It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2007, 10:58 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

happyfoot7 HB User
Talking Hintegra Ankle replacement

Hiya everyone,

Kira here, had a bit of a boo boo didn't read the rules and accidentally got my handle banned, but they gave me another chance but had to get a new handle (they were very nice really)

I got my cast off, my xrays looked "perfect" which is pretty cool coz these surgeons certainly don't just throw that word around. So I'm walking again without any boot or strapping or anything. It is going really well, I'm very very slow, but no pain, my foot just gets very tired and swollen (but day 3 of no cast so not surprising!). I started water-running yesterday and start easy cycling on my trainer at home tomorrow. It is so cool, can't wait to get the strength back and lengthen my archilles and for the swelling to go down. My physio is so impressed and says that if it is just my achilles preventing me at the momemt, then I will gain ROM quickly. None of the physios or my OS can believe the results, they are so so so happy, as am I. I'm getting impatient now, but it is a long road ahead, 2 years till total recovery. Hopeing to start golf lessons in a month or two depending on my ROM. On another up-side, not being so depressed I have stragely lost 14 pounds, without really trying, I just don't seem to be eating as much junk as I was before. Pretty happy but realised if I want my leg to last long have to loose a lot more weight, but that takes time. Anyway everything is just going swimmingly for me right now.

Drew,

All I can remember is that, it only cost me 30,000 swiss francs for the operation and hospital fees etc (in hospital for 8 days!) and that it seemed comparable to your costs, so if your insurance doesn't cover it, then I highly recommend you go and see hintermann himself. You could ask him to recommend someone in canada, or make an appointment to see him. If you met him I have no doubt that you would think you were making the right decision. He has a 98% success rate, so maybe it is just that the other surgeons aren't as experienced. Anyway, let me know how things go.

Kira

Last edited by moderator2; 08-12-2007 at 07:35 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to happyfoot7 For This Useful Post:
Freedom 50 (05-24-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2007, 06:38 AM   #2
(female)

walkabout HB User
Re: Hintegra Ankle replacement

Hey Kira,
Nice to hear that things are going great with you! I am taking my boot off a little at a time and just walking bare footed with a cane around the house. I will be seeing my OS on Wednesday in hopes to go to the next step. I have not had any PT yet and I'm thinking that it may make all the difference the world. The facia muscle at the arch of my foot feels very tight. I'm thinking that if it gets stretched out, it could be the ticket to walking better.
I think I found the 14 pounds that you lost ...lol. My mobility hasn't been as good since the OP. I am looking forward to working out again. Patience,patience patience.
Thanks for keeeping us posted and keep up the good work!!

Karen

Old 08-12-2007, 07:13 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

happyfoot7 HB User

Hey Karen,

So good to hear that things are much better for you!! Awesome you are walking around a bit, hope the OS gives you the all clear! The physio certainly helped my very tight claves, did make the world of difference so hopefully will with your arch.

What kind of workouts are you planning on doing when you get going?? I'm just doing core strength, water-running (very slow jogging would be a better description haha), swimming and some very easy cycling (just 5-10 minutes at the moment). I'm running low on other ideas, but figure this will do till I can do more. If you have any others please let me know, I like varying my workouts or I burn out.

Going to Hamburg on holiday in 2 weeks (my dad, brother, uncle and flatmate are racing in the triathlon world champs - age groups except flatmate who is pro- going to watch)...a bit worried about if I can do all the walking, taking my cane though. The surgeon said ok if I take it easy. It's gonna be hard to watch instead of the one racing, I haven't been to many races since I had to stop, so think it might add a lot to the frustration of not even being able to walk properly...especially running into old training and racing friends. but hey I'll suck it up, I'm on the mend now finally and so happy about that ! And who knows this might be the only time all 3 qualify in the same year (and my uncle has a good chance at winning his agegroup) I know I'll regret it if I didn't go. I really am so happy to walk again but it is just going to be so hard not to think, damn this would have been me still without my accident, but got to live in the present eh! Anyway that's my complaining for now, just had to get it off my chest

Great to hear your good progress!
Kira

Old 08-13-2007, 05:32 PM   #4
(female)

walkabout HB User
Smile Re: Hintegra Ankle replacement

Kira,
I totally understand how frustrating it is not to be able to do things like you use to. If you remember my other post, I mentioned that I not only am dealing with my ankle fused, but both of my hips have been replaced due to hip displacea. My hips are great. Yes, I have limits, but I am very active and nothing really stops me...until this ankle bit. Fusion is a whole lot different than replacement. It is very hard to try to figure out how to move different parts of your foot when you only know the one way.
How awesome that you and your family are so involved in the triatholon. Best wishes to them and you for being there for support. It may be on the other end of the event by watching, but the point is is that you are there for something you love and your ankle will get strong. Before you know it, you will be off to the races as well (well....you know what I mean).
I have a pool that I am doing water walking in. It feels good to get things moving. I will let you know what the Doc says about further activity.
Take Care, Karen

Old 08-15-2007, 02:56 PM   #5
(female)

walkabout HB User
Talking Re: Hintegra Ankle replacement

Hi Kira!
How is your ankle coming along? Well, I went to the OS today and I can get rid of the boot!! Yeh!!! But, I need to have PT starting tomorrow to learn how to walk with the right gate motion. He told me to get a pair of running shoes and work with those. Well, I bought a pair, tried them on and It felt so weird. My leg is a little shorter than my left leg which throws me off balance. For now until I can get it right, I think I will use my cane just to keep me more balanced. I also put an insert in my shoe to try to make things more even. What a process!!! Here I go back to the sho delema. I sure hope once I can get stregnth back, that I will be able to master some other shoes other than tennis shoes. I'm o.k. with not being able to where high heels but running shoes are not the greatest if you drees up to go out.
Kira, I guess we just need to be thankful. I am fully aware that there are other people out there that are worse off than us.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:58 PM   #6
(male)

DARKLYLIT HB User

Hey Kira,
Glad to hear that you're doing so well and NO PAIN! That's FANTASTIC! Wish I could say the same. I wear my carbon-fibre lower leg/ankle brace most of the time now as my ankle becomes pretty painful within about a half-hour without it. I'm trying to make some sort of decision about things, but it is not easy. I figure I'll send my x-rays to Dr Bugbee and see what he has to say about it and try and contact Hintermann and see if he can recommend someone who might agree to use the Hintegra on my ankle. I'm REALLY not thrilled about the prospect of a fusion even though ALL the surgeons I've talked to up to this point seemed to think it's the best option for me.The last surgeon I saw in seemed to think the youngest person in Canada to ever receive a TAR(Total Ankel Replacement) was 55! Not exactly "cutting-edge eh?

Good to hear you're doing well.

bye for now

Drew

Old 08-16-2007, 07:49 AM   #7
(female)

walkabout HB User

Hey Drew,
I am 4 months out from a fusion. I just got the boot off yesterday and and this mourning I had PT. Things are slowly starting to move around better. The PT stretched my foot where I am feeling more motion. I rode a stationary bike and he gave me exercises to do at home. He told me that he has had only 2 patients that had replacements (elderly ones) and the rest were fusions. He said that his patients do quite well and that it just takes time. Up to a year. Best wishes in your decision. I know that it is very hard to make. Especially when your dealing with your own future. I can tell you that I am not experiencing pain in my ankle at all. I guess that was the point. Keep in touch. I would love to hear what your progress is.
Karen

Old 08-16-2007, 09:57 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

happyfoot7 HB User

Hey guys,

All going really well here, walking improving every day, swelling quite a bit now I am back at work in the office ( was mainly working from home) but able to negotiate the bus & walk well now. getting much faster now I have a bit more mobility. I went swim training the other day for the first time, and died coz so unfit haha was weird feeling with my foot. There are two strage things for me that I didn't expect, appart from the swelling my ankle feels normal...I mean I really don't feel like I have any implant (I guess your hips were like that karen) weird eh! I thought it would feel different. And the second is that before my leg was a little shorter than the otherone (I guess with no cartilage and wearing out the bones a bit) and now it is the same length it is taking a bit of getting used to. (I saw you are having things in exact reverse karen, it is weird mis-stepping sometime eh!) I'm sure it won't take long to aadjust to the new length.

Great to hear your leg is going well after physio and you are on the bike karen!! Onwards and upwards eh! Yeah I guess in the grand scheme of things a stuffed ankle is pretty small...but when its me, I find it sometimes hard to remember that =) On the shoes front, when I was talking about fusion with my OS she said I would be able too wear small heels when I had recovered enough... so I'm sure there are many cute shoes in your future!

Drew,
sorry to hear that the news isn't what you were hoping for. let us know what bugbee says, but at least you can see from Karen's progress fusion seems to be getting comparable results to my replacement! I'm sure she would agree, that no pain is every bit worth it (even though we aren't super mobile yet!) The no pain bit is definately the best part as far as I can see...makes everything much more enjoyable!

Keep me posted!
Kira

Old 08-16-2007, 12:31 PM   #9
(female)

walkabout HB User

No, the key word to "not mobile yet", is "YET". I have every intention on pushing this therapy to it's fullest. You are right Kira, I don't even notice that I have hip implants. Alot of people are surprised to hear that when I tell them. Thanks for the hope on the cute shoes. I will look forward to that in the near future.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:56 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

happyfoot7 HB User

karen,
Yeah YET wes the key word, both early days in recovery for us, but like you I certainly intend on being active and mobile again (as soon as possible!!) I have even started looking at golf clubs and finding a golf pro... I'm just a little keen and eager to start putting the new ankle through its paces... hopefully golf next month, but when the physio gives the all clear I want to be ready to go!

Yeah bring on the cute shoes...after 8 months in MBT's and now trainers and Tevas I really can't wait to shop for a pair of cute shoes!!

Old 08-19-2007, 06:58 PM   #11
(male)

DARKLYLIT HB User

Heya,

Thanks for the feedback K and K. I appreciate it. Karen, I'm wondering what your ankle injury was and how long it took you to decide on a fusion. It seems to really depend on how long you want to put up with ever-increasing pain. I am finding that more and more now. It's been worse and worse since last November and it certainly does affect one's life in more ways than one, but I can't just make a "snap" decision about something so more or less "permanent".
Thanks

Drew

Old 08-20-2007, 06:05 AM   #12
(female)

walkabout HB User
Talking Re: Hintegra Ankle replacement

Well Drew, I had arthritis in my ankle (bone on bone) for 3 1/2 years and it was very painful. During that time I was able to take cortasone shots every 3 months and it worked great. My doctor mentioned to me often about getting my ankle fused and my reply was, why should I, when the shots were working. I think I was hoping that by then there would be other options. As a matter of fact, there was...for a moment. I was informed that the U.S. was thinking about approving an injection that had "chicken cartalidge" in it. I'm not sure what the tech term is, but it is approved here for the knee. He told me that I would have to be fre from cortasone for 3 months and he would let me know when I can start the testing. I was going to be a "guine pig" sort of speak. November of 2006 I was told that the U.S. decided not to go ahead with it because there were other issues money wise, that were more important. I was devistated!!! You know Drew, it is a huge decision, and only you can make the call. When the shots did'nt work for me and the pain took over, I thought what choice do I have. I have children and a husband who need me. I could'nt hardly walk with the pain.
Yes, the pain I had in the ankle is gone. I must say that it is a major change with the ankle fused. I am trying to learn how to walk with this. I do see that if I can just stretch everything out more, maybe this could work. Patience is what I am trying to have. Trust me, you will need alot of it. Four months is a long time to get to this point. If you are in that much pain Drew, what good is it going to be for you? What is your reason for having the surgery? Were you injured? If you do decide to have this done. I will be right here to help you in anyway. It is nice to be able to talk to someone who really knows what you are going through. Please keep me posted!

Karen

Old 08-20-2007, 06:44 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

happyfoot7 HB User

Hey Drew,

Obviously this is a difficult decision, and only one you can make, whether you can have a decent quality of life on cortizone etc. Maybe you could consider getting a fusion which later could be turned into a replacement if you weren't happy with it in a few years... I'm sure you have thought of that though...

Happy Karen can give you advice on what fusion is like, and what to expect if you get it. People who have had the operation seem more hepful often than the doctors on the realities post-op, and nifty ways to make life easier.

All the best, please keep us posted on how things go, any news from Bugbee?
Kira

Old 08-20-2007, 07:55 AM   #14
(female)

walkabout HB User

Drew,
Another thing you could do, which I wish I would have done, is to ask your OS if you could actually speak to a patient that has had it done by him. Maybe you could even meet up with this person to see what their ankle looks like and how they walk. To me, seeing is believing. I still hav'nt seen someone with an ankle fusion. I'm hoping to run into someone at PT. I am heading there right now. Talk to ya again soon!!!

Karen

Last edited by walkabout; 08-20-2007 at 07:57 AM. Reason: error in a word

Old 08-21-2007, 11:24 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

happyfoot7 HB User

Hey Drew,

I was jsut talking to a lady in Canada who's friend got a successful ankle replacement in India, fo 6500, She got told she was too young for a replacement today, she is 54. SO she is going to look into possibly going to India. she is going to find out what kind it was and who the surgeon is etc and let me know. Possibly something to consider depending on implant/surgeon etc. A top hospital in India would be great (I spent 3 weeks in one when I had hookworm there on holiday...not the best holiday, but totally fantastic hospital and doctors).

Will let you know when I find out more, just for interests sake.

All the best

Kira

Closed Thread