It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2007, 06:57 PM   #1
(female)

LoveCountry HB User
Plantar Fasciitis/Heel Spur - What does it take?

Hi Everyone, (I am new here )

I am here to vent, and I'm here to see who has had the surgery for this problem. Where they go into your heel with a tube, and cut the ligament. I think I am describing it the right way.

Anyway. Ive been suffering this heel spur for sometime now. Months, not days or weeks.

However, I'm only 2 weeks in, on doctors care for the problem.

I was given a Injection of some cortisone type thing, a week ago. It didnt help. He gave me 1/2 CC last week, I went in again today and got 1 CC. of the same stuff. Still in pain.

Is it normal, does it take awhile before the pain goes away?

Doctor told me, if I come back next week, in the same pain or not much better, we'll talk surgery. <DREAD DREAD DREAD>

Has anyone had the surgery? The one I described (he said it takes like 10 minutes to do) - What is recovery like?

Has anyone else not been helped by the first injection - but the 2nd one helped later?

I really don't want the surgery - I dislike being put to sleep.

Thanks for listening!

Old 08-18-2007, 04:41 AM   #2
(female)

relteach HB User
Re: Plantar Fasciitis/Heel Spur - What does it take?

I, too, had a heel spur and plantar faciitis about 5 years ago. I am a teacher and on my feet all day. I was given exercises and stretches to do and tried NSAIDS, but eventually had the cortisone injection. Luckily it worked amost immediately. I still had some slight pain for a couple of days in the AM, but by doing the stretches before getting out of bed, the problem was alleviated.
I know of other people, among my own teaching colleagues, who have had more than one injection in order to have relief.
I don't know anything about the surgery you describe, but I do remember my doc saying that surgery was the last resort and I wanted to avoid that at all costs.
About the anesthesia, I know that some docs will do foot surgery with an epidural or spinal block instead of general. You need to ask your doc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2007, 09:27 PM   #3
(female)

debincalif HB Userdebincalif HB User

I would try everything you can before resorting to surgery.

Has your doctor discussed physical therapy and orthotic inserts with you yet? You should definitely look into those options.

I had severe PF about 10 years ago, and never had to have cortisone shots or surgery. Just by doing some simple exercises and wearing insoles with a rigid arch support my symptoms went away 100%. I may not be an "average" case, but it is sure worth trying.

Also, I've heard that often times a heel spur will return even if you have it surgically removed. You need to treat the plantar facia to get rid of the pain.

Good luck,
Deb

Old 09-02-2007, 05:32 AM   #4
(female)

Ashley52 HB User

That is what finally worked for me, arch supports. I have a high arch and the podiatrist I was seeing made me "custom" orthotics that apparently were not correct to address the problem. I spent thousands of dollars on various treatments before I finally found what worked for me.

For anyone who has a high arch and plantar fasciitis, here is what my new wonderful doc told me to do.

1) Buy arch supports that are flush against your arch. You should not be able to get your finger in between the arch support and your arch. You can buy these arch supports for about $40 at REI. No expensive orthotics necessary. Mine are called Superfeet. I have another pair that you can warm in the oven to conform to your foot called Sole, I haven't done that yet but they're only about $45. Compare that to $300+ for custom orthotics.
The best shoe I have found for a high arch, Birkenstocks...yes, I know they're ugly but who cares if you are pain free!

2) Wear a night splint as tight as you can tolerate it. I continued this until I was pain free, then I stopped.

3) Stretching exercises. Stand on a step and let your heel drop down. Hold that position for about 10 minutes, or as long as you can. This gives those tendons a good long stretch, using your body weight. Most stretching exercises that podiatrists prescribe are not enough, not enough stretch and not held for enough time.

Now that I've saved you several thousand dollars in medical bills, send your donations to.....LOL.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:38 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

I've had this for about 2 months now. After not being able to step on my heel or doing so with severe pain each morning and then eventually not being able to walk only limp, I went to a podiatrist. I'm using superfeet arch supports, had to buy more supportive running shoes, doing exercises everyday, and gonig to Physical Therapy, plus injections and it's finally getting better. The pain isn't gone yet. I think that cutting the Plantar facitis would be my last resort. I've had people tell me that it does eventually mostly go away and you get relief. The first injection worked for me along with the others things mentioned. I went back for a second injection which was on the other foot/heel.

Ashley52,
Where did you get the splint from, was it a custom one?

Debincalif,
Does the bone spur disappear or just not cause pain after the PF is treated? I saw the spur on the xray and it was tiny, hard to believe it could cause such excruiating foot pain.

Last edited by taape; 09-03-2007 at 10:50 PM.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:27 AM   #6
(female)

cjsw1958 HB User

I, too, suffered with Plantar Fascitis. I finally bought a pair of Birkenstock Arizona sandals and wear them faithfully. The problem went away. I haven't suffered with it in a long long time.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:11 AM   #7
(female)

Ashley52 HB User

Any podiatrist can give/sell you a night splint. It is not a custom item.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:23 AM   #8
(male)

iwasdaking HB User

Guys,i'm only 13 so i hope you guys can go easy on me..ok,here i go,
You see guys,i'm a badminton playing and this injury is really getting into my schedule*not that i like training* but its really driving me mad.Its not very serious.It has not reached the stage where you scream at every step,but its just buggin me.its those kind of pinching pains..and i've tried rubs like muscle rubs..voltaren-emulgel..and numbing the foot with ice..and stuffs like that,i don't bother with custom shoes but i have a rubber like arch raiser..its in the shapre of a foot and at the place where the arch is,is a rubber piece that comes in 3 types of hardness..but it does not seem to help much..and,$%^%THIS IS MY MAIN QUESTION&^%@#%^heres the thing i fear..so muscle rub right? i don't feel pain,but what i am affraid of is that i don't feel no pain,but i am actually still hurting the foot..like anestasia,you don't feel nothing,but your covered in blood..so am i right to think that way? or will the muscle rub really give it a chance to heal?

Old 09-04-2007, 04:35 PM   #9
(female)

relteach HB User

I wish I could give you an direct answer to your question, but all the previous posts have described most of the treatments that work for heel pain. If you are still in pain, or not in pain and you are afraid you will damage your foot, you need to let your parents know and ask them to take you to a doctor that specializes in foot and ankle problems--a podiatrist or podiatric surgeon. Do that as soon as possible to not cause any more problems. I have a daughter your age and if she were concerned or in pain I would want to know and get her treatment as soon as possible. Good luck!

Old 09-04-2007, 07:19 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Iwasdaking,
You probably should tell your parents so they can have you see a podiatrist. You don't want to wait until you can't put any weight on your feet without severe pain like I did. I literally could not walk. My pain started as pulling pain on the underneath part of my foot felt like it was being over stretched and then pulled back like how a rubber band works. I didn't know what was wrong and ignored it until I couldn't walk.

My doctor said that the fascia was over used so I got superfeet supports which helps ease the stretch on the liagament. Plus I have heel risers inside my shoes which even makes the stretch less. I had to cut back my walking/standing on my feet way back for about 3 weeks. I can't even imagine that I could have played a sports especially if it involved jumping or running. I think most people responding don't need custom shoes but just ones that provide support. Icing is a good idea as well as muscle rubs. So, you don't want to miss the whole playing season so let your parents know about the foot problem.

Last edited by taape; 09-04-2007 at 07:21 PM.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:23 PM   #11
(male)

iwasdaking HB User

i already saw the doct..it was either jabs*i hate jabs* or some ultra sound thing..its really not serious,but any tips on what i can do to stop the strain?

Old 09-04-2007, 10:33 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

What are Jabs? I missed the part about you seeing the doctor. I get ultrasound at Physical Therapy. It's a machine that produces sound waves (I think) that get deep into the muscles/soft tissues and helps to ease the pain. I get it twice per week.

Use orthotics in your shoes, stretch the bottom of your foot, use ice for pain, get recommended shoes--altogether these should help.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:21 PM   #13
(female)

nosila72 HB User

Ashley52!!! Help me! I am very envious of you as our situations seem similar. I am having my 4th year anniversary of pain, and despite most of the conservative remedies you mention (which I have used), I am still struggling, in fact today it is worse than it ever was. I have had two shots and won;t get anymore---deterioration and limited effectiveness. I have an appointment with a sports orthopedist next week as I am no longer confident of the two podiatrists I have seen over the years; their next step would be a hard cast for 4 weeks, then surgery. You are my hero that the next doctor may be the right one. NIght splint and Birks have been the most effective treatment so far, but I am not cured and am limping. I live in Wash DC.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:44 PM   #14
(female)

Ashley52 HB User

What kind of physical activities do you do? Are you doing the prolonged stretching like my orthopedist recommended. I will be interested to hear what your orthopedist has to say. Will he do an MRI?
One of the things I did was to stop all physical activity for awhile except for the dr. exercises. I did not jog, hike, walk, weight train or do any of my previous activities. You may have to lay off completely for a little while and give your body a chance to heal. I had chronic pain for 3 years and now I am pain free so there is hope.

Old 09-11-2007, 05:25 AM   #15
(male)

iwasdaking HB User

K,this is reaaallly not working for me,I am captain of my schools team and i am losing out to the others already,and that sucks,thoroughly.But other den jabs,are there any other cures?VERY fast cures,i am really desporate about getting my foot healed,and i fear getting demoted to vice or even the average player.Please! Help me!! I need a quick solution to my injury and please no jabs!

Closed Thread