It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2007, 03:31 PM   #1
(female)

worried19teen HB User
Unhappy Mysterious top of foot pain, VERY WORRIED!

This morning I woke up with some horrible pain on the top of my right foot, and I figured I might have just bashed it in my sleep, but it's been over five hours now and it's even worse now. The pain is of course on the top of my right foot, right about in the middle, but slightly closer to the leg side than the toes side. There was a little swelling just on top when I woke up, but now hours later it has swelled a little more, and the swelling is extending down towards my ankle, though the brunt of the pain is still on top in the original spot. There's no bruising or discoloration whatsoever. I find that it is VERY painful if i try to bend, rotate, or extend my foot, if not impossible due to the pain. I also can't do anything with my toes or else it hurts as well. I am getting kind of miserable as I try to find a relatively comfortable position, and so far I've not found one. I notice the pain is considerably worse when I'm sitting up than when I'm laying down. Standing has become almost impossible due to the pain, and I cannot place my weight on the foot without nearly crying from the pain, so I figure walking is out of the question.

I've tried to find information online about this, but most of what I find is about injuries that athletes and runners tend to get. I should say that I am about as inactive as a person can be and sit most of the time, which I have been meaning to change. I am extremely worried this is a sympton of my inactivity and I don't know if this is serious or not. I have an older friend who used to work in a veterinarian's office for a long time, and he says it sort of sounds like I've somehow pulled a tendon, and while I value his opinion I really don't know. I woke up like this, so I have no clue what's going on.

My mom and I have absolutely no money, and no health insurance, and I have now become too old for the state provided insurance for minors. So I'm not able to go to a doctor, and really hope this can be fixed on my own.

Does anyone know anything?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2007, 08:16 PM   #2
(female)

KathJack HB User
Re: Mysterious top of foot pain, VERY WORRIED!

Have no clue-- Obviously it doesn't help for me to tell you that, but I wanted you to know that it is most likely the reason no one has responded to you yet. Do you have anything the equivalent of Stroger (formerly Cook County) Hospital in Chicago where you can get free care in your area? You'd likely have to wait for many hours, but it might be worth it. Ask around, research on the Internet. There are also ministry-run clinics which provide free or sliding-scale care in some towns. If the pain gets too bad or you get too worried, you can go to an Emergency Room. They have to look at you and afterward you may be able to work out some financial arrangement with the hospital to get your bill reduced, set up payments, etc. If you don't know an MD, do you have a friend who has a friend who does? There are also some "Ask a doctor" type websites where you might get some answers. Hope you get relief/help very soon! In the meantime, elevating your foot and icing it (more near the ankle than on the top of the area near your toes) probably can't hurt. You could also try an over-the-counter anti-inflamatory drug.

Closed Thread