It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2007, 01:01 PM   #1
(female)

tigerlily11 HB User
Unhappy Help! torn ankle ligament/chipped bone-found out I need modified Bostrom procedure-

Last August I turned my foot/ ankle but didn't get an MRI until February. The results showed the tip of my fibula broke off and much or most of the anterior talo-fibular ligament torn away. Doc tried conservative approach first with cast and boot but it didn't work. He claims I need surgery to correct it..a small mini anchor would be drilled into the end of the fibula and the atfl would be reattached to that. This involves 6 weeks in a hard cast - non weight bearing followed by three weeks of physcial therapy. An added probelm is a GREATLY FEAR anesthesia as well as the alternative which would be an epidural (spinal) which numbs the entire lover half of your body Yikes!!! A local ankle block would not suffice. Needless to say, the challenges of work and taking care of an elderly mother are added stresses.
Please share your story with this injury and surgery, or a similar surgery...healing time, pain factor, did it take longer before you could bear weight, etc, etc. Or did you have a similar injury and not need surgery at all!!!
I am in pain all the time, and I miss hiking, strolling and all my pre-injury activities..Also any suggestions for a cardio-work-out when you have an ankle injury?????? I've gained 15 punds!!!!Thanks for your help.. I posted this already, but I think the first one got lost in cyberspace or I didn't post correctly!

Old 08-27-2007, 05:30 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

55steel HB User
Re: Help! torn ankle ligament/chipped bone-found out I need modified Bostrom procedur

I've had the surgery twice. It's painful, it's a long recovery but it's worth it to have a stable ankle. You have to decide if you want to live your life forever feeling the way you feel now, or if you want to get it fixed and feel better in a few months. It's as simple as that.

As for the anesthesia, what are you afraid of? Millions of people get put to sleep every day and live to tell the tale. I've had general anesthesia like 20 times or so, and it's no big deal. I actually think it's kind of cool. You fall asleep and wake up what seems like a moment later and you're done. You should be more fearful of what your life will be like if you do nothing.

Swimming is a great way to get cardio exercise.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2007, 09:07 PM   #3
(female)

tigerlily11 HB User
Re: Help! torn ankle ligament/chipped bone-found out I need modified Bostrom procedur

Thanks for the info!! I am curious as to why you had to have the procedure done twice!! Did you by chance re-injure the ankle after the first procedure? Did you regain normal use of your ankle after the surgery? My ortho makes it sound so minimal and easy!!! (He didn't mention the 'very painful' part!!)
Part of my hesitaton is that I have been told that these injuries can sometimes take two to three years to heal!! I am willing to wait that long to avoid surgery which can often have an unpredictable outcome! I think part of my hesitation is that I had a Morton's Neuroma removed on the same foot 11 years ago. Had I to chose over again, I never would have had that surgery. It now feels as though I am walking on an almond and my twos are separating and somewhat twisting..I was told that the doc who did that surgery may have accidently cut a tendon!! Let me know how your modified Brotrom worked out! Thanks for your help!!!!!!!

Closed Thread