It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2007, 07:41 PM   #1
(female)

beautyofspeed HB User
No pain, and now pain four months after bunion surgery?

Hi all.

I had a left bunionectomy (Chevron incision with two K wires) done April 27, 2007. So now I'm 16 weeks post surgery. Everything was going well, I was able to wear shoes, do my usual things. Last week I decided to try to run on the treadmill and do walking lunges again -- for the first time since before my surgery. I had been going to the gym, but avoiding those two activities.

Now my foot HURTS. It throbs and hurts.

I guess I shouldn't have done that, but I thought after four months it would be okay to try!

My question is, did I wreck something in my foot now? Or is it just a flare and warning for me to hold off on the running/lunges for awhile longer? Should I attempt the gym again this week (not running/lunges) but doing the elliptical and weights, etc., in order not to "baby it" or should I just let it rest for a week or so?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2007, 08:43 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

dancergal19 HB User
Re: No pain, and now pain four months after bunion surgery?

hi beauty of speed,

I've actually been having similar issues since i went running for the first time about two weeks ago. I had a lapidus bunionectomy and osteotomy on April 3rd and i felt some discomfort the weeks after surgery but it was pretty mild. I'm still going to physical therapy and my PT said it's probably due to the fact that my foot is still adjusting to the new bone structure. He suggested I get new running shoes (and use orthotics which I already have). Have you gone to physical therapy at all? He also said that my hip alignment was slightly off and that can cause of lot of foot/knee problems. I've been using other cardio machines to stay in shape and am going to take it easy with the running and am hoping that in a month or two I will be back to normal.

I think it's just a matter of time before your foot feels normal again because it has a lot of adjusting to do. I would suggest going to a PT if you haven't already and icing your foot after working out.

Amy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2007, 09:51 AM   #3
(female)

Zardtoe HB User

Ugh - sorry to hear that. I'm 6 months out from the same surgery, and have only tried jogging twice, and have gotten little twinges but no lasting pain. However, last weekend I went on an 8-mile hike, and I've been sore ever since. It feels like it's around the sesamoids, so I was wondering if it's common to get sesamoiditis after working a post-bunionectomy foot too hard (due to residual swelling, or changes in the foot structure still working themselves out, or whatever). Has anyone else experienced this and come out the other side? It would be great to hear from you!

Old 08-22-2007, 03:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

i think it takes a year for the healing process. orthodics shold be a must. i cant see why jogging on the treadmill would do anything. i started easy. first, the bike then the elyptical and the treadmill last. maybe it is also the running shoes. i walk rather than ron on the treadmill. ithink its easier on the body. i also dont think hiking should cause a problem unless it was a really hard hike.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:39 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

dancergal19 HB User

zardtoe - have you asked your dr about sesamoiditis?

I just did a little research online about it and feel like my symptoms are very similar to sesamoiditis symptoms. My foot was okay until I tried running and dancing. After the first run my foot seemed fine and then I tried to go running the following week and couldn't at all. My PT thinks it's just the fat pads on my feet because they need to redistribute. He told me to get new running sneakers and try running again. I guess it could be either or a combination of both so I'm just going to take it easy and use the bike or elliptical for another month or two.

amy

Old 08-25-2007, 09:47 AM   #6
(female)

monster bunion HB User

Dancergal,
Has your foot recovered from running? I had bunion surgery on June 20 and am wondering when I can run again.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:52 AM   #7
(female)

beautyofspeed HB User

hey everyone! Well, it's been 9 months since my surgery and I am running totally fine and even doing walking lunges with absolutely no pain.

So, hang on everyone, cause there's hope! It just takes a long time for the foot to heal, that's all.

~beautyofspeed~

Old 02-04-2008, 01:36 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

good to hear that beauty. we all have to have patience.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:28 PM   #9
(female)

Dark_Light HB User

Thank you for posting an update, it really does help us and gives us a lot of hope. Because right now, I still can't run roperly, although I am only 3 months post-op. How good is your toe flexibilty. Mine is still feels stiff when I walk!

Old 02-04-2008, 04:02 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

wmkcolors HB Userwmkcolors HB User

I'm 5 weeks post op and it sounds like it takes a good 6 months to get back to running form. I get nervous, because I had this surgery done to improve my running, not to worsen it. Darklight, my foot is very stiff, though I'm in a walking boot for lengthy periods. I'm trying to move my toe more and will try PT. I need to hear other happy endings...

Old 02-05-2008, 07:13 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

again you have to have patience. otherwise you can ruin your foot and never be able to run again. take it easy.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:15 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

This is why I'm confused. One person just said to start moving it pronto. Are you saying to not move it much for awhile longer?

Old 02-05-2008, 09:06 PM   #13
(female)

MsTammy HB User

"Starting to move it" is VERY different than running. She's saying to be patient with the need to run. That's going to take a while. You do need to start stretching and bending it, though, to regain as much flexibility as possible. It's a scary thought at first but it is necessary. Try to focus on the baby step improvements. Stressing over what you may or may not be able to do months from now, does you no good NOW. You'll get back to the running. Just give it time.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:42 PM   #14
(female)

alexdunk HB User

Hi

I had right bunionectomy Feb. 11, 2008. I am anxious to get back to working out especially running. I have found all the posts very helpful and was wondering if anyone has tried spinning classes since their surgery. If so, how long before I should attempt a class?

Old 03-02-2008, 06:00 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

I had my bunionectomy on Dec. 27th, much earlier than yours and my doctor didn't want me to put much weight on it until now, 8+ weeks postop. He did say I could use a stationary bike at 7 weeks, but, as a runner, I must admit that is too much pressure on my foot right now, so, I'd be hesitant about spinning for awhile. I have been swimming laps....some....but walking for much more than an afternoon, running errands, is too much. I'd let your foot do the talking, so to speak, but it takes 8-12 weeks for bone to fully heal and then some. I'm slowly learning patience, through this healing process...and it's challenging.

Closed Thread