It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2007, 09:21 AM   #1
(female)

moomin46 HB User
Unhappy Foot Pain after broken ankle

HI

I have been in a plaster cast for 8 weeks after breaking two bones in my ankle and having ORF surgery with screws and plates on both sides of ankle.

I know it is early days and the cast has been off four days but the pain is awful. The ankle itself is not too bad its my heel, it is unbearable and feels like I am walking on rocks. I have not started physio yet but will do in three days. Until then I am out of my mind with this as I do not know whether to rest it, work it, and if so how to work it. I am trying to force myself to weight bear but its torture.

Can anyone advise Please?
Thanks for reading

Old 08-06-2007, 09:43 AM   #2
(female)

monster bunion HB User
Re: Foot Pain after broken ankle

I didn't have a broken ankle, but I had a bunionectomy and was in a cast for 6 weeks. When I got the cast off, just like you, the heel really hurt to put pressure on it, which I thought was really weird. Today is the seventh day, and I can finally walk on it without it hurting. To start, I used the crutches and only put partial weight on the foot, took 50 steps or so, iced it for 10 min., then rested for two hours, and did this throughout the day.The next day, 100 steps at a time, then the next day 200 steps at a time, remembering to ice after walking, and do your stretching exercises. I used the crutches for about 5 days because I'm a big chicken and can't stand to have pain at night when I sleep because I've already been through so many sleepless nights. If I felt the foot throbbing or sore at bedtime, I took Tylenol. My method may be slower than other people on these boards, who could ditch the crutches after 2 hours or 2 days. Hope this helps, and good luck to you, you are so close to walking now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2007, 10:39 AM   #3
(female)

heidi35 HB User

HI! I am having the same problem as you, except I had surgery to repair tendon, ligaments and my heel shifted and fixed with screws. I was in a nwb cast for 7 weeks, put in a boot on thursday and told i could start walking on it. Since then every step i take is extremly painful. I have tried using it more and I have tried resting it and it is always the same pain.
I am using my crutches because i cant take the pain with out them. I dont know how long to let the pain go on like this? I go on vacation with my family in 2 days and i am not sure how it is going to go. The Dr. did tell me no pool except floating on a float and then i even had to have help getting on it.
I hope you feel better soon!
Heidi

Old 08-06-2007, 10:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

missyou009 HB User

Never walk barefoot.I'm living in my Crocs right now because walking barefoot hurts too much.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:08 PM   #5
(female)

moomin46 HB User

You're right walking barefoot is pure agony. Funnily enough I am waiting for some crocs to come in the post!!
I just can't understand why its my heel that hurts so much?

Old 08-06-2007, 01:39 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

missyou009 HB User

I'm really not sure why it's the heel that hurts so much,but that is what it is in my case also.Hopefully your Crocs come soon!They have really helped me.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:41 PM   #7
(female)

relteach HB User

I just today was told I could get out of my aircast and into a stiff-soled shoe. I got a pair of new balance cross trainers and my heel is more sore now than it was when I went from cast (after 15 weeks) into the aircast!! It must be from the pressure that is now being exerted toward the hard sole surface--at least I hope that's what it's from!

Lisa

Old 08-06-2007, 02:39 PM   #8
(female)

moomin46 HB User

I have some new balance trainers too with insoles as I have had plantar fasciitis in the past. That is a heel problem, I'm not too sure its not that which is the problem with my heel now.

Closed Thread