It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2007, 07:48 AM   #1
(male)

jeffrey49 HB User
Bone Stimulator Side Effects

Hi,
My wife recently was prescribed with an electromagnetic bone stimulator to help heal a stress fracture in her foot. Problem is, it appears that this has made her bunion worse. Her doctor suggested this could be a side effect. Has anybody else had this experience?
Thanks,
Jeffrey49

Old 07-24-2007, 03:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
Re: Bone Stimulator Side Effects

hi, i had a bone stimulator and i never heard of any side effects. it sounds like your wife and i had the same kind. tell me more about it. debbie g

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2007, 05:33 PM   #3
(female)

cosmic1 HB User

I had a bone stimulator with bunion surgery.
The biggest problem was that the sales person told me that my insurance co would pay for it. I had absolutely no reason to not believe him!!
Big surprise when I found out that they would not pay for it and it cost 5000 dollars!!
The company then stated that they would absorbe the cost but SURPRISE I got notice that I was sent to a interim collection agency.
I did, with much force, get this company to completely absorbe the cost!!!
BEWARE......
I used it for my first foot surgery and it made my foot red and swollen!!
It must have been doing something (as in increasing the circulation).
However, I did not use it for the second foot. I had severe bunions and extensive surgery.
I was told that I could walk on my heel at week 2 for both feet in a cam walker.
With the first foot, I walked about alot.
With the second foot, I did not use the stimulator at all.
I decreased my activity much more so than with the first foot.
My second foot healed extremely well and fast.
I do not know what to say about your situation.
However, the stimulator really made my foot more swollen and red by comparison to the first surgery.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:49 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

penybobeny HB User

Hi there... I had an external bone stimulator for a non-union of the calcanius, so it is not exactly the same, but I do have exp. with both that and an internal bone stimulator.

A bone stimulator can cause some pain (though not always) due to the 'forced' growth of bone. It should pass within a week, during the meantime ice is a great help.

I had no success with the external stimulator (just was not powerful enough) and they had to place an internal one under my skin and leave it there. (they left it a year, which was way way too long and caused boney overgrowth that severed a tendon...)

If in a weeks time she is still experiencing increased pain have her call her Dr to discuss it.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

i think the bone stimualator is a waste of time. we thought we were renting the stim and not paying for it. we got the bill and i told the dr he was ouit of his mind.$5000.00. my insurance paid some and the dr paid the rest.

Closed Thread