It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2007, 01:49 PM   #1
(female)

lfr HB User
Possible bunion surgery - help with questions please

Hi,
I'm currently considering bunion surgery and I have a few questions. After consulting with a podiatrist who recommended surgery, I also met with an orthopedist who specializes in foot/ankle problems. He also recommended surgery if I can't put up with the pain anymore. At this point, my left foot hurts everyday. I am hoping to put up with the pain for a little longer, but at some point I have a feeling I will go forward with the surgery. My questions are 1) the doctor told me my might lose a little bit of range of motion in my toe. At this point, I would rather lose a little and get rid of the pain. But, for those of you who don't have full range of motion, will I care? I hope that question makes sense....in other words, will it get in the way of my lifestyle and is it better to just live with the pain? 2) I have a europe cruise planned next summer (July). Am I better (safe) waiting until after the cruise to go forward with the surgery - or if I do it over Christmastime, will I be healed enough to walk comfortably on my trip? My gut says to wait until next Aug. but I'm not sure if I can put up with the pain until then.

Thanks,
I'm sure I'll have many more questions down the road as I make my decision.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2007, 04:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
Re: Possible bunion surgery - help with questions please

for a regular bunion surgery you should not have any problems and the toe should be the same. i would not however have the surgery until it is totally neccessary and i would go for a 2nd opinion just to make sure and find out everything.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2007, 05:27 PM   #3
(female)

monster bunion HB User

I had an invasive bunionectomy and I still have toe motion. I would not worry too much about that. It sounds like you are in pain from your bunion. When to have the surgery is really up to you. The pain usually does not go away on its own. Your doctors are the ones that can tell you how long your recovery will be depending on the severity of your correction that you need. My bunion was absolutely killing me and couldn't walk on it. I had to have surgery at that point. I couldn't care less about scars, toe movement, or surgical pain at that point. I was in pain and wasn't getting any better. After surgery, I would be in pain, but at least I would be getting better.

Good luck on your decision. One more thing that I learned, I never thought I would have to have my family take care of me, I always took care of my family. When you have bunion surgery, your family has to take care of you for a while. So, take care of your feet now and be well so you can take care of your family.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:27 PM   #4
(female)

lfr HB User

Thanks both of you. I am in pain - all the time. But, I can walk and still go through my life....but I'm getting tired of the pain. I've tried all non-surgical approaches, so I guess I just need to decide when it's time. If I didn't have three kids, two jobs and a traveling husband, I would go for it sooner than later. Knowing that I will be out of commision for awhile, I will need to make sure I have the help and my husband home for awhile. Every time I finally decide to go forward with the surgery, someone comments how horrible the surgery is, recovery so hard, etc. and I think that maybe I can wait a bit longer.

Closed Thread