It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2007, 03:21 PM   #1
(female)

Carol41 HB User
Smile subtalar fusion

I had an accident when I was 18, and sprained my right ankle badly. It has been progressively getting worse over the years. I am 66 now, and my ankle is swollen all the time and I have a lot of pain. I am scheduled for subtalar fusion on September 7th. I have heard a lot of negative feed back on the surgery. Has anyone my age had a good outcome? Is it worth being on crutches for 3 months? Do the screws they put in always have to be taken out eventually?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2007, 05:41 PM   #2
(female)

hootyhoo HB User
Re: subtalar fusion

i broke my ankle...from tibia fibula right to the ankle bone at age 19...i'm 56...so perhaps similar surgery? i also am wondering about recovery...i know i'm in bed for 8 weeks...surgery on the 29th of august....i'll keep you informed...i have NO swelling now..but have had pain for quite some time..maybe 10 years...the last three awful...they say bone rubbing against bone. pain meds do nothing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2007, 01:16 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

penybobeny HB User

Hi there...

Surgical screws are not always removed, it all depends on many factors... some people have to have them removed because they cause pain (the head of the screw is not always flush with the bone and can 'pinch' or rub surrounding tissue) while others have no problem and keep those screws exactly where they are. If the screws do have to be removed it is a small proceedure and will not effect the outcome of your fusion in the least.

Also, while you see alot of 'horror' stories in the threads about proceedures gone wrong, there are just as many if not more with wonderful outcomes... the difference... those with the bad outcomes (myself included) tend to be much more vocal about it and are online often, where those with a great outcome usually post a time or two after their recovery then move on with their lives.

Being in your 50's does not mean that you will have bad outcomes... chances are very strong that the two of you will be a couple of the ones with wonderful outcomes who will post a few times after it is all over then be out golfing and dancing and enjoying life too much to spend much time posting anymore.

For right now, just relax as best you can, take long bubble baths and pamper yourselves. Stock up the freezer with foods that are easy to prepare for when you are getting better and take the time that you will be 'out of action' to do the things that a busy life never let you do. Paint... sketch... knit... read those books that have been waiting for the time and you will find that the time will pass quickly.

Good luck and please let us know how things go.

Old 08-18-2007, 07:47 AM   #4
(female)

hootyhoo HB User

thank you so much!!!!! i will try to keep what you said in my mind rather than the fear i've been having! much appreciated!

Old 08-18-2007, 07:53 AM   #5
(female)

walkabout HB User

I am 46 and just had a fusion due to arthritis. I can tell you that I am not experiencing the pain I had prior to surgery.!

Old 08-18-2007, 09:08 AM   #6
(female)

hootyhoo HB User

that is encouraging. i'm doing it come he!! or high water, just concerned that pain could be worse afterwards. i don't have any swelling now...never have...just bone rubbing against bone.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:29 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

music47 HB User

Walkabout

I am happy for you that you aren't having the pain due to arthritis since your fusion. Take care.

Music47

Old 08-26-2007, 06:42 PM   #8
(female)

hootyhoo HB User

i haven't gotthe rating right...it's been very great. good

Old 08-30-2007, 08:01 AM   #9
(female)

Carol41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hootyhoo View Post
i broke my ankle...from tibia fibula right to the ankle bone at age 19...i'm 56...so perhaps similar surgery? i also am wondering about recovery...i know i'm in bed for 8 weeks...surgery on the 29th of august....i'll keep you informed...i have NO swelling now..but have had pain for quite some time..maybe 10 years...the last three awful...they say bone rubbing against bone. pain meds do nothing.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:06 AM   #10
(female)

Carol41 HB User

It sounds like we do have a similar problem. My surgery is coming up and I'm getting more nervous, as I read the messages on the board. I have arthritis in my thumbs and hope I will be able to get around on crutches all right. I got a lot of things to keep me busy, while off my feet. Thanks for answering.

Old 09-15-2007, 07:43 AM   #11
(female)

Carol41 HB User

It's been seven days since my subtalar fusion. The pain is not bad now, but I'm having a hard time hopping around on one foot with a walker. The soft cast is very heavy to hop around keeping it up. I go Monday for a new cast and I hope it weighs less.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:02 AM   #12
(female)

hootyhoo HB User

oh yes, carol...your cast will be quite a bit lighter than your brace from surgery!

my doc wants me staying in bed, or keeping my ankle above my heart and not trying to get around other than to the bathroom. let me know how you are doing with your new cast.

i could pick colors...so i got a yellow cast. my grandaughter will love it!

good luck. p

Old 09-15-2007, 05:04 PM   #13
(female)

sunny77 HB User

Carol,
The casts are made of fiberglass, so definitely are lighter weight. You might want to ask about a cast cover for bathing purposes when you're in. My clinic had one and my insurance ended up paying for it ($15)...was called an Aquashield and worked wonderfully. Also, another thing you might consider is getting a Roll-A-Bout or Turning Leg Caddy knee scooter. It has a pad for your knee and shin and you propel it with your good foot/leg. It makes life a lot easier than hopping on one leg or having to use crutches--less stress on the body. I used one for 3 months and it helped keep me more independent (ie, I could go to Target and carry a basket, haul my work laptop and binder around with a rolling backpack...). One hand is free, sometimes two. So, just a thought. Good luck to you as you move forward!
Krista

Old 09-15-2007, 07:36 PM   #14
(female)

Carol41 HB User

Sunny77,
Thanks for the good news. I was feeling a little depressed, thinking about dragging this heavy thing around. My back and stomach are sore already. I am getting a shower cover, after I get the new cast Monday. That scooter thing sounds like something I could use too. Thanks for the info.....

Old 09-15-2007, 07:38 PM   #15
(female)

Carol41 HB User

HOOTYHOO,
You can get the new cast in colors? I have 8 grandchildren that would like to sign that. I'm so glad to hear it will be lighter.....Thanks Carol41

Closed Thread