It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2007, 02:13 PM   #1
(female)

schouten HB User
bunions x2?

I need to have radical B on both feet. By question is whever to have them both done together and be done with it or one at a time. I don't really want to go through this twice though so am leaning towards having then done together. But what about the mobility after one verus both? And how long wil it take me to recover?

Also will I notice any reduction in flexion of the toes afterwards. And when I'm fully back to normal will there be any restriction in shoes? I've never worn "high" heels much and that's not what caused this. But once in a while I'll wear a bit of a heel for something special and I'll wear a low-mid heel for work etc. Though now I'm wearing whatever I can. All advice appreciated

Laura

Old 08-24-2007, 03:55 PM   #2
(female)

tv53 HB User
Re: bunions x2?

Hi Laura,

I am a 54 year old athletic woman who recently (6/26) had my left foot operated (radical bunionectomy, hammer toe, Morton's Neuroma). The initial two weeks are tough & I would get on all fours to navigate from my bed to the bathroom. I did not want to use crutches on thick carpet. Icing & keeping the foot elevated are key. Went to work after two weeks (university professor), and kept my foot elevated in my office. It is now almost two months, and my scars have healed nicely. Being horizontal for extended time creates swelling. I have four more weeks before I can go to physical therapy. To date, I have gone to the gym (week 4) and done the arm bike, and upper torso weight lifting. No weight bearing exercise until after week 12. I cannot imagine doing both feet at once. If you do, make sure you have a good support system at home.

Best wishes,

TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by schouten View Post
I need to have radical B on both feet. By question is whever to have them both done together and be done with it or one at a time. I don't really want to go through this twice though so am leaning towards having then done together. But what about the mobility after one verus both? And how long wil it take me to recover?

Also will I notice any reduction in flexion of the toes afterwards. And when I'm fully back to normal will there be any restriction in shoes? I've never worn "high" heels much and that's not what caused this. But once in a while I'll wear a bit of a heel for something special and I'll wear a low-mid heel for work etc. Though now I'm wearing whatever I can. All advice appreciated

Laura

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2007, 11:07 PM   #3
(female)

Precious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB User
Smile Re: bunions x2?

Having both feet done at the same time will be difficult even if you have a good support team at home. I'm 9 days post-op from radical buionectomy and Mortons Neuroma removed. You won't be able to put weight on your feet at all. Just having my one foot done was difficult, and ice and elevation will be your constant companion. Saw my Dr. at 8 days and still I can't do weight bearing. Fighting boredom will be a major thing so get plenty of books, tapes, etc... Keep checking the boards as they can be a life saver.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:58 PM   #4
(female)

firey05 HB User
Cool Re: bunions x2?

Hi Laura,

I had a bilateral when i was 20, no problem walking on crutches after a week if i recall, i went off to uni on crutches a few weeks after, getting on off buses etc, doing stuff for myself no problem. Would definitely advocate both done at once to get it over and done with. However I was young and resiliant then! Depends exactly what you are having done in relation to toe flexion. I was ok on the first op, but had my right one re-done last year which thay screwed so there was limited flexion for a while, I also had a pip fusion of the next toe and tendon transfers in the others so obviously that has limited flexion - this op was far more painful than I recall the first one being, but working from home ok after a few weeks. Main problem being not being able to drive after the op. My functional ability was virtually the same post op for both.

I rarely where any heels now, flat shoes for work and only where heels if going out and not walking anywhere, but i'm 5ft 7 so not too much of a problem for me - i only care about comfort. My mum who is shorter and had the op but still wear heels all the time, but personally i think this is asking for the deformity to return quicker. Wearing shoes which are tight where the scar is can be uncomfortable. The main advantage is that your shoes remain the shape they were when you bought them, not the shape your bunions have made them! luickily there are plenty of flat/non narrow styles around at the moment, so quick buy as many as you can!!

good luck
Chez

Old 08-25-2007, 10:48 PM   #5
(female)

KathJack HB User

Last spring I had bunionectomies & hammertoe surgery on both of my feet at the same time. (The doctor described my bunions as significantly severe; the hammertoes were caused by the big toes bending in so far that they pushed under the next ones.) I have absolutely NO regrets about having it all done at once. I chose to do it that way for several reasons—even though I might have been "out of commission" for a bit longer initially, I felt that it would be less total time off than with two surgeries. Secondly, I knew that a huge part of recovery is to keep one's foot elevated and iced—It’s pretty hard to get around while even one foot is being elevated, so I figured why not elevate both feet at the same time? Same with pre-surgery exams & check-ups, dealing with side effects from anesthesia, pain drugs, etc.—Two for the price of one.

You would need to have some good support for the first two weeks, although not necessarily 24/7. From Day One I was allowed to walk to the bathroom alone using my surgical sandals. After the second week, I switched from the sandals to big gym shoes. I was always able to get around fairly well on my own. Never needed casts or crutches-- just walked very robot-like. Life got pretty much back to normal for me by about eight weeks, at which time I could walk a mile. BTW, I am 57 and in fairly good shape—used to being active and doing a lot of walking. A year after my surgery I finally had a reason to wear heels-- my son's wedding. I didn't have any interest in high heels, so I didn't even try them, but I had no problem wearing cute dressy silver sandals with a moderate heel. I'm sure I could have worn heels much earlier; just didn't care to. My flexibility is fine-- if it's any different than pre-surgery, I don't notice it. My doctor had me bending the big toes back and forth for several weeks, starting two weeks after surgery; I think that helped.

I highly recommend that you look in the Healthboards archives to find the two threads called “Double Bunionectomy Questions” from last spring (a second started after the first one got too long). You can read about many different experiences and almost any issue you could imagine got discussed on those threads.

I hope that you make the best decision for your situation, and whether you do it one at a time or together, that it goes really well. Keep in touch! Kathy

Old 08-26-2007, 11:16 AM   #6
(female)

schouten HB User

Thanks all. I'm pretty decided to have both done at the same time simply because I don't want to go through this twice. I am concerned about the home support afterwards tough. I have a friend who can come in afterwards the first day but beyond that I'm on my own and all my familly are far away. On the plus side I live on the ground floor and am wheel chair accesable which I assume I'll need for a few days. I'm not interested about high heels but have a closset full of mid heel which I've not been able to touch for a while now due to the bunions. The reason I asked this was because someone (uninformed) tole me after the surgery your toe never flexes as much. I'm glad they are wrong on this

L

Old 08-26-2007, 12:06 PM   #7
(female)

KathJack HB User

If you're concerned about flexibility, I'd be really conscientious about doing the big toe bending a LOT, and maybe even physical therapy. (I didn't have it, but many do.) Some doctors don't want you to be weight-bearing or move your feet for a long time. I think some of it is due to what kind of procedure you have and some due to the doctor's philosophy. I felt that my early movement was key to my flexibility, so I'd check on what your doctor says about that ahead of time. Also, a lot of doctors don't like to do double bunionectomies, so make sure you choose one who is willing to consider it. He/she may not be too pleased to hear that you don't have much post-surgery support, so I'd see if you can find other friends or neighbors who can supplement what your friend has already agreed to do. I don't think my doctor would have agreed to do my double procedure if I hadn't assured him that I would have excellent care from my husband, two adult children, extended family, and friends.

However, I have to say that I actually was pretty independent and that my biggest aid to that was a college dorm type fridge. (I had the larger kind with a good sized freezer section.) I kept it in my bedroom right next to my side of the bed. I had easy access to fresh ice packs, cool water and other drinks, and snacks like fruit, jello, etc. It was especially great not have to disturb anyone in the middle of the night. If you can't get a fridge, a cooler would be a good substitute if someone will agree to refresh the ice every day. I put a TON of stuff next to the bed ahead of time. In addition to things like books and electronics to work and be entertained with, I had dry snacks (you can even have cereal for breakfast if you have milk in a fridge), wipees, cosmetics & toothbrush (with a basin for spitting)-- All I really needed was meals, but I could have gotten by with sandwiches or put a microwave on top of the fridge and zapped frozen dinners, if I hadn't had family around to cook for me. A friend offered me use of an electric wheelchair. It was not practical to have it in our house, but I used it for transportation. "Drove" to the library, doctor's apt., park, etc. It was wonderful to feel like I could get out and around independently on nice days when I was still unable to drive a car. Do you have friends who could drop in once a day to bring you carry-out food, pick up any new prescriptions, empty trash, etc.? Also, it's nice to have some company to keep from going stir-crazy. I'd also think about preparing some supplies for activities you might enjoy doing-- Beading, knitting, crossword, jigsaw, or So***u puzzles, painting or drawing, playing an instrument... and a laptop with internet access is worth its weight in gold! I also highly recommend an innertube to sit in to take pressure off of your backbone and to plan ahead of time what you're going to use to elevate your feet. (I had a variety of pillows-- wedge and column shaped-- and a bean bag chair.) Preparation is really important, especially if you don't have a small army of people at your beck and call to fetch for you! Good luck.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:21 PM   #8
(female)

Precious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB User

I totally agree with Kathjack. On flexine the big toe use caution. After a few days my Dr. only wanted me wiggling the toe back and forth a little. Then he had me holding a spot underneath the big toe and putting another fingure on top so as to just bend the toe up and down, but not bend where the first joint is because that's where the hardware is.
And yes it will be difficult taking care of yourself if you have both done together, but try to incorporate allot of the suggestions from Kathjack. I had a radical one done plus Mortons Neuroma removal, and I don't know how I would have made it without my daughter taking off work for a few days and then my hubby with me the following few days. Just getting over the tiredness from the general anesthesia was difficult.
When are you going to schedule the surgery, and will you have the time to take off work?
Keep us informed.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:05 PM   #9
(female)

cosmic1 HB User

I had very severe bunions.
Both were done at different times.
I had external pin fixation. These are very large screws that stick pretty darn far out of the bone. Six for one foot and five for the other.
I also had internal pins.
Internal pins are a breeze!!!!
External screws are pretty much a living hell.
I thought that I would have both feet done.
The POD who is now a lead board examiner in podiatry refused.
Stating that he would no longer do double bunion surgeries because of all the past complaining of his patients.
After, the surgery was done I COULD NOT EVEN IMAGINE HAVING BOTH FEET DONE AT THE SAME TIME.
I was no weight bearing in a very heavy to drag about cam walker for two weeks. Crutches, then walk on the heel at two weeks.
When someone states that they had sandals on and walked right away, I could probably see having both done.
However, I ran into so many unforseen complications.
Make sure that you know what you are in for COMPLETELY.
My surgery and things were much more complicated.
My feet are fine now and I am pleased that I had them done but it was major stuff.... Do not take it lightly depending on the degree of your surgeries!!!

Old 08-29-2007, 01:36 PM   #10
(female)

RightFootMary HB User

Hi Schouten - I think it would depend on your doctor and what type of surgery you will have. I asked my pod about doing both and he said "no way" you will not be able to weightbear at all for 8 weeks! I couldn't put any weight on my foot so I only had one done. I can not imagine doing both unless you have a less radical surgery. I had a Lapidus procedure which involved cutting the first metatarsul and fusing the bone which is why I couldn't put any weight on it.

Good luck.

Mary in NY

Old 10-31-2007, 07:55 AM   #11
(female)

carole allen HB User

hi there i also have bunions very bad thinking about surgery please let me know how you get on ,take care

Last edited by carole allen; 10-31-2007 at 07:56 AM.

Closed Thread