It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2007, 08:11 PM   #1
(female)

monster bunion HB User
my podiatrist doesn't need to see me anymore 10 weeks post-op

My podiatrist says she doesn't need to see me anymore, I am 10 weeks post-op from a lapidus bunionectomy, should I be worried? She thinks the swelling is way down on my foot for 10 weeks and thinks I can walk on the foot ok,
although my big toe joint is still sore and stiff. She says I don't need PT.
Do I need more follow-up?

Old 08-25-2007, 08:28 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sorefootsophie HB User
Re: my podiatrist doesn't need to see me anymore 10 weeks post-op

Well, a lapidus is a fusion (arthrodesis) of the first metatarsal/cuneiform joint so that would probably be a minimum of 8 weeks for fusion to occur. There are a few people on this board who have had this done...I sure hope they reply to you. The one question that comes to mind....Did your doctor do an xray to ensure that the joint is fused? If not, you really do need that. It will take longer for the fusion to FULLY consolidate. Did your doctor say you don't have to come back UNLESS you are having ANY problems....or...don't come back? I would think the door should have been left open for subsequent visits. How are you doing? Pain? Swelling? Difficulties? (with the fused joint, I mean) Did you express to your doctor that all was good? There would not have been anything done to the 1st mtp joint so the stiffness would maybe be caused from the lack of movement there while the other joint was healing. Sometimes doctors think just every day walking is good physical therapy. You could always call the office and request physical therapy! Maybe you could elaborate more on what went on at the visit then it would be easier to see why the comment was made. Sophie

Last edited by sorefootsophie; 08-25-2007 at 08:31 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2007, 02:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

should your toe be able to move eventually? if so, you have to go and see the dr. if not, you still have to see the dr.

Old 08-26-2007, 03:11 PM   #4
(female)

monster bunion HB User

Sophie,
The x-ray showed good fusion of the metatarsal/cuneiform joint. My first mtp joint was cut in a couple places to correct the misalignment caused by the bunion. I can move the big toe, it's just stiff. The doctor said I could come back whenever I want, I assume that means if I have a problem. I'm not having any pain and there is still a little swelling on the big toe side of the foot where they cut the mtp joint. When should I stop wearing the compression stocking?

Debbie,
Are you saying I should see the podiatrist in a year or so just to touch base on how things are going?

Old 08-27-2007, 02:46 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

no, sooner than that. if the big toe is stiff ask about pt so arthritis does not set in.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:23 PM   #6
(female)

zapfamily HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster bunion View Post
My podiatrist says she doesn't need to see me anymore, I am 10 weeks post-op from a lapidus bunionectomy, should I be worried? She thinks the swelling is way down on my foot for 10 weeks and thinks I can walk on the foot ok,
although my big toe joint is still sore and stiff. She says I don't need PT.
Do I need more follow-up?

Old 08-27-2007, 05:25 PM   #7
(female)

zapfamily HB User

Hi - this is my first time on this site....I laughed when I read the posts from "monster bunion"

I had a lapidus procedure done last Thursday...just curious how you have survived the nonweightbearing part...this is so hard!

When did you first put weight on your foot? How are you feeling? When was your surgery?

Hope you are recovering well and can tell me some positive news!

Old 08-27-2007, 07:06 PM   #8
(female)

monster bunion HB User

Hi Zapfamily,
Welcome to the boards. You can find out a lot of information here. Sounds like you are hanging in there for five days out post-op. It is really hard, this foot surgery thing. I never realized I would need my family so much. I was non-weight bearing in a cast for 6 weeks (first week was a pressure bandage splint though), and then if the x-ray shows good fusion of the metatarsal/cuneiform joint, they take off the cast and give you a cam boot and you can start walking on it. It took about 7 to 10 days before I was confident enough and not sore enough to go out of the house. I wrote most everything down in a journal day by day because unfortunately, I have to do this again on the other foot. My surgery was June 20. The walking part is the best part of this whole miserable journey. Good news, as the weeks go by, it will get better and better. The first week, I had pain for two days, then it got better, then it got worse again for me because I got a contact dermatitis under the pressure bandage, which developed into blisters, then they put a cast over it, so I was pretty miserable for the first 2-1/2 weeks. The blood rushing to the foot when you put the foot down should get better every week. Keep your foot elevated and iced for the first two weeks. I iced and elevated for about 3-1/2 weeks. The more the swelling comes down, the better the stitches heal and easier for them to come out. Find yourself things you can do without moving off the couch or bed because the physical inactivity can drive you bonkers. Any questions, don't hesitate to ask, I check the boards daily.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:43 PM   #9
(female)

BunionPatient HB User

hey monster bunion, im 17 years old and I had a lapidus procedure too. I was wandering when you were able to weight bear & when you were able to walk without the help of crutches. Today I am 5 weeks post-op. My podiatrist did not say that I did not have to see him anymore but I won't be able to see him in late September because I'm off to college and im from nor cal going to so cal. So, it will be only 8 weeks post-op and not being able to go back for awhile. I hope I can walk soon so I can get to class around campus!

Old 08-28-2007, 01:22 PM   #10
(female)

monster bunion HB User

Hi BunionPatient,
You didn't mention if you were in a cast or not. I had my cast removed after 6 weeks, then they give you a cam boot to start walking in. After the cast came off, my heel was sore, and the bottom of the foot was sore so I had to gradually put weight on it. Also the bunion joint was really sore because they made cuts in it to correct my alignment. Each day I would walk some, then rest some, walk some, rest some. It took about 7 days before I was confident to make a trip to Jamba Juice. Even though I could walk, the foot still wanted to rest and be elevated periodically each day. By day 10, I the foot didn't mind being down for 1-1/2 hours so I could get a haircut. By 20 days, I tried driving. Ditched the boot day 27 and was in tennis shoes (but practiced the shoes for short periods for 8 days prior). It's day 29 now (from cast removal day), and I'm walking decently now, but with a slight limp, and able to make two or three quick errands, but still resting the foot and icing. If you do too much, your foot will let you know by throbbing. Some nights I took two tylenol 325mg tabs, but it was never too bad at all (there is no pain, just soreness). I was very frustrated in the beginning because here they take my cast off and I just wanted to do everything and walk all day, which I couldn't. I had to go slowly and be patient. Hope this helps and good luck in school.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:32 PM   #11
(female)

BunionPatient HB User

Thanks for replying, I was not put in a cast. I had heavy bandages put on after the surgery and they put me in a long heavy boot that can come off and on. So with the cast and the boot combine, was it about 10 weeks till you could actually walk?

Old 08-28-2007, 01:45 PM   #12
(female)

monster bunion HB User

At 10 weeks I can walk in the tennis shoe fine. You can probably walk in the cam boot after 7 days of weight bearing, you just need to rest inbetween walking, which you can do while you are in class. You can cruise around in the cam boot pretty well because it's cushioned around your foot. I ditched the crutches after 5 days, but others have ditched the crutches after 2 hours or 2 days.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:16 PM   #13
(female)

RightFootMary HB User

Hi Monster Bunion - when I was about 10 weeks post-op from Lapidus my pod sent me for PT since I still have swelling (I really think it was because the first compression sock I had wasn't "tight" enough). I only did PT for 2 weeks and got a tighter compression sock and did the exercises on my own at home (although the foot and leg massages I got in PT were great).

My pod said the internal screw was permanent (I also had an external that was removed at 6 weeks) but sometimes that "permanent" screw can bother me, especially if my foot swells at all and I can literally feel the end of the screw through the skin. I may talk to him about removing it at some point. I'm 10 months post op now (Oct 2006). I went back for follow-up visits alot and when I went in June he told me to come back in 6 months with my orthodics. I can walk a long time now (over 3 miles at a time) and I can't say the foot hurts at all. Some shoes make it swell some and I have no heels anymore - I'm afraid to try them.

Hope each day gets better.

Mary in NY

Old 08-28-2007, 02:36 PM   #14
(female)

cosmic1 HB User

I had both feet done severe bunions.
They, of course, were done at different times.
I had very large external fixation pins ( five in the left foot and six in the right foot).
So, when the external pins had to be removed I had an IV sedation to have them removed.
I requested that the internal pins be removed at that time because I did not want to have any future problems with them.
I have delicate/small feet and did not want to feel the screws period!
Anyhow, the anesthesiologist that was working with me said.
It is good that you are having the internal pins removed now.
Because, I have witnessed how difficult they are to remove in the future when they become inbedded.
Just a warning to any of you that might be in the position to decide to have them removed post op.........................

Closed Thread