It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2007, 08:22 PM   #1
(female)

alyssamarie78 HB User
Anyone have surgery to remove Plantar Wart? Questions...

I'm scheduled to get foot surgery to remove a plantar wart later in the week. My wart is not very big...about the size of a nickel and they will not have to stitch up the incision afterwards.

I'm wondering what I should expect from this surgery. How was the surgery itself? In how much pain were you in afterwards? The next day? I'm a little worried because a week after the surgery, I have to attend a friend's wedding and then the week after that we're going on a trip to Mexico. Do you think I will still have problems walking by then? How long will it take for the incision to heal?

Old 07-17-2007, 11:11 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

55steel HB User
Re: Anyone have surgery to remove Plantar Wart? Questions...

I've had a plantar wart removed but I wouldn't call it surgery really. The doctor did it in his office, just numbed it up and cut it out. I walked out of the office. It was a little sore when the Novocaine wore off but nothing major. It didn't require any kind of pain killer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2007, 03:00 PM   #3
(female)

alyssamarie78 HB User

I guess I failed to mention that I've had this wart for almost 5 years. I first tried the regular OTC stuff (Dr. Scholl's) and that didn't work at all. I then went to see my general prac who did several treatments of sodium nitrate. That seemed to help for a little while, then I got pregnant and it surfaced again. After my son was born, I went back to the doctor. He did the treatments again and it kept returning so he referred me to a podiatrist. The podiatrist scapelled it out and I used "beetle juice/sap" on it for a couple of weeks and it came back but bigger than last time. They scappeled it again, I covered it with duct tape for a week, used the beetle juice again and it came back again even bigger. Throughout the years, I've also tried at home remedies like potato and banana peels, hydrogen peroxide, garlic, lemon juice, pineapples. Followed a healthy diet to keep up my immune system but it still keeps coming back. We've basically tried it all (except laser) with no success so this is pretty much our last option....

Last edited by moderator2; 07-18-2007 at 10:06 AM.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:09 PM   #4
(female)

alyssamarie78 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55steel View Post
I've had a plantar wart removed but I wouldn't call it surgery really. The doctor did it in his office, just numbed it up and cut it out. I walked out of the office. It was a little sore when the Novocaine wore off but nothing major. It didn't require any kind of pain killer.
Yes, I had this done too at the podiatrist's office twice. Apparently this procedure is just where they scrape the epidermis layer. What I'm getting done is where they scrape down past the epidermis layer into the dermis layer where the wart apparently lives. Apparently it isn't too deep but it still sounds like a pretty big procedure. It's going to be done in the hospital and I'll be given a local anesthetic. I'm not looking forward to it....

Old 07-18-2007, 12:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB User

My son had success with a plantars wart by using duct tape. Keep it covered 24/7. I think it took a few weeks but it did go away.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:19 PM   #6
(female)

MsTammy HB User

It sounds weird but duct tape absolutely does work. My family doctor told me to try it. He did say, though, to be sure to cut the tape to the size and shape of the wart. Whatever it is in the adhesive eats away at the wart (sounds painful but it is so not- it just felt like wearing a bandaid) and if the tape is bigger than the wart, it will eat away at the surrounding skin that's healthy but under the tape.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:51 PM   #7
(female)

alyssamarie78 HB User

I did try duct tape and I'm not sure why it didn't work for me. I kept it covered and everything but the tape did come off easily and I couldn't get the same piece to stay for longer than 3 days so had to keep changing it. I used it for several weeks but it never went away. If this surgery doesn't work, I will try the duct tape again.

My surgery is on Friday so wish me luck!

Old 07-19-2007, 01:31 PM   #8
(female)

MsTammy HB User

I changed my tape daily. I think the most frustrating part was when it'd occasionally get stuck to the inside of my sock. I didn't even try to gte it to stay for longer than a day, though. I also found that actual Duck brand tape worked better than off-brands (like the generic roll I got at the dollar store). I think the adhesive was considerably better. My wart was quite small (a little smaller than a pencil eraser) but it did take several weeks to work. I would think that with as large as yours is, it'd take quite a while to do much. I also used a pumis stone or foot file a couple times a week to get all the dead skin off.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:13 PM   #9
(male)

JJV HB User

I've used the method where you take a cotton ball, soak it in Apple Cidar Vinegar, and then cover it with a sport-type bandage that sticks even in moist conditions (NexCare Active Sport, for example). Every day I would scrape down the wart and then repeat. This took about a month for me to get rid of a plantar wart that I had on my foot for over a year. One thing I found is that the cotton ball has to cover MORE than the surface area of the wart, since plantar warts are like icebergs. I used a cuticle cutter to cut away the excess skin to make as much of the wart show as possible.

It worked, but it was NOT a painless process. The placing of a cotton ball soaked in ACV over a "raw" wart hurt like heck. The throbbing was especially bad at night. I found myself rotating between Advil and Tylenol to manage the pain.

What I found odd about the whole process is I know that it is a myth that warts have roots or stems; however, there were these white stem-like pieces that seemed to pop up through the wart. Slowly as I killed these and unrooted them, the wart grew smaller and smaller.

Good luck with the surgery. I would think that in a week's time you should be able to walk around just fine. If not, maybe taking a non-narcotic painkiller like Tylenol would "take the edge off" enough where you would still be able to enjoy yourself before your activities. That's what I did before my ballroom dance lessons.

The duct tape method was also unsuccessful for me. Even though I could keep the tape on, the darn wart never went away!!

Old 07-21-2007, 09:17 AM   #10
(female)

alyssamarie78 HB User

Just wanted to give you all an update. I went through with the surgery yesterday. Surprisingly, I'm not in any pain this morning but I did have to take a couple of Ibprofens last night. I have this huge bandage on my foot but I can still walk on my heel. I haven't seen the "wound" yet since I can't remove the bandage. I go to the doctor's on Monday and they'll do it for me. The doctor did tell me that my wart went all the way down to the fatty tissue in my foot so that is how deep she had to cut...YIKES! That could possibly explain why the duct tape didn't work for me.

So I'm just hoping and praying that this surgery took care of the wart and I won't have to deal with those horrible warts again!

Old 08-05-2007, 04:02 PM   #11
(female)

ilovejohnv624 HB User

Hi...I had a similar type surgery(I think) this past May..I thought it was a plantars wart and I applied the dr scholls stuff and it burned me and made it infected and then abcess..the podiatrist performed surgery at a ambulatory hospital and I was out that day..he had my family remove the bandage the following day and that was the most escrusciating pain I have been in my life! The incision was left OPEN and they had pull a peice of packing strip about a foot long out of my foot and then repack the same length back in for 3 days until i saw the dr again( I have since left him...I think he is a wacko and i am seeing someone else..)I was in the worst place i have ever been...I thought I literally was dying...truly I did....it has been 10 weeks since my surgery and the wound is slowly closing...I am praying it is healing good enough or the doctor says he will have to do a surgical debridement and I swear I cant handle anymore pain...even though all dr's seem to say "You shouldnt be in that much pain...take ibuprophen because the pain your feeling is from the swelling..." blah blah blah....I am curious as to if you had stitches or not? And how are you doing and how long it has been since you had the surgery...I am STILL using the orto-wedge and have painful heel blisters from it and dr doesnt care about that either....

Old 08-10-2007, 11:30 AM   #12
(female)

jennk71 HB User
Exclamation Re: Anyone have surgery to remove Plantar Wart? Questions...

I had in office surgery to remove two plantar warts that were side by side in my heel about 7 years ago. They had to go pretty deep to dig them out. I had a narrow but very deep hole from the procedure.

I'm not sure if the warts have returned or not, but the area is a total disaster! Ask your doctor how to keep it from scarring. I don't mean because you don't want to see a scar on your foot, but I have an ever growing cluster of scar tissue that is 20 times bigger and very deeply cracked, and WAY more painful and troublesome than my warts ever were since the surgery (see my post for more info). Maybe my doctor screwed something up and yours did it right - I wish you the very best - but ask if there is aftercare so you can avoid the trauma that I live with as a side effect of the wart removal.

Hope you're on the mend and having fun in Mexico!
JennK

Closed Thread