It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2007, 10:12 AM   #1
(female)

skyhighifly HB User
Running out of Velcro...ideas?

I've been in a boot for 1 week now and on one of the velcro straps across my foot I am down to only about 1 inch catching. There is still swelling so the problem will only get worse. I am tall, thin, and have long and narrow feet. They don't make these boots to fit my body type. I have another 3 weeks in it so as I see it I have three options. Option 1 is to get creative with my sewing machine and shorten part of the strap. Option 2 is to find some kind of black foam the place under the strap to give it more to strap around. Option 3 is thicker socks which I tried. I would need to wear about 4 pairs for it to work and its summer. Other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! The 1 inch doesn't really hold. It keeps slipping and I need that strap to keep my heel down.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:23 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Running out of Velcro...ideas?

You can buy velcro at the store in packages of short strips that are self adhesive. Just use that to extend the strap onto the boot part. I have a small narrow foot and was down to the last inch or so with my srugeries and broken foot.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2007, 11:34 AM   #3
(female)

monkynbear HB User

I had that problem with my boot also. I went to Walmart and got some thick, self adhedsive velcro and just attached it to the side of the boot so I could attach it to the side.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:03 PM   #4
(female)

skyhighifly HB User

Only one problem with your ideas. My mom cut the velcro shorter because it was bothering her even though I said not to. She just took the scissor to it when I was sleeping. So now it won't reach but a half inch onto the plastic boot portion. I was all for the sticky back velcro stuff, just waiting for someone to bring me to the store to get it. I'm not very happy with my mom right now. She won't listen to me at all or let me do anything for myself even though I am more than capable.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:06 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

tell your mom how you feel. also, is there a smaller boot you can get from the dr?

Old 08-20-2007, 02:55 PM   #6
(female)

debincalif HB Userdebincalif HB User

You can always tell your doctor that you need a new boot! I was in a boot for so long... I went through THREE of them during my boot time.

As to the narrow foot - yep, I had that problem as well. My boot came with foam pads you could wedge in where you needed them. I used them to take up some extra room under the straps.

I think you said you have a sewing machine... what you could also do is go buy some velcro and sew the "loop" part on the strap behind where the velcro runs out. You'll have to sew it very securely. But that will give you more room to tighten it down.

Good luck!
Deb

Old 08-21-2007, 06:45 PM   #7
(female)

skyhighifly HB User

I took a good close look at it today. I think I might be able to cut and then overlap the soft velcro part and then sew it multiple times like a zig zag both directions to make a square. For now, it is holding so I am not going to mess with it. When it get slippage, then I'll get sewing. Should only be in the boot for another 3 weeks or so for a total of 4.5 weeks. This one still looks brand new, no way they would give me a new one and the smaller size is too short (5'11", size 11 shoe, and a skinny atrophy leg).

My mom wasn't too happy with me when I told her she needed to let me make the decisions. I'm 26! I am staying with my parents because I can't drive, but in her quest to be sure nothing goes wrong, she is treating me like I'm young. I'll probably be leaving in 4-6 days so that will be a shock to her. I live 500 miles away.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:00 PM   #8
(female)

monkynbear HB User

My mom wasn't too happy with me when I told her she needed to let me make the decisions. I'm 26! I am staying with my parents because I can't drive, but in her quest to be sure nothing goes wrong, she is treating me like I'm young. I'll probably be leaving in 4-6 days so that will be a shock to her. I live 500 miles away.[/QUOTE]

You live 500 miles away? You going that far? You better watch for swelling and such. Not to good to travel like that too soon and then be on your own. And just speaking up for your mom, she's only being a mom, lol. I had moms and grandma's in here left and right helping me and it was driving me insane at times. They didn't want me up, don't do this, it finally got to a point where I said move over I need some space!

Good luck to you!

Old 08-22-2007, 11:04 PM   #9
(female)

skyhighifly HB User

I'm 3 weeks Post-op tomorrow and have been walking the house without crutches the last 3 days. Greater adventures I bring the crutches to allow me more speed and balance since I tend to hold my arms out when walking without them. Today I drove my dad's car. He convinced my mom I would be fine. It's a F350 Diesel. Huge car but I drove it with my boot foot. 500 miles really isn't that far. Only an hour and 15 minutes by plane which is how I will be traveling back. As far as swelling, despite being on my feet more the swelling is continuing the go down daily. I ice about 3 times a day and have no pain. I know when I need to sit down and rest for a while. I will not push myself to do something that I am not comfortable with.

Mom noticed the short strap today and offered to sew it for me. 2 days ago she was completely against it. Love her to death, but sometimes she doesn't think very logically.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:20 AM   #10
(female)

monkynbear HB User

I'm glad your pain is very low. And that you are behaving lol. Just remember the air pressure changes on the plane may make things a bit worse. Good luck to you!

Old 08-24-2007, 10:35 AM   #11
(female)

skyhighifly HB User

This will be my 4th plane ride since I had the surgery. The first being 3 days after. When the plane pressurizes it dis cause some discomfort. For the first flight I purchased 2 seats plus had my mom so I could keep my foot up. I would highly recommend that to anyone flying so soon. And, yes, I did had the doctors permission to fly so long as I purchased that extra seat. He even made me show him proof that I had done it before surgery. The worst part is getting the "pat down" every time I go through security. Sucks!

Old 08-24-2007, 12:26 PM   #12
(female)

monkynbear HB User

[QUOTE=skyhighifly;3173403]This will be my 4th plane ride since I had the surgery. The first being 3 days after.

Good grief.. stay home a bit won't ya?

Old 08-25-2007, 10:23 AM   #13
(female)

skyhighifly HB User

I do a lot of flying anyway. This really isn't abnormal at all. It's kind of a routine thing for me. I don't think much of it when I get on a plane anymore. No excitement at all.

Take care and have a good weekend. I think I'm headed to Santa Cruz with my mom. We want to visit the O'Neill Surfshop. I really want to go lay on the beach but would never get all the sand out of the boot. GROSS! I'll have to settle for the Boardwalk.

Closed Thread