It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2007, 02:45 PM   #1
(female)

rainabow HB User
Elevating foot after surgery

How long do I have to continue doing this? At first it wasn't too hard because I was so drugged up that I could fall asleep in just about any position, but now it's getting really inconvenient and annoying. I'm only 5 days post-op and I don't want to rush, but I just wanted to know when I can look forward to leaving my foot down, and not having to worry about making it back from the bathroom before my foot explodes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2007, 03:59 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

_swank_ HB User
Re: Elevating foot after surgery

I partly depends on what you had done. But the answer is, there really is no answer because it's different for everyone. I'm three weeks out from ankle surgery and my foot is still bruised and swollen. More than likely healing is delayed because I was back at work five days after surgery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2007, 04:01 PM   #3
(female)

tootsie:) HB User

Hi rainabow,

My experience and dr.'s instructions was to keep the foot elevated for the first 2 weeks with very minimal activity. I'd say I had it down maybe 6 times a day for no more than 10 minutes max. I know it is hard and so frustrating, but boy when that feeling like your foot is going to explode hits you, what a relief to put it back up! After the 2 week mark, I had my stitches and pins removed and elevation was no longer mandatory. From this point, that throbbing feeling becomes less and less. Your body will guide you and let you know when it needs to rest. Hope this helps to give you a time frame. Best to check with your dr. though to see what his/her protocol is for elevation/return to activities. Happy Healing!

Old 06-18-2007, 06:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

keep elevating and more importantly-ICE which is the best thing to do.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:05 PM   #5
(female)

rainabow HB User

I was told to ice only for the first 24 hours, but maybe I interpreted that wrong. To be honest, I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make anyway since my bandages are so thick.

I hope it's only two more weeks. I can't imagine doing this for another month! It's not so bad having to elevate it as long as I can sit up, it's just that the only way to get it over my heart is to lie down or use a very unstable stack of pillows.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:54 PM   #6
(female)

KathJack HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainabow View Post
I was told to ice only for the first 24 hours, but maybe I interpreted that wrong. To be honest, I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make anyway since my bandages are so thick.

Put the ice packs on the instep of your foot-- near your ankles unless your bandages are also too thick there.

I hope it's only two more weeks. I can't imagine doing this for another month! It's not so bad having to elevate it as long as I can sit up, it's just that the only way to get it over my heart is to lie down or use a very unstable stack of pillows.
I found several good ideas on this board for elevation. Best thing for me was a bean bag chair-- a child's size is probably ideal, but hard to find. Then I also used a wedge pillow and/or a round/cylinder shaped pillow under my knees & lower legs. Eventually I was bothered by pain from pressure on my tailbone, but I solved that by sitting in an inner tube.

A lap desk is very convenient-- a hard flat top with a beanbag like bottom-- especially for eating. It made it easier for me to use my laptop computer, read, write, etc. which kept me from getting bored.

Like Tootsie, I kept my feet elevated and iced most of time for about two weeks and then very frequently even after that. I don't think you always have to have them higher than your heart. Just having them up on a footstool is better than having them dangling down.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Old 06-19-2007, 08:55 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

dancergal19 HB User

Hi Rainabow,

I would suggest icing your foot as much as possible for 2-3 weeks. I iced my foot religiously after surgery for about 2 weeks and it really made a difference. I had very little swelling and pain (i had a bunionectomy and osteotomy). The more you ice the easier recovery will be. And keep it elevated too! Even when you're sleeping it's good to rest your foot on a pillow.

Best wishes!

Old 06-19-2007, 10:50 AM   #8
(male)

rouletteyou HB User

Hi, hope it is getting better.
I had a shattered heal bone (calcaneous) and received a plate and 10 pins. I have had my leg elevated during sleeping, eating, etc for 6 weeks now with no end in site. The wound is not healing right and stitches came out because of wound breakdown and I now have a hole they are trying to close on the side of my foot. All they can do is pack it with special gauze and cover it waiting for it to heal from the inside out.
My point is that it could always be worse. Someone is worse off than me too and someone is worse off than them. Try to keep your head up and it will pass.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:50 PM   #9
(female)

guardian24 HB User
Unhappy Re: Elevating foot after surgery

My surgery was April 10th I'm now 10 wks post op & sit here with my foot elevated/iced. I got clearance to go back to work June 5th. 8 hrs. a day on carpeted concrete floors is rough. My husband is very concerned so here I am looking for info to calm his nerves about my very swollen foot

Closed Thread