It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2007, 08:35 AM   #1
(female)

monster bunion HB User
Rollabout vs. walker, crutches

Hi All,
I am thinking ahead for my next bunionectomy. When I had my first bunionectomy, I used a combination of crutches, a wheelchair, and a walker.
When I used the walker, I got callouses on my hands, and if you don't place the walker feet just right on the ground, you can get off balance quickly. I couldn't carry anything in my hands while using crutches or the walker. With the wheelchair, I couldn't stand very well to cook anything, and it was hard to maneuver in the kitchen. I've heard people talking about the "Rollabout" knee walker and was wondering if I should get one. Any comments would be much appreciated.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:28 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

dancergal19 HB User
Re: Rollabout vs. walker, crutches

I've never tried a rollabout but I saw a woman using one in an airport recently and she was CRUISING through the airport. I think you can use them hands free and you can stand upright while resting your leg to do things like cooking. Seems like a better option than crutches, wheelchair or a walker.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2007, 09:41 AM   #3
(female)

sunny77 HB User

I used a Turning Leg Caddy scooter for about 3 months and it was a lifesaver! You have one hand free when you're moving or both hands free if you're just standing. I also used it as a way to prop my foot up when I was out and there wasn't anything else available. Dancergal19 is right about cruising...I could (it was fun at times!) and got a TON of questions and looks about it...I told the company I rented it from that they should have been paying me to use it, not the other way around! They got lots of free advertising! If I had to do it again, I would totally get this. Crutches were a pain in the butt and I used them only if I was in a place with stairs (no elevator) and when I became PWB. My insurance did pay for part of the rental fee each month, so you might want to check that possibility out. I would have paid the full fee regardless though.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:40 AM   #4
(female)

Abikat HB User

I also used the Turning Leg Caddy and am so glad that I found out about it before having surgery. I liked how it was designed compared to the Rollabout or RollerAid. I have a pretty open floor plan in my home, so I could scoot all over. It was also very convenient putting in/getting out of the car and I used it a lot going to restaurants, etc. I hardly even touched my crutches or walker the first three months - this was so much easier on my good leg, arms, as well as my heart (which I need to baby a little). Once I was in my Cam Walker, I didn't use it nearly as much, but still it was handy for an occasional trip to the mall or grocery store. My insurance covered it fully as I rented it from an insurance participating provider.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:44 PM   #5
(male)

rosinberfoot HB User

I've had flat foot reconstruction surgery and have been using my rollabout pretty much exclusively for the past 6 weeks. I can't imagine getting by with just the crutches... the rollabout has allowed me to move about the ground floor of my house much faster and easier. I definitely recommend getting one.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:00 AM   #6
(male)

rouletteyou HB User

I have been off my left foot/leg/heel due to a shattered calcaneus for 14 weeks. 4 weeks I used crutches and they sucked. I have had a Drive Knee Walker for 10 weeks and it has been great. Not easy - but great. This model does not turn without using your finger to pick it up and move it little by little. If you are going straight it is faster than walking though. It costs $135 month to RENT from a place called knee walker rental typed altogether with a .c o m on it. I have seen them for sale as low as $335 and you own it. It weighs 15 lbs I have seen a turning model called Rolleraid for rent at $175 month. There is also a much higher priced model called a Roll a Bout. To me the cheapest model has worked fine but in retrospect I should have bought it but I did not know I would need it for so long.
A big plus with this is you work out your butt and thigh muscles with it and when you start walking again all you will need to build back up is your calf and foot muscles.
A small but necessary minus is stress on your knee while walking on it which is probably less if you are smaller. I happen to be 225lb so maybe better if smaller. The walker has a 250lb limit on it but different like inventions take up to 350lb.
Hope this helps.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:20 PM   #7
(female)

dtjag1 HB User

I am 5th week NWB after PTTD surgery. I have fallen 3 times with the walker and use a roll-a-bout exclusivelly now. My doctor loves them but I noticed the PT people at the hospital advising against them to other patients. I really can't imagine why.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:57 AM   #8
(female)

Precious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Rollabout vs. walker, crutches

I agree about the Rollabout. I have been using mine for a week now. I like the "hands free". Crutches are awkward and I only use them for one place in my home. I rent mine for $35 plus deposit, and if I go over one month they will use the deposit to cover. I had a radical bunionectomy and Mortons Neuroma removed. Rollabout helps also when I'm using my computer as I can put my foot up.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:25 AM   #9
(female)

iggysue HB User
Question Re: Rollabout vs. walker, crutches

Hi - I am 4 days post surgery for a lapidus bunionectomy. I got my Rolleraide 2 days ago, and so far it is a lifesaver around the house? However, the rep who delivered it pretty much discouraged me from taking it out of the house. He said, "It will be awkawrd for you to get in the car, you shouldn't be on anything but level surfaces - no ramps" etc. etc. What is your experience with this? Do you use it to be mobile outside the house as well? I do have 2 stps down to my garage/car, so I have that logistic to figure out (I live alone, so no help), but other than that, I am wondering if I should try to get out with it, or resort to the crutches?

Old 12-17-2007, 02:16 PM   #10
(female)

elk lake HB User

Am almost 6 weeks post-op triple arthrodesis. I have a knee support scooter (not RollerAid) and a walker. I prefer the scooter; but it has a wide turning radius and I'm in tight quarters in a condo. I do use the walker a bit too. My scooter is rented for $100. a month. Well worth it. Haven't been outside at all yet though; as I live in an upstairs condo and am NWB.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:26 PM   #11
(female)

kat6745 HB User

Hi, I just had my surgery this morning (chevron/Austin bunionectomy & laproscopic plantar fasciotomy) and borrowed a RollerAid from my podiatrist's office and can honestly say it has saved me. I use the crutches to get up from the chair or toilet & to get in place on the RollerAid, but then there's no stopping me. So far, I've just gone to the bathroom & back to the recliner, but anticipate more activity in the coming days.

I agree - crutches suck. I have an old pair of wooden ones from when I sprained my ankle in 7th grade & just put new rubber stoppers, pads, etc. on them, but they still stink. I just don't have the upper body strenth I used to have.

I think you should go for the RollerAid, especially since it's a little more "user-friendly" and is easier to turn with.

Take care,
Kathy

Old 12-17-2007, 06:56 PM   #12
(female)

tessnyc HB User

I am 4 months post lapidus fusion. I LOVED the Rollabout and could not have lived without it. It is the only reason I was able to go back to work. I was very bad at crutches, and lost my balance numerous times. As long as you have a flat surface or a ramp, it is awesome. Only problems were curbs and steps. Then again, I coudn't do those with crutches either. I rented it for $30 per week. Was well worth it. Am awaiting insurance reimbursement info.

Last edited by tessnyc; 12-17-2007 at 06:56 PM.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:41 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

hey19 HB User

[QUOTE=tessnyc;3354089]I am 4 months post lapidus fusion. I LOVED the Rollabout and could not have lived without it. It is the only reason I was able to go back to work. I was very bad at crutches, and lost my balance numerous times. As long as you have a flat surface or a ramp, it is awesome. Only problems were curbs and steps. Then again, I coudn't do those with crutches either. I rented it for $30 per week. Was well worth it. Am awaiting insurance reimbursement info.[/QUOTE]

Wow I just got mine.... Surgery is this Thursday. I pay $40 per month. It seems to me that it pulls to the left. Of course the place I got it from says that's normal.... but is it?

Old 12-22-2007, 08:50 AM   #14
(female)

iggysue HB User

Yes, I've been on mine for a little over a week now. Mine pulls to the left as well, but I just thought that was because I was pushing with my right foot. I still think it is a small price to pay though - it is miles better than crutches!

Old 12-22-2007, 08:23 PM   #15
(female)

tessnyc HB User

Yes, the rollabout does tend to go a little to the right or left, depending on various factors and you need to readadjust by lifting it lightly with your finger while putting weight on the good foot. You get used to it. Considering how much it enhanced my ability to get back into the world and feel safe and feel comfortable, it was not a big deal.

Closed Thread