen (Alleve) and it helps more but it tears up my stomach. The Diclofenac 10% helps the most with the searing pain but I keep on tearing because my feet are so rigid. Diclofenac is a topical anti-inflammatory. Diclofenac also comes in liquid form where I live under the brand name Pensaid but it is only about 1.5% strength. I have not actually tried it. Ask your doctor about whether these would be appropriate for your symptoms. I hope you get some relief from your pain.

When you had your nerve conduction studies done, did you have a needle electrode inserted into your foot or ankle as part of the EMG, and was this painful? Was any other part of the test painful?

Thanks,
Smokey

Old 05-07-2007, 04:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kkmom HB User

Hi smokey, yes the emg did hurt a little bit but it was bearable. They did also put electrodes in my ankes too. Did you have one done or are you going to have one done?

Old 05-07-2007, 07:53 PM   #6
(male)

Bruce3616 HB User

Hey k smokey, I had/have (not really sure which right now) tarsal tunnel and I went thru the release surgery. I also have had a couple of EMG's both with and without needles. I had the release surgery March 06 and prior to that a neurologist couldn't elicit any response from my nerve in my foot. He only tested the affected foot, so the surgeon said at that point the only option was to attempt to surgically release the nerve, which he did and he said that the nerve actually popped when he cut it free. Now I am having similar pain, not so much the pins and needles, but more pain along the path of the nerve and tibial tendon all the way up into my calf. When I went back to the surgeon one of the partners in the practice is a physiatrist, she did another emg (among other tricks) and determined that my left (surgically released) and right now have the same reaction which is still slow compared to norms, howverer she couldn't believe taht the neuro didn't get a baseline for comparisson with the right, something to think about.

And to allay fears the second emg was needle free, only the electrode and lots of measuring and marking. Good luck

Old 05-07-2007, 08:11 PM   #7
(female)

smokey99 HB User

Kkmom and Bruce - I have not had the test done yet. Is it just the needle part that is painful and not the other part of the test?

Bruce,
Both of my feet are bad, they are testing both, so I wonder if there is a "normal" baseline they can compare against?? Also, did you have severe burning pain and a terrible pulling feeling going up to between the big toe and the next one? I have been unable to walk since an injury the end of March - in fact, I could not walk within a week of the injury - I developed plantar fibromas and very tight fascia. Ice makes the symptoms even more painful but the podiatrist says I should ice....

Smokey

Old 05-08-2007, 09:47 AM   #8
(male)

Bruce3616 HB User

The needle part didn't hurt it was more the anticipation of it going in and watching the doc put it in. The actual stimulation was "shocking" but not painful, kind of like getting your reflexes tested only without the hammer. I know there is a clinical baseline for comparisson, my nonaffected foot still fell well below the normal. Hope this helps

Old 05-08-2007, 07:41 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

kkmom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce3616 View Post
Hey k smokey, I had/have (not really sure which right now) tarsal tunnel and I went thru the release surgery. I also have had a couple of EMG's both with and without needles. I had the release surgery March 06 and prior to that a neurologist couldn't elicit any response from my nerve in my foot. He only tested the affected foot, so the surgeon said at that point the only option was to attempt to surgically release the nerve, which he did and he said that the nerve actually popped when he cut it free. Now I am having similar pain, not so much the pins and needles, but more pain along the path of the nerve and tibial tendon all the way up into my calf. When I went back to the surgeon one of the partners in the practice is a physiatrist, she did another emg (among other tricks) and determined that my left (surgically released) and right now have the same reaction which is still slow compared to norms, howverer she couldn't believe taht the neuro didn't get a baseline for comparisson with the right, something to think about.

And to allay fears the second emg was needle free, only the electrode and lots of measuring and marking. Good luck
So Bruce just to clarify, the surgery was not a success? I did not quite understand what happened with your surgery, if you got better or worse. Thanks

Old 05-08-2007, 07:43 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

kkmom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
Kkmom and Bruce - I have not had the test done yet. Is it just the needle part that is painful and not the other part of the test?

Bruce,
Both of my feet are bad, they are testing both, so I wonder if there is a "normal" baseline they can compare against?? Also, did you have severe burning pain and a terrible pulling feeling going up to between the big toe and the next one? I have been unable to walk since an injury the end of March - in fact, I could not walk within a week of the injury - I developed plantar fibromas and very tight fascia. Ice makes the symptoms even more painful but the podiatrist says I should ice....

Smokey
Hi smokey, yes the needle part is uncomfortable and the part where they zap you to check some type of nerve conduction. It is not extremely painful though, just like a pin *****.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:16 AM   #11
(female)

smokey99 HB User

Kkmom and Bruce, thanks for your replies.

Kkmom, when is your appointment with the podiatrist? Have you been able to get any pain relief?

Bruce, is the path of the nerve and tibial tendon in line with the big toe? (That is where my extreme tightness began but I had also developed a fibroma in that path just after my injury.) What options are your doctors suggesting at this point?

For each of you, where exactly was the needle inserted for the EMG (ankle, bottom of foot, etc.)? The bottoms of my feet are always in painful spasm so I am hoping they do not insert a needle in that area.

Smokey

Old 05-09-2007, 04:00 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

kkmom HB User

Hi smokey I just got an appointment for tomorrow morning, thank God, i cant take this pain any more along with the back problems. With the emg it was the side of the ankles I think if i recall right, but not the bottom of your feet. I will post after my appointment.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:28 AM   #13
(male)

Bruce3616 HB User

The surgery was a success in that there is now a detectable nerve signal between my lower leg and my foot, however many of the symptoms are still here, I believe that it has alot to do with tendonitis in the area, I just don't want to go back to the Dr again and be booted up (or worse) for the summer. When the neuro did the NVC the needle was inserted into my arch, and like I said in an earlier post he couldn't elicit a response so there was a fair ammount of "fishing around", he tried putting the needle in several different places. When the physiatrist did it there was no needle only pads like they put on your chest with an ekg.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:21 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

kkmom HB User

Hi bruce and smokey, well I do not have tts from what the podairiast stated. He said it is all related to my back. This is all good and bad news. Good news because I dont have a new problem that need to be addressed surgically and bad, because it must mean my back problems are getting worse. But, I want to thank the 2 of you for your support, you were the only ones who ever responded to my post and I appreciate that and also I wish you the best with your foot issues. I will visit this board from time to time to check up on you two, take care and God Bless.
Rachel

Old 05-11-2007, 11:11 PM   #15
(female)

smokey99 HB User

Bruce - thanks for your reply (ouch!....needles in the arch)

Kkmom - Take care, I hope your back issues are resolved soon. But I am curious - how did the podiatrist verify you do not have tts?

Smokey

Closed Thread