It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2007, 07:54 PM   #1
(female)

sonaria17 HB User
4 torn ligaments....advice?

I injured my ankle after stepping down onto a cushion of the couch. I went to the ER and nothing was revealed on the XRAY. I then went to an Chiropractor (my stepmom) and was told to have an MRI. The MRI revealed 1 complete tear of the ATFL (ligament)and 4 partial tears of some of the other ligaments. I also had some tendon splitting. She referred me to an Ortho who said that I had a typical everyday sprain and to go to therapy for a month. I have now completed my therapy. I am still having pain, unstable ankle, I cant wear shoes that match because my brace doesnt fit into the shoes. I cant climb stairs, i cant squat. I did try to go braceless one day and that was a HUGE mistake. It felt as if it was hitting bone on bone. When i got home the ankle was swollen and it felt as if the foot was just hanging there. I have my follow up appt with the Ortho on Tuesday. I dont know if what i am feelin is normal for a sprain. I dont think that this is just a typical sprain considering all the things that i tore. Has anyone had something similair to this? And how was it fixed? Honestly i am wanting the surgery to just get the ankle repaired so i dont have to worry about when i am going to sprain it next. I know that it will take lots of rehab after the surgery. I just know that at least it will be fixed. Anyone have any advice? Thank you!

Old 08-18-2007, 12:39 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

penybobeny HB User
Re: 4 torn ligaments....advice?

Hello there, Sonaria,

I would strongly reccoment RICE (rest, ice, compression and elevation) as much as possible until you see your Dr. I would go so far as to even reccomend non-weight bearing, but that is only my opinion.

I know that you are feeling frustrated and want the pain to end, but surgery is not always the best first step... sometimes it can make things worse instead of better, but this does not mean that surgery might not be the best path for you to get the best result.

When you see your Orth on Tuesday explain your doubts and fears. Be polite but be firm that it does not seem to be getting better and you do not want this to go on if there is something that needs to be done.

Many times muscular, tendon and ligament damage can be 100 times worse than bone damage, and can take alot longer to heal.

If you are not happy after tuesday with how your Ortho is handling this then I would reccomend seeking a second opinion with another Ortho, maybe one specializing in Sports Medicine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2007, 10:08 AM   #3
(female)

sonaria17 HB User

I did do 2 months worth of PT, with no help....

Old 08-21-2007, 02:01 PM   #4
(male)

hells hamster HB User

Hi Sonaria,

I had the very same problem you are discribing. My right ankle got so bad that I could not go a single day without twisting or spraining it.

So after fighting with it for a year, I finaly went to the doc. He told me that surgery was the only thing that could fix the problem. The surgery is called Lateral Ankle Stabilitation. I really, really did not want to do it, but I felt that I had no choice and ended up on the operating table.

Let me be quite honest with you. It was SOOOOO HARD!!!! You have to wear a boot for 8 weeks and I swear it weighed 200lbs. I have never used crutches in my entire life and man did it show. I must have fell down the stairs like 6 or 7 times...it was a very hard recovery. BUT, everyone is different. My surgery was almost a year ago today. (Aug 25, 2006) And now it is better. It is sore from time to time and the doc told me I would have arthritis in the ankle until I die...but it is a lot stronger now. I even twisted it the other day and it HELD. Scared me to death, but it held.

Hope this helps. It was ruff but worth it. Good luck with your decision.
The Hamster

Old 08-21-2007, 02:25 PM   #5
(female)

sonaria17 HB User

Just got back from the OS and he placed me in a hard cast for 3 weeks. I can weight bear in it which is good. After 3 weeks we will re evaluate.

He did take more xrays and saw that there wasnt a fracture.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:21 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

missyou009 HB User

Good luck with being in the hard cast!I hope that it helps Being in a cast really sucks,but if it really makes a difference,it'll definitely be worth it.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:13 AM   #7
(female)

sonaria17 HB User

The OS has now put me in a hard cast for 3 weeks, WB. The doc said that the cast would loosen up over night, and it has, what i am wondering is how loose should it be? i wonder if it has gotten too loose. I know i cant roll the ankle....but i can move it side to side and up and down....

Closed Thread