It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2007, 08:32 PM   #1
(male)

hells hamster HB User
What works for Plantar Fasciitis??

Hi all, I am new here so sorry for the obvious repeat questions.....

I started getting the P.F. weeks after I had Lateral Ankle Stabilization surgery on August 25th last year. Let me tell you what I'm sure you know.....it HURTS like nobodies business. I have seen two doctors who both told me to do stretches and get orthotics. Well, I got the orthotics and stretched myself blue in the face! I ice down three or four times daily, I took a truckload of Ibuprofen and I still just want to have the foot removed.

So, sorry to ask, what have you all done that has helped?? I forgot to mention the docs wanted to do injections. Everything I read scares me about them. I hear it only works for a few weeks and then your back in painville. I also read that it can disolve away the natural pad of the foot and just cause more problems than what you had before....what do I do??

I have also looked up a new surgery they are doing. You do not get cut, its a kind of ultrasound or something. Electrowave pulse?? Has anyone here had this done. Sorry I cannot remember what it was called....it was like EMTS or something similar.

Thanks for your time and any responses you give me cause I will very much appreciate them. Laters, The Hamster

Last edited by hells hamster; 08-20-2007 at 08:45 PM.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:39 PM   #2
(female)

jacksinn HB User
Re: What works for Plantar Fasciitis??

Your doing everything you can. That treatment is new it think and I don't know much about it. I had P.F in right foot and had surgery now its in the left foot. I have had it in the left foot since February. Sick of the podiatrist telling me it will go away. I'm giving it another 3-4 weeks and am going to insist on surgery. The surgery is so simple and effective.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2007, 01:26 PM   #3
(male)

hells hamster HB User

How long were you out of work after the surgery? I was down for 8 weeks after my ankle operation.

Thanks for the reply. Good luck with the docs and the next surgery if you do it.

Old 10-01-2007, 04:24 PM   #4
(female)

jacksinn HB User

I was out of work for 6 weeks. My job is hell on your legs and feet. If I sat behind a desk I probably would have been back in 2 weeks.
I had a cortisone and shot and now have had no pain for a few eeks. I cant believe it I was so sure I was going to end up with surgery again.

Last edited by moderator2; 10-01-2007 at 04:26 PM. Reason: do not post your profession on this website - as per the posting policy - please read the posting rules

Old 10-01-2007, 05:28 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

maggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB User

PF is not fun. I have had it for about 16 months and have it in both feet. I have just had a series of cortisone injections, I have had three total each two weeks apart, today was the last one and I have to say that today's did not hurt as much and I think (my fingers are crossed) that they have helped. I also do not go barefoot at all (ever). Always in some type of shoe or sandal. Have you tried a night splint? If not, check one out, as I think tha has helped me as well. I am not 100% but I am better off then I was about six weeks ago. If you exercise, find something that is not hard on your feet, like th recumbent bike or swimming, these were not my first two choices, but find that they don't mess with my feed like the treadmill does. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do. The ESWT is supposed to be more as a step before surgery, but not a lot of insurance companies will pay for it.
Nancy

Old 11-05-2007, 08:03 AM   #6
(female)

KyliaG HB User

Hi,
Have you tried a night splint? I would recommend a comfortable one, like N'ice Stretch. It looks like you're doing everything else you can. Good luck!

Old 11-05-2007, 11:43 AM   #7
(female)

Socrriss18 HB User
EC SHOCKWAVE and TOPAZ

~Sorry for the length~
Hello everyone, Im a 21 yr old girl, and have always had flat feet. When I was 19 I tore my arch in the middle of my college soccer game. It hurt like hell and turned black, but I couldnt miss the season. After the season they put me in a boot for 5 or 6 weeks which helped for a while, until I started training hard again. Things progressively got worse until standing at work was an issue, and running was virtually impossible. I was never convinced by the results of the PF release, but knew we had to do something. I ended up within a few weeks seeing all the top doctors for the Chicagoland area. It was more of a coincidental thing, from trying to get second opinions. Two options were given... Extracorporeal Shockwave Treatment and TOPAZ. ECST is where ur foot is placed against a "balloon-type" thing with shockwaves, and either done in one visit at a strong frequency while your out, or multiple visits at a lower frequency when you're awake. (FYI- Not usually covered by insurance, and costs $3,000-$5,000). We were told this doesnt always work on scar tissue, and if it failed the next step would be TOPAZ, so we went straight to TOPAZ. TOPAZ involves inserting a radiofrequency "wand" into the tissues, where it makes little holes and removes bits of tissue,stimulating blood flow and healing. Usually this is done via a small incision (about 1"), but my surgeon did it without any incisions. He marked my foot in a grid pattern, then while I was under twilight sleep, he "poked" littles holes and inserted the wand through this. Its great because theres no incision, just little holes that close up themselves without any stitches. Its actually cool looking. I was an extensive case, had 30-40 holes, but usually theres only like 15 or so. I was on crutches for 4 weeks, surgical boot for 6... but most people dont need either for more than a week or two, I just had it done on multiple places on my foot. Im 2 1/2 months post surgery and doing great. I still cant run or do hard workouts yet, but I'm getting there. I would recommend this to anyone before surgery and reconstruction. If you have any questions or comments regarding the procedure, or surgeons in IL, feel free to reply or send a message. I'd be more than happy to explain my experience more. Sorry again for the length.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:00 PM   #8
(female)

oregrown HB User

I developed PF years ago after injurying my foot hopping from jetty rock to rock (barefoot, not smart) Anyway, it took forever to get better, and then later it came back when I took up walking a couple miles a day. My Doc suggested having good athletic shoes with arch supports inserted to keep the ligament from stretching. I faithfully wore the supports, and only wore shoes that I could use them, and at night did the other thing my doc suggested. I took a 2-liter soda bottle and froze water in it. After taking off my shoe I would place my foot on the bottle, the contour of the bottle was great. I quit the miles of walking and it took a couple months to completely get better. I'm fine now, and if I'm going to exercise I make sure my foot is supported well.

Oregrown

Old 11-11-2007, 12:15 PM   #9
(male)

der HB User

i have heel spurs etc for last 6 years and dont be fooled it never goes away,repeat never unless you go under the knife which has a 50 percent success rate and even at that you wont get many physios etc to look at your foot when they hear you have surgery,sometimes orthotics work you might get 3 or 4 years out of them if lucky and i believe are one of the biggest money gimics around,and believe me i have been around,.remember 8 out of 10 people have heel spurs but maybe 1 out of 30 get pain.anyway i have tried cortizone ,4 types of orthotics ,stretching etc,and none have worked for the last year after my pain returned after clearing it with orthotics for 4 years,believe me its a gimic,and il tell you why,last week i was so lucky to get in touch with a man with a heeling gift,excuse the pun,he is not trained as a physio or any of that ******** when they feed you with fancy words,he just uses touch.now i have all lumps etc under my heel,and so what he did was he concentrated on breaking these down my massage and getting blood flow in there,the blood is the cure,and also he hit a point in my calf that was so tight it was like rockand broke this down i was nearly in tears and im a powerlifting chanpoin.anywayhe said to use a rolling pin and use it as often as you like you have yo break these muscles down there not bones bones dont move,anyway after one session and about an hour on the rolling pinmy foot is just about perfect,but just as a precaution il get a few more and see how i go,anyway a word of warning stay away from the knife and dodgy physios etc

Old 11-11-2007, 05:20 PM   #10
(female)

Socrriss18 HB User

I had a heel spur on the top of my heel when I was younger, and at 13 years old I got a cortizone shot. Extremely painful, but wouldve gotten another one in a heartbeat, but theyre obviously not great for kids. Mine actually did wear away after a few years, but probably because I was still young and growing.

Last edited by Socrriss18; 11-11-2007 at 05:20 PM.

Closed Thread