It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2007, 12:38 PM   #1
(female)

rooroolachoo HB User
Unhappy Subtalar implants-recovery and surgery info?

I have flat feet and therefore extremely painful heels. I have tried everything...everything out there. Except surgery. So I am considering getting subtalar implants on the 22nd of June. I leave on the 29th to go to our beach house (via airplane). Will this be too hard of a trip? I am not going there to party, just to relax and have a good time, so I am wondering how hard it will be?

What is the recovery like?

I took Vicodin for the first time to deal with the pain the other day (I had just been living with the pain prior). My script is for take 1-2 every 4-6 hours. I took two and had absolutely no relief. It is hydroco/apap5-500mg tabs. Can I take 3 or is that too much? I am miserable. They seem to get worse by the day. My doctor is out of town until Monday. Will 3 hurt me?

Thanks in advance! ANY info on this procedure would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-09-2007, 08:45 PM   #2
(female)

rooroolachoo HB User
Re: Subtalar implants-recovery and surgery info?

Does anyone have any info on this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2007, 10:56 PM   #3
(female)

skyhighifly HB User

I don't know anything about the implants. As far as the vicodin, you are asking us to answer a question that we really don't have any knowledge about. That kind of question should be something you clear through your doctor or, at least, the pharmacist (who's recommendation will likely be to ask the doctor). Good luck.

Old 06-11-2007, 07:24 AM   #4
(female)

vonnie28 HB User

Hi rooroolachoo,

I had subtalar implant surgery back in Feb for my right foot to correct similar problems that you are describing. I also had my bunion corrected at the same time. Pain after surgery was tolerable, I was in a cast and completely non-weight bearing for almost a week and half, then partial weight bearing for two more weeks. Getting around in the airport may be difficult but you could always rely on a wheelchair.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:49 PM   #5
(female)

wanttowalk2 HB User

I am getting a subtalar implant and achilles tendon lengthening in 1 week! I am scared to death of surgery and recovery but with all of the research I've done, it seems to be the best option. Recover will be 6 weeks non weight bearing. Ugh! With school starting back in 4 weeks it should be interesting to get back to work.

Has anyone had these implants that can comment on them?

Old 06-28-2008, 05:50 PM   #6
(female)

wanttowalk2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnie28 View Post
Hi rooroolachoo,

I had subtalar implant surgery back in Feb for my right foot to correct similar problems that you are describing. I also had my bunion corrected at the same time. Pain after surgery was tolerable, I was in a cast and completely non-weight bearing for almost a week and half, then partial weight bearing for two more weeks. Getting around in the airport may be difficult but you could always rely on a wheelchair.
Have the implants helped you?

Old 07-22-2008, 09:45 PM   #7
(female)

surelynine HB User

I just had subtalar implant and achilles tendon lenghtening done 12 days ago. I was put into a walking boot immediately following surgery and told to wear it 24 hours a day for the first 2 weeks. I was non weight bearing for about 3 days, then hobbled around on my foot with the aid of crutches for a couple days. After that I've been doing just fine walking. I go to the doctor on Thursday for my first post-op checkup. At that time, I will be allowed to take my boot off to shower and sleep. I had PTTD surgery on this foot 1 1/2 years ago, and had almost daily cramping in my ankle after surgery. Also my arch was still rather collapsed. These are the reasons I opted to have this recent surgery. So far, I have not had any cramping in my ankle at all. Yea! I am excited to see how my foot looks. I have some pain at both incision sites, but not enough to need pain meds.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:01 AM   #8
(female)

LISALYNN1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttowalk2 View Post
I am getting a subtalar implant and achilles tendon lengthening in 1 week! I am scared to death of surgery and recovery but with all of the research I've done, it seems to be the best option. Recover will be 6 weeks non weight bearing. Ugh! With school starting back in 4 weeks it should be interesting to get back to work.

Has anyone had these implants that can comment on them?

How are you doing after your surgery? I am scheduled for August 25th, for the same surgery. What can I expect? I have never had surgery before, and to say I am scared can be a understatement.

Old 08-23-2008, 06:53 PM   #9
(female)

wanttowalk2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LISALYNN1 View Post
How are you doing after your surgery? I am scheduled for August 25th, for the same surgery. What can I expect? I have never had surgery before, and to say I am scared can be a understatement.
I got the cast off 6 days ago. I had it on for 6 weeks totally non weight bearing. I am walking with one crutch to offer support. The first 3 weeks post op were a nightmare. So much pain!!! It got better in week 4 and then I was not taking pain pills in week 5 except at night.

I went back to work 2 weeks ago on crutches and this past week have used crutches too. I can walk a few steps without the crutch but my ankle and subtalar joint is still tender and swelling. The Dr. says all is normal and looking good.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:56 AM   #10
(female)

LISALYNN1 HB User

Has anyone had trouble getting their insurance company to pay for the subtalar implants?
I should of had this surgery done this morning at 10:30, but we had to cancel it at the last moment because of insurance delays. I am so angry and in so much pain, I walk like I am a very old person, I am no longer able to walk very far. I am so angry because I should be home now and the first part of the surgery should be done. plus I am looking at waiting two more weeks for the surgery because the doctor only does this on mondays and this Monday is Labor day!

Last edited by LISALYNN1; 08-25-2008 at 11:58 AM.

Closed Thread