It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2007, 05:48 AM   #1
(male)

SkatersDad HB User
Return to activities after OCD Repair

On another Thread, their were several of us who had OCD Drilling, Microfracture, Allograft Plugs, and OBI Plugs for resurfacing the articular surface of our Talus Bone. Apparently most have recovered and moved on because the last post was quite some time ago (Time goes pretty slow in the Talus Bone World).

My son had a 9mm donor allograft plug inserted last April 17th. He is starting his 5th month post-op and beginning a new series of PT targeted at increasing his ROM and Strenght so as to return him to athletic activities. Last week the PT determined that Daniel was good to go if he just wanted to walk, play golf and other non-impact activities. To skate however, he would need a few more months of rehab which I guess is going to hurt and will push the ankle to another level. They start next week. Daniel sees his OS again on September 27 when I think he will get another MRI (Fingers crossed) and possibly get OK to try ice skating.

Daniel also got a new orthotic last week and seems very pleased with it. I had a discussion with an OS and also with a Athletic Trainer about the role of pronation in Talus and Sub Talus Problems. Regarding my son's injury, which we had thought resulted from "toeing" when doing Toe Jumps like Flip and Lutz and possibly over torqueing during lift off - the OS is convinced that it needed to take place during landing and not during take-off for the jump. Toeing causes problems with the Metatarsals and Navicular Bone - Not the Talus. But the pronation, pushes the Talus forward and causes it to topload so overuse can cause the injury that Daniel had. The Orthotic is suppose to hold the Sub-Talar Joint in its correct position and not top-load the Talus Dome. (Sorry for Writing a Book)

Will keep posting on how "Daniel" the "Rinkrat" is doing and hope to hear from some others who have had OCD Surgery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2007, 06:53 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

happyfoot7 HB User
Re: Return to activities after OCD Repair

Hey Dennis,

still around, just not much new to report... all still going very well, but it's gonna be a long road to full recovery. Glad to hear Daniel is still improving, and look forward to hearing about him skating soon.

Kira

Old 08-26-2007, 01:44 PM   #3
(female)

carol1225 HB User
Re: Return to activities after OCD Repair

Hey Dennis!
Still around as well and so happy to hear that Daniel is recovering so nicely. Doing ok on my end, thinking back to nearly a year ago how awful it was and now I won't say its perfect but a heck of alot better and I hope that over time it will continue to work out the kinks and return to normal (whatever that may be).
Again I wish Daniel continued success and I hope that he is back to skating again in no time.
All my best!
Carol

Closed Thread