It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2007, 10:13 PM   #1
(female)

Precious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB User
Question Feeling Miserable

Okay, I'm 1 week post-op from Bunionectomy and Mortons Neuroma removal on my left foot. Can anyone tell me why I have had so much discomfort the past two days? I have been elevating and icing, but for several hours yesterday and today I"ve had such throbbing in the outward side of the foot. A couple of days ago it started turning black and blue in that area where previously it hadn't. I'm trying to stay off but I needed to wash my hair, etc.. It takes about three hours of just having it elevated and totally off of it for the pain to lessen. Any suggestions? I go to my Doc. tomorrow for a visit. I'm also using the Roll-about to get around.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
Re: Feeling Miserable

turning black and blue is normal. the foot is still adjusting and trying to heal. give it time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2007, 08:35 PM   #3
(female)

monster bunion HB User

One of the cruel things about bunion surgery is that depending on the severity of your surgery, the foot wants to stay elevated for 1 to 2 weeks and the more you have the foot down to do stuff, the foot will protest, often around bedtime, and start to throb. I had invasive bunion surgery so I kept my foot elevated for a good 3-1/2 weeks or so. I was icing during that time too. Some days, my foot would feel good, I would do more activities, and then pay for it that evening or the next day. Someone posted once on these boards, it's two steps forward, one step back. Try to take it easy, I know it's hard. My husband had to wash my hair and I had to have my leg propped up so it wouldn't throb. Hope you are feeling better.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:24 PM   #4
(female)

Precious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB User

You're right, I do need to follow through on the elevation and ice. Went to the Dr. today and he said there was a little more bruising than he would like to have seen, but then again, I bruise very easily. I'm a very active person, so it's hard some times to lay there and do nothing but read etc... Next week I'll get my stitches out from bunionectomy & Mortons Neuroma. Tonight I was watching T.V. with my family and all of a sudden I got a cramp in my three toes. My toes starting bending and I couldn't stop them. I jumped up to the floor and I thought for sure I was going to pass out. I hope I didn't do any damage to the toes.

Old 08-24-2007, 02:34 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

that sounds like a charley-horse. its muscles we havent used fo a long time. i still get them and its almost been a year. when you are able you need to strenghten all the areas around the foot. not too worry.

Old 08-25-2007, 02:50 PM   #6
(female)

BunionPatient HB User

hey i am a lil over 4 weeks post-op. I did not have any pain on day of surgery but on the 2nd day I was in real pain. I'm pretty sure it was because of the bandages being too tight. I called the doc and I redid the bandages it felt a lot better.

Old 08-25-2007, 04:01 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

55steel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunionPatient View Post
hey i am a lil over 4 weeks post-op. I did not have any pain on day of surgery but on the 2nd day I was in real pain. I'm pretty sure it was because of the bandages being too tight. I called the doc and I redid the bandages it felt a lot better.
It's probably more because your foot was shot up full of novocaine and your body was shot up full of drugs on the day of surgery. The second day when everything wears off is the worst for any surgery.

Closed Thread