It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2007, 03:17 PM   #1
(male)

rosinberfoot HB User
A question about titanium screws and plates for flat foot surgery

Hi all,
I have a quick question that I'd rather not bother my doctor with at the moment, but I'm sure some of you might know the answer to.
Do the titanium screws and small plate that are going to be used in my foot surgery set off metal detectors? Not that this is a big deal one way or another, but I'd like to know if I'm always going to be flagged by security at airports from now on.
Also, is it safe to get an MRI (should I ever need one again) with the titanium in my foot? I've done a little research and it looks like this is safe, but obviously I'd want to know for sure.
Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2007, 05:52 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

jprinz99 HB User
Re: A question about titanium screws and plates for flat foot surgery

I had one MRI (hips) refused as it was "too close" to my screws yet they did a head MRI and said it was not a problem as my foot was far enough away from the magnetic field. I think it might depend on the facility or type of MRI machine and the proximity of the body part to be scanned (to the hardware). I did feel buzzing when I had my head done; my foot felt vibrations and tingles but no pain.

As for TSA machines I asked my friend who is a TSA screening supervisor. He said you should tell them and ask for a hand wand. The machines (walk thru) will not affect your hardware but depending on the sensitivity level set on the scanners it may or may not go off. Each airport has different sensitivity level they must use and this level may change each day. My friend said they would prefer to know. He said just tell them you have "an implanted device and request a hand inspection" as they do not want any surprises or want to hold up the line at the walk thru machines.

I have had no problem but I get hand wanded as my braces would set off the regular machines and I would end up getting pulled aside for a hand wand inspection anyway (thus I just tell them and go straight for the hand inspection) A side benefit is I tend to get thru security faster than if I had stood in the regular line

Hope this helps-
jane

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2007, 11:05 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

hey.. same advice on the MRI.. they can't do one near the foot but other parts they can. As for metal detectors, I've been through airports and screeners at our Judicial center and neither have been set off thankfully!

Old 07-12-2007, 06:57 AM   #4
(male)

rosinberfoot HB User

Great, thanks for your answers.
One further question, then: how many of you all have felt some pain/bother from your hardware for this surgery, enough that you wanted it taken out at some point? I'm really hoping to just have the surgery and then leave them in there. The though of recovering and then having to go through a whole other surgery just to take them out is really more than I can deal with! My OS says most people are OK with the hardware, but I was just curious...
Also, can one eventually do everything after recovering, even with the hardware in there--run (a short distance), kick a ball, etc? This is really important to me because I'm still pretty young and like to travel a lot and remain active.
Thanks!

Old 07-12-2007, 02:02 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

55steel HB User

I've walked through metal detectors with my knee replacement several times and never set one off. I also had an MRI on my knee when I still had a titanium screw in there. It causes distortion that looks like a black blob around the screw but otherwise it was fine.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:34 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

I'm 2 years out now with my recovery.. I still have some discomfort now and then but I really can't say if that's due to the hardware or just my foot still healing. My mom had a lot of difficulties with hers and had to have the screws removed. Although, if you do have to have them removed the recovery is very quick.

Old 07-14-2007, 12:59 PM   #7
(female)

elainw55 HB User
Red face Re: A question about titanium screws and plates for flat foot surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosinberfoot View Post
Great, thanks for your answers.
One further question, then: how many of you all have felt some pain/bother from your hardware for this surgery, enough that you wanted it taken out at some point? I'm really hoping to just have the surgery and then leave them in there. The though of recovering and then having to go through a whole other surgery just to take them out is really more than I can deal with! My OS says most people are OK with the hardware, but I was just curious...
Also, can one eventually do everything after recovering, even with the hardware in there--run (a short distance), kick a ball, etc? This is really important to me because I'm still pretty young and like to travel a lot and remain active.
Thanks!
hey, rosinberfoot, I understand that you will be going for surgery next week, just wanna wish you luck and a 'reasonably speedy' recovery! I just had a triple arthrodesis on the 3rd of this month, and am still recovery and struggling with everyday trivialities.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:58 PM   #8
(female)

LikeWow HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosinberfoot View Post
Hi all,
I have a quick question that I'd rather not bother my doctor with at the moment, but I'm sure some of you might know the answer to.
Do the titanium screws and small plate that are going to be used in my foot surgery set off metal detectors? Not that this is a big deal one way or another, but I'd like to know if I'm always going to be flagged by security at airports from now on.
Also, is it safe to get an MRI (should I ever need one again) with the titanium in my foot? I've done a little research and it looks like this is safe, but obviously I'd want to know for sure.
Thanks!
No. I have pins in both feet and have never set off a detector yet.

Closed Thread