It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2007, 06:38 AM   #1
(female)

piggygirl HB User
Big toe position after bunionectomy

12/15/06 I had an Austin bunionectomy with Akin osteomy on the left foot for a sever bunion condition.

5/18/07 I had a hemi joint implant on the left big toe due to damaged cartlidge and arthritis doing damage to the joint. The dr did quite a bit of ligament/tendon reconstruction.

The left big toe after the implant was very wobbly(something similiar to a bobble head), but has tightened up some since.

I am now wearing a EE tennis shoe width because there is still some swelling.
I tried to find a shoe with as 'wide a toe box' as possible.
I also purchased some sandals with adjustable Velcro straps, again to adjust for the swelling.

I find that if I wear the tennis shoes for a whole day during normal activities, at the end of the day, the top portion of the big toe is 'starting to slant towards the toe next to it'
Remember, these tennis shoes have a wide toe box.

If I wear the sandals with the adjustable Velcro straps for the entire day, the top portion 'does not slant towards the toe next to it'.

Is there going to be a point in time, when the big toe will become more stable, and not slant towards the toe next to it??

Is anyone having this same experience??

Old 08-19-2007, 05:42 PM   #2
(male)

socad HB User
Re: Big toe position after bunionectomy

I am 10 days post op from my 2nd austin bunionectomy. My foot is still wrapped but it looks like this toe is point more towards my other toes than the left one.

I had the left one done 2 years ago. The doctor said the natural alignment is not truly straight. The toe should go slightly in towards the other toes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2007, 05:13 PM   #3
(female)

sweetpea.73 HB User
Re: Big toe position after bunionectomy

I too am having problems with my big toe leaning more towards my other toes since the surgery. I had surgery in March and I still have a lot of swelling, I've been to a lymphadema doctor that showed me how to wrap the toes, foot and leg and also sent me home with a compression boot to wear for 1 hour a night to help bring down the swelling. So, far only a little bit of the swelling has gone down with wrapping and using the boot. I put a call into the doctor today because of how the foot is looking now which she did not return.

I'm not sure how yours looks but mine of course don't have the big bump but the bone that the bumb was on is actually sticking out further now and my big toe is leaning further towards my other toes. Doesn't make sense to me. How I really noticed was I was at the shoe store with my daughters and decided to see how my foot sized since the operation and with the width (that part of the foot the bunion was on) was so far off the shoeplate for sizing. Now I was told the surgery with repositioning the toe would correct this, well it doesn't look like it did. I hope yours turns out better than what mine has. Try to speak to your doctor about it. If anyone has feedback or advise, please do.

Closed Thread