It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2007, 03:41 PM   #1
(female)

piggygirl HB User
hemi implant removed??

Has anyone ever had a hemi joint implant removed??

Old 08-15-2007, 05:07 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: hemi implant removed??

My understanding is that you have to have a fusion at that point.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2007, 05:40 PM   #3
(female)

piggygirl HB User

So, it can only be replaced and not removed..am I correct on this

Old 08-15-2007, 06:43 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

That's my understanding...replace or fusion. And from what I'm told, replacement doesn't usually work due the way it has to be installed. If the implant fails, the standard next step is fusion.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:12 PM   #5
(female)

SoCalSharon HB User

In 1/03 I had a Keller Bunionectomy for cartilage damage in the joint, I didn't have a bunion. My toe stuck up, was really short and still very painful so in 9/03 I got a hemi implant. The "metal hemi-toe" implant was removed 7/05 because it hadn't seated properly. I was told another implant would eventually need to be replaced so a fusion was done (1st MTP) with a bone graft from my hip. In 4/06 after removing hardware it was discovered the fusion failed so I had a revision in 7/06 which has healed. 3 weeks ago I had the plate and 6 screws removed due to nerve irritation and am healing well. This was my 6th surgery. FYI - I would never want a bone graft from my hip again, it failed anyway and now my hip hurts daily, which I've since learned is quite common. So if you need a fusion with graft talk to doc about donor bone. Hope this is useful and please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, keep us posted.

Last edited by SoCalSharon; 08-16-2007 at 02:14 PM.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:06 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

sorefootsophie HB User

Hi Sharon, I'm so glad to hear that your fusion has finally taken! It has been a long road. I had the 3rd attempt done in May and am VERY happy to say that all looks very good so far this time. I have been back in shoes about 5 weeks now and started PT this week. Wow, I just can't believe the difference in the feeling when it actually fuses. I know I still have a ways to go but GREAT so far! Did you have to spend anytime NWB when you had the plate and screws removed? Did you have it done at a surgery center? 9Local with MAC anesthesia?) I also have a plate but 5 screws and I had a bone graft from my heel. The heel is not painful unless the shoe irritates it! I'm hoping to never have to have the plate and screws removed but would love to get a heads up on the disability it might entail. Again, I am so happy to hear that things have worked out for you! Sophie

Piggygirl, It is my understanding that an implant can be replaced with another implant. Did you have a metal implant? If you don't want to have another implant put in....you could opt for the fusion but the recovery time is a lot longer. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Closed Thread