It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2007, 11:57 AM   #1
(female)

mazzie46 HB User
Calcaneal Osteotomy, numbness in foot.

Hi all, i had my Op on 28th June for calcaneal osteotomy ( sliding type with screws) A tibialis tendon reconstruction, plus a chondral flap removal. I came out my cast yesterday and into a boot. All the scars look great, although really sore in the boot now! I'm trying the new silicone plasters for scar reduction.

The thing i am worried about is, the skin around the scars is totally numb, i expected that a bit....but almost the whole of the underneath of my foot is numb! I didnt realise this till i came home.
Is this normal??

Mazzie

Old 08-07-2007, 03:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
Re: Calcaneal Osteotomy, numbness in foot.

i know the scars and surrounding areas will be numb. i dont know about the bottom of the foot. iknow the bottom of my foot was numb after toe fusion and hammertoe correction for a while.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2007, 03:38 PM   #3
(female)

mazzie46 HB User

Hi Debbie

How long was yours numb for??

Last edited by mazzie46; 08-07-2007 at 03:39 PM. Reason: bumped

Old 08-07-2007, 04:30 PM   #4
(female)

debincalif HB Userdebincalif HB User

Mazzie,

I had calcaneal osteotomy (Evans procedure) and posterior tibial tendon repair done in mid-March. For quite a while I did have numbness across the bottom of my foot, but it has all returned to normal now. I have numbness on the skin under the scar on the inside of my foot - still numb! - but not on the top. On the outside of my foot (osteotomy site) I had numbness and extreme sensitivity from the incision all the way up to my pinkie toe. It has gotten better, but still have about an inch-wide area that has numbness and sensitivity.

I've talked a lot to my doctor about this. My doctor said it can take up to a year for the nerves and blood vessels to completely heal and for the numbness to resolve. He said in a few cases, there is lingering numbness that never goes away.

It is an annoying sensation - and the bottom of the foot drove me buggy. It felt like an elastic band was around my foot. But it does go away and improve little by little. Be patient with the process... it is a long recovery!

Good luck,
Deb

The Following User Says Thank You to debincalif For This Useful Post:
lightstepper (07-25-2011)
Old 08-08-2007, 05:51 AM   #5
(female)

mazzie46 HB User

Phew, thanks Deb, i was quite worried about it. I have read all your posts on your recovery, and i know its been long, and hard!! The scars are just so sore, it makes it almost impossible to try walking!! My heel is numb and alive ( with pain) at the same time. I have actually found the best way to sleep with it, is to wrap it in a huge wad of cotton wool, and put the boot sock over it...was bliss!! I know i am only 6 weeks post op though, and i am weight bearing a little bit already, and start physio today.. I just didnt know it was gonna be this hard, my emotions are spilling out all over the place.

Heres hoping it all changes soon!!

Thanks again, and hope things keep going well for you.

Mazzie

Old 08-08-2007, 01:46 PM   #6
(female)

Mazzie,

Be very careful with your physical therapy. You're still very fresh out of surgery and weight bearing already! I was 9 weeks non-weight bearing, and didn't start therapy until about 11 or 12 weeks post-op. You certainly don't want to push yourself too hard and go backwards in your progress.

Also, keep an eye on your incisions if you're using the silicone pads on them. They can easily become irritated if the wounds aren't healed enough.

Keep us informed as to your progress... and good luck to you!
Deb

Old 08-08-2007, 06:29 PM   #7
(female)

lesliekupe HB User

Mazzie-
I also had mine done at the end of March and was numb across the whole front of my foot. It has slowly gone away, but my toes are still tingly and feel like they have cotton stuffed between them. Also, like Debbie wrote I've been told it can take a year or more for the nerves to rejuvanate- so I don't think you have to worry, it sounds pretty normal, but I know everything is scary. I won't say how many nites I lay awake worrying that I would never walk normally again (I still do sometimes, but it is getting better).
Leslie

Old 08-08-2007, 07:25 PM   #8
(female)

sunny77 HB User

Hi Mazzie,
I had a similar procedure to Deb and am currently 10 weeks post-op. I have numbness on the outside of my foot (osteotomy side), but it has decreased very slowly over time (and with less swelling). My dr told me the nerves regenerate at a rate of 1mm/day...so you can see why it takes so long to recover. My PT said the circulatory system is connected with the nervous system, so one thing I've been doing is gently massaging the numb area with some cocoa butter/vitamin E lotion to encourage the circulation in that area (as well as around the incisions). I, too, started PT at 6 wks and they had me walking right away, which was hard, being that the foot is sensitive, stiff and in pain. Just got out of the boot this week and am in shoes full time, another milestone, bittersweet (more pain). It has gotten better, but it's a lot of hard work and, again, it underscores what a long recovery is involved. But, the fact that my foot supinates now, not overpronates, is pretty amazing! Know that it gets better! Keep us posted!
Krista

Old 08-08-2007, 10:26 PM   #9
(female)

Krista,

Leslie started a thread so all of us PTTDers can check in... Check in and say hello!

I found it interesting that you talk about supination vs. overpronation because just today I was standing at the sink doing dishes (one of the joys of being mobile again, LOL) and did a little experiment.

I stood on my right foot (non-surgery foot) and noticed that my center of gravity was in the center of my foot, between the ball and 5th ray at the front of my arch. Then I stood on my left foot (repaired foot) and the center of gravity was toward the outside of my foot and more centered just in front of my osteotomy site. The muscles my feet used to grip and stabilize my body were also totally different... very interesting stuff.

Good to hear from you - and Mazzie, keep us updated on how you're feeling!
Deb

Old 08-09-2007, 12:43 PM   #10
(female)

mazzie46 HB User

Hi Deb, Krista and leslie

Thanks for all your answers, it really does help to hear others experiences, and how your all doing. I'm not worried now about the numbness, as you've all had the same thing, and i too have laid awake at night wondering if i would ever walk again.
My problems were all through an accident that happened 3 and a half years ago...... Can you believe i fell down a disabled ramp!! ( i can hear you laughing, lol) Ironic or what!! I broke my fibula, it healed, yet i could never walk properly again...took them this long to figure out why..idiots! Anyway, i thought that might make you all smile a bit.

The scar on inside of my foot is a nightmare!! Its so sore, and i am starting to massage it now. Has anyone found anything that helps it stop rubbing in the boot though??

Please all keep updating!

Mazzie

PS Deb....i thought it was a bit early for PT too, i trust her totally though and surgeon said go for it....its all such a worry though, like your life in their hands really! Really happy to hear i'm not the only one to start therapy early though .... do you think we'll all need the other type of therapy by the time its all over..... The mental health type maybe??

Old 08-09-2007, 01:11 PM   #11
(female)

Abikat HB User

The scar on inside of my foot is a nightmare!! Its so sore, and i am starting to massage it now. Has anyone found anything that helps it stop rubbing in the boot though??

Mazzie...

I'm 6 months post-op. When I was in my boot, I had one area on my heel that seemed to be rubbing. After trying different padding, I finally ended up putting a "panty liner" pad over it and then wrapping it a couple times around with Co-flex (a kind of sticky wrap). That worked and it stayed put on my foot in the boot.

As for numbness --- much of the numbness on the bottem of my foot is gone. It's still numb around my incision on the medial side of my foot and my toes still feel weird. Kind of numb, but also always feel like they would if you had dried mud stuck on them all the time.

Mary

Old 08-09-2007, 04:20 PM   #12
(female)

mazzie46 HB User

Mary

Thanks for that, if it worked for you, it may work for me too, so panty liners have just got added to the shopping list! I'll give anything a try, as i feel the scars are stopping me really walking properly.

Thanks again
Mazzie

Last edited by mazzie46; 08-09-2007 at 04:22 PM.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:35 PM   #13
(female)

LOL, Mary, I never would have thought to try panty liners!

What I used was sterile non-stick pads from the drug store and I also used the self-adhesive wrap.

Mazzie, I have used two things similar to the "wobble mat" you described. One is like a giant ball (like those big exercise balls) cut in half and mounted on a plastic disc. In my exercises with that, I lunge forward and plant my foot in the center of the ball and try to maintain balance for a few seconds before repeating. The other one was on a square squishy foam pad where I stand on the one foot and try to balance.

I also do the BAPS board - it is awfully hard! I have progressed to doing it standing on the one foot (but I have to hold onto something for balance) and do back/forth, side/side, and circle motions. I still don't have the strengh on my inversion to make it go all the way, so I give it a nudge with my other foot.

But enough about physical therapy - it makes me tired just typing about it!

Good healing to everyone!
Deb

Old 08-10-2007, 11:48 AM   #14
(female)

mazzie46 HB User

Lolol, here i am joking about needing "Therapy", and in the same thread talking seriously about "Panty liners for my foot"

That speaks volumes! Lol,

Old 05-04-2008, 09:53 AM   #15
(female)

rexe7 HB User

I am 23 years old, 10 days post op for an ankle scope and debriedment, tendon reconstruction, and calcaneal osteotomy. The surgeon said it all went well and I was home 2 days after surgery, after a lot of difficulty getting the pain under control. I have had some good days where I can be up on crutches for about 15min before the blood going to my foot causes discomfort, though have spent a lot of time on the couch with my foot up. I am down to Tylenol 1's every 4 to 6 hours, wishing I had something slightly stronger, though they work alright. My half cast is loose as the swelling is down so much, which causes a little pain and discomfort, as I think my stitches are being tugged slightly with movement. I will get the stiches out, and a full cast early next week.

I still have not got feeling in my littlest toe, and down that side of my foot. This had really started to worry me, as my Dr. had not really said anything about this, he would come into the recovery room, and my hospital room, and just touch my first 3 toes to see if I could feel them, ignoring the smaller ones. I had taken my mother with me for my consult so she could help ask important questions as well, unfortunatly both of us forgot to ask about comlications, or issues like numbness.

It took a lot of searching to find this forum. I have read a lot of posts, and am feeling so much better hearing everyone elses experiences, especially about the numbness, as I havent been able to sleep much wondering how I will be able to walk without feeling part of my foot.

Closed Thread