It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2007, 10:19 AM   #1
(male)

DaleZ HB User
How do you sleep?

How do you sleep?

One month ago I fractured my left calcaneus. Had ORIF, plate and screws installed. Still swollen and still hurts 24 7 but I have learned to live with it.
Stopped the narcoticís after the second week cause they made me sick as a dog! Tried some Ibuprophen then read where it is considered a Non-steroid Anti-Inflammatory Drug and it can inhibit new bone growth. So I just gave up on the drugs and just live with it.
But I am becoming exhausted. I havenít sleep a full night since I got hurt and its beginning to take a toll on me.
I tried sleeping in the bed but canít take the pain so I sleep in the recliner with my foot elevated as high as possible but the comfort level is not there for sleeping. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2007, 10:38 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

dancergal19 HB User
Re: How do you sleep?

have you asked your Dr about trying another type of pain med? I was given percocet for my surgery and was fine but some people have to try 2 or 3 different types of pain meds before they find one that works for them. Also ask him about anti-nausea medication to go with the pain meds.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2007, 11:58 AM   #3
(female)

monster bunion HB User

I am very familiar with the absolute misery it is to not be able to sleep for a long time. I had a cast on my foot for a long time, and my foot was uncomfortable because it would throb all the time and I had to keep it elevated. I don't like to take meds but I used a sleeping medication called Restoril and I used it sparingly when I was really desparate for sleep. It did help me get to sleep, but then the foot would wake me up because it would hurt in the middle of the night. You may want to ask your primary doctor if you could try a sleeping medication.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:07 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

happyfoot7 HB User

I can't remember the pain meds I used, but I sleep with about 6 pillows placed under my matress (not all on top of each other) which elevates my leg without me kickin them off in the middle of the night, I has helped make my sleeping more comfortable and reduces the swelling quicker.

Go back to the Doctor and ty other pain meds, if you aren't sleeping enough that may also inhibit the bone growth rate!

Old 08-16-2007, 12:40 PM   #5
(female)

cosmic1 HB User

I have worked as an RN on a rehab floor in the past.
DarvocetN worked very well on pain for patients.
It has Tylenol in it therefore it does not have any Advil type of chemicals.
It is a mild narcotic.
I found that Tylenol worked much better on my bone pain that Advil type products.
Really ask for the Darvocet.
My mother-in-law had a total shoulder replacement a year and one half ago.
She requested the Darvocet and felt that it gave her good relief.
My story is that I had two foot reconstructions and used the Percocet and Vicodin for the first two days and threw up.
The foot pain and then the throwing up made me want to do myself in.
It was more than I could handle.
Once I started the Darvocet, I had some nice relief.
I think it is a forgotten drug. I requested it for my foot reconstructions because of my history with it.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:51 PM   #6
(female)

NoFootNoHorse HB User

Last night was my first night following a bunionectomy and I managed to sleep comfortably (though only for 6hrs) by sleeping alone in our guest bed. I placed a large sofa cushion at the foot of the bed for the times that I'm lying on my back. Then, I placed a second large sofa cushion just to my side at about hip level, for when I sleep on my side.

I'm usually a side sleeper as this alleviates some back pain that I sometimes get. It's like a half-fetal position, with my lower leg extended and the leg with the bad foot bent up and on top of the cushion with the foot draping over side of cushion. While on my side, I extend the lower leg underneath the cushion at foot of bed.

Finally, I wore my surgical boot to sleep so that I didn't accidentally knock it. I hope that this has made sense. I didn't comment on med's because so far I haven't had much pain at all and haven't need any of my prescriptions.

Best wishes.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:50 AM   #7
(female)

moomin46 HB User

I too have had surgery ORF for a broken ankle. I think the meds that make you nauseous are the ones containing codeine. I had to stop taking them for the same reason. They gave me a different one called Diclofenac. To be honest mostly It is better without, I dont find they do much anyway.

Are you still in a cast?

Old 08-20-2007, 04:10 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

penybobeny HB User

I have two words that will make sleep easier.... 'beanbag chair'. (let me guess... not what you were expecting)

Those huge round things filled with styrofoam dots and covered with the catroon character du-jour is an absolute God-send when it comes to getting some sleep in a bed after surgery or a bad foot injury.

Place it on the bed, give it a good punch to create a 'well' (the punching itself is therapy of sorts) and place your foot in the well... the beanbag will keep your foot from rolling as easily, will keep it elevated and best of all, because of the size of those nightmares of the design world, they support the knee as well, so no more aching knee or pressure from the edge of the cast on your leg.

They also help keep ice bags from completely slipping off the cast... (ice does help the pain and the cold can 'sink' through cast material)

I can't take any narcotic pain killers at all... and other OTC pain killers are a no-no because of other health concerns so ice is my best friend.

I hope that you soon get better nights of sleep soon.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:00 AM   #9
(male)

DaleZ HB User

Itís nice to know that a guy is not alone while going through these difficult times of surgeries and recovery even though sometimes it feels like it.
Thanks for the help.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:26 PM   #10
(female)

hootyhoo HB User

i'm having my ankle fused and either read on these boards or someone suggested a bean bag chair under your leg to keep it from rocking or the pillows falling off the bed. sounds like a good idea to me, and i plan on getting one before my surgery.

Closed Thread