It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2007, 03:39 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User
Heel pain. Any ideas what this is?

Hi everyone,
I'm usually over on the back board, but I have a foot problem and thought I'd ask if any of you have any idea what's going on.

I recently joined a gym, 10 months post op for a spinal fusion, so I'm being very careful what I do there. I started off walking slowly on the treadmill and worked my way up to the Elliptical machine. The day after I used the Elliptical, I had a kind of sharp, stinging, burning pain in the "corner" of one heel, if that makes sense. I didn't use the Elliptical again, have just been using the treadmill, but it hasn't gotten any better in several weeks now. It doesn't hurt constantly and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to when it hurts. I've taken a break from walking for about 4 days in a row several times to give it some healing time, but I don't want to just stop altogether. I'm no athlete, just trying to recover from all these back issues, so I don't want to quit the gym.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any idea what it is? Any suggestions what to do for it?

I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks so much,
Emily

Old 08-05-2007, 06:44 PM   #2
(female)

kimba42 HB User
Re: Heel pain. Any ideas what this is?

it my be a heel spur. that is when your tendon gets really stretched out from normal wear and tear and your bone builds a spur to accomadate the inflammed tendon. you may do well to go see a podiatrist and have some xrays taken. good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2007, 07:12 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Or plantar faciitis. Try stretching out the foot before you get out of bed or up from sitting. I had this after a broken foot one time. Was just from having the foot immobile for so long.

Old 08-06-2007, 02:46 PM   #4
(female)

moomin46 HB User

I had plantar fasciitis last year, it begun very gradually with not being able to dash downstairs first thing in the morning as the bottoms of my feet were sore. It got worse and was at other times of day too. I developed a limp in the end especially after sitting down and when I went to stand up again.

Saw a podiatrist and after only a couple of sessions he recommended some new balance trainers (orthotically very good) and he then fitted me with some inserts into them and I wore them all the time for maybe 2/3 months and the pain gradually wore off. I still get troubled with a niggle the odd time and if its gets bad I will be back in my trainers again.

I have bad heel pain at the moment due to a plaster cast removal after 2/3 months so not sure if its the PF again or just from being immobile for so long.

If I were you I would start with my GP.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:18 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Thank you for your responses! I'm making an appt and trying the morning stretching. If it gets better before the appt comes, I can always cancel it.

Thanks a bunch!
Emily

Closed Thread