It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2007, 09:45 AM   #1
(female)

NoFootNoHorse HB User
26hrs post-op Austin Bunionectomy and no pain???

Okay, I know that I could have worse problems, so I am not complaining, but I'm really surprised that I am not in pain. I started regaining some sensation in my toes last night after the nerve block given in yesterday morning's surgery. I can wiggle my toes pretty easily. But, I'm shocked that it's a day later and I do not need the percoset. I've been able to use the surgical shoe to walk freely to the toilet without crutches, took a bath this morning with the foot resting on the side of the tub, and have been otherwise off of my feet with rest, ice and elevation. I was told to ice the foot for 20 min. every hour that I'm awake - I've been icing closer to 20 - 30 min/hour. I did just notice that there is some drainage coming through the heavy bandages, but it doesn't look horrible to me.

Thoughts? Should I consider myself lucky or can I expect to get clobbered by pain later today or tomorrow? I know, I know, everyone is different, but I must say that I'm feeling surprised by how well things have gone.

I go back on Tuesday to have the dressings changed. Then I'll have the other foot done on the 31st.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2007, 09:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
Re: 26hrs post-op Austin Bunionectomy and no pain???

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFootNoHorse View Post
Okay, I know that I could have worse problems, so I am not complaining, but I'm really surprised that I am not in pain. I started regaining some sensation in my toes last night after the nerve block given in yesterday morning's surgery. I can wiggle my toes pretty easily. But, I'm shocked that it's a day later and I do not need the percoset. I've been able to use the surgical shoe to walk freely to the toilet without crutches, took a bath this morning with the foot resting on the side of the tub, and have been otherwise off of my feet with rest, ice and elevation. I was told to ice the foot for 20 min. every hour that I'm awake - I've been icing closer to 20 - 30 min/hour. I did just notice that there is some drainage coming through the heavy bandages, but it doesn't look horrible to me.

Thoughts? Should I consider myself lucky or can I expect to get clobbered by pain later today or tomorrow? I know, I know, everyone is different, but I must say that I'm feeling surprised by how well things have gone.

I go back on Tuesday to have the dressings changed. Then I'll have the other foot done on the 31st.
i think you are lucky!!!!! i never had real pain after buninectomy. keep up the good work

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2007, 09:20 PM   #3
(female)

MsTammy HB User

I agree with debbie- Count your blessings! I had very little pain, as well. I don't know if I was really on the ball with the vicodin or if I was just really fortunate but it wasn't bad for me at all. I had some discomfort the first 2-3 nights but it wasn't pain really. I also has a bit of bleeding on the bandages. I noticed the morning after and was very freaked out but we called the surgical center and they said it was normal. When I went to my 2 day post-op, she said the blood was a little more than normal but she was not concerned at all. Although, I had my foot elevated on a bean bag chair and stupidly in my sleep in middle of the night I tried moving it so it didn't fall off the bed but I pushed it with the inside of the foot I'd just had surgery on! OH THE PAIN! That is what contributed to the extra bleeding. Still, even with that, the doctor was not at all concerned.

Anyhoo, just keep following the doctor's orders and hopefully your recovery will continue to go smoothly!

Old 08-19-2007, 01:59 PM   #4
(female)

NoFootNoHorse HB User

[knocking on wood] ... well here I am, 54 hrs post-op and I have not needed my prescription pain killers at all. Occasionally, I do have some mild discomfort, but that's about it. Ice and elevation seem to nip that in the bud quickly though. I did take a couple of Tylenol (acetaminophen) this morning, but I probably didn't need them. I've got lots to do to keep me busy (books, movies, art, etc.) as I lounge around with my feet up, but I must admit that I'm going stir-crazy already.

On a normal weekend, I would have run at least a few miles each day, ridden my horse, and done lots of gardening and cooking. So, sitting on my rear-end all day long feels like a lot of work. Yikes. I have gotten up both days and taken a bath and wandered about the house a little bit, but mostly I'm being a very good patient.

My other foot has the more severe bunion, so I can only hope that the next surgery goes as well as the first. My doctor phoned me this morning and I let him know that he did a great job. I'm amazed that I'm not in pain considering how invasive the surgery is. I wish this experience upon everyone else undergoing bunionectomies. {:~)

Old 08-19-2007, 04:22 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

you are so nice! the toughest thing is to stop activities. your next surgery should go just as well. what kind of dr did you use?

Old 08-19-2007, 05:24 PM   #6
(female)

NoFootNoHorse HB User

lol - He's a podiatrist specializing in foot surgery and sports med'. His practice gets very high marks in the DC area; I found him by researching the top doc's in the area.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:30 PM   #7
(female)

Precious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB User
Thumbs up Re: 26hrs post-op Austin Bunionectomy and no pain???

I'm 4 days post-op from the Bunionectomy and removal of Mortons Neuroma. I have had very little pain as well. My Dr. said keeping the foot elevated and iced will do better than pain pills, although he did give me some. I have what's called a "RollAbout" to get around on. He said no crutches because he doesn't want the foot on the floor at all. It's kind of like a scooter and takes the place of the surgical foot to get to the bathroom etc...
He took a biopsy of the Mortons Neuroma and I'll know the results this coming Thursday. He has stressed big time that icing the foot and elevation are the key factors in a good recovery.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:58 PM   #8
(female)

beautyofspeed HB User

For me, it was 36+ hours before the anesthetic wore off. My doctor said I was the poster child for the longest anesthetic block ever!

When the anesthetic wore off, I did not feel pain as I had been taking the Tramacet every four hours as soon as I got home, even though I did not feel any pain. So basically yeah. No pain.

And I slept great and A LOT. I know it sounds weird, but the first few days for me were great! My mom took care of me, I slept lots, the Tramacet took away my allergies.....I was sad when the first few postop days were over lol.

Old 08-31-2007, 06:34 PM   #9
(female)

NoFootNoHorse HB User

Update:

I had my second bunionectomy this morning and am doing well. My doctor ended up only cutting one bone, but put in two screws. He also said that the bone was rather cystic, with a lot of fluid on it. I still haven't needed pain killers, and this time I'm free to walk without crutches, though I must stay off of it as much as possible the first few days.

He removed the internal stitches from the other foot then re-wrapped it lightly. I'll be able to remove the bandages in a couple days from the first surgery.

Have I mentioned how much I love my surgeon? And anaesthesiologists???

Old 08-31-2007, 08:27 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

you are so lucky and good for you! its so nice to hear a great outcome especially on 2 feet!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-31-2007, 11:02 PM   #11
(female)

Precious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB User

I Totally Agree With Debbie!

Old 09-01-2007, 04:08 PM   #12
(female)

NoFootNoHorse HB User

Okay, my foot started throbbing about an hour ago. I can live with it, but decided that I might as well pop a Tylenol 3 instead, just to see what happens. Otherwise, I'm doing well overall.

Closed Thread