It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2007, 09:12 PM   #1
(female)

takealook HB User
6 broken foot bones

I broke my foot in April. 4 bones right above my toes and 1 bone right below my ankle and 1 bone on the front side of foot. ( I fell ) I couldn't wear a cast so I wore a "boot". I followed Dr. orders trying to stay away from any surgery--scared. Here it is August and I can only wear my reebocks. I teach and was off 3 months and have been back 3 weeks. my foot swells by the end of the day and I am so scared that my foot will never get better. I have always been healthy and right now I walk with a limp. What would damaged ligaments feel like. thanks guys for any infor.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:50 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

penybobeny HB User
Re: 6 broken foot bones

Damaged ligaments usually feel like a sprain that never goes away... they can be burning, throbbing or aching depending on which ones, if nerves are involved and the severity.

I would reccomend asking the Dr for a MRI of your foot to check for anything that is not right... it could be ligament or tendon damage, tendonitis, bursitis or even a non-union that is not showing up on x-ray.

Until you are able to see your Dr to ask for one I would reccomend RICE (rest, ice, compression and elevation) as much as possible throughout the day as well as some OTC anti-inflamitory such as tylenol. (remember when using an anti-inflamitory to follow reccomended dosing instructions... your liver has to metabolize these medications and taking more than the reccomended ammount can cause trouble)

Good luck and please let us know how things are going for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2007, 04:31 AM   #3
(female)

relteach HB User

I broke one bone in my foot in March and have "just" gotten out of my boot. My foot is still a bit swollen no matter what I do and by the end of the day, it looks like it did when I was in a cast. I, too, am a teacher, and am used to being on my feet all day(I taught after my fall in a wheelchair) I am now also wearing athletic shoes and will be doing so for about 4 more months. I'm not sure what info your doc gave you, but metatarsal fractures can take longer to heal than other bones in one's body due to limited circulation. It has taken me 25 weeks to get to be wearing shoes and I had just one bone broken. I could not imagine what it is to have broken more than one!!! Be patient and follow the advice in the previous post about RICE. It really does work!!! I walk with a limp and you may do so for awhile. My doc has told me not to expect to be back to how I was in Feb, before my fracture until this coming Feb. Have a real conversation about what you are feeling and what your doc views as your prognosis. If he/she won't have that conversation, and you are still uncomfortable with where you are mobility-wise, find another doc.
Best of luck

Old 08-20-2007, 07:38 PM   #4
(female)

oliver65 HB User

This is a good site for you....take word from Penybobeny and relteach they both have very good advise to pass on. I am just ending my first month in an aircast for a fracture. Sounds like you have a long road ahead of you. Pay attention to the rules of recovery...I am just learning how to do so. You learn to fall in love with ice!!!
Oliver65

Closed Thread