It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2007, 10:56 PM   #1
(female)

rainabow HB User
It's been a while

I haven't been here for a while, mostly cause I've been scrambling to get myself ready for grad school and get my foot in tip-top shape for the long days ahead that will be spent commuting on foot. It has been about 2.5 months since my surgery.

My toe is actually about 90% as flexible as it used to be. Of course it hurts to bend it all the way, but at least it can be done. All I'm waiting on is the swelling, and I know that will take a long time to resolve. Overall, I'm happy so far with the outcome.

I just really have an issue w/ swelling, because even before surgery, my feet would swell a lot in the heat. Has anyone used compression socks or support hose? What kind did you get? Did it help?

I hope everyone else's recoveries are also going smoothly. I'm a huge baby when it comes to surgery, so I'm convinced that if I can make it, anyone can. Good luck to everyone

Old 08-27-2007, 08:33 AM   #2
(female)

monster bunion HB User
Re: It's been a while

Glad to hear you are doing so well! Good luck to you in grad school. My podiatrist gave me a compression stocking to wear (I had bunion surgery also)
that was called "AntiEm/GP" by Jobst, Knee-Hi (Seamless anti-embolism elastic stocking, latex free). I am about 5'2", so the size was medium circumference 12"-15", Leg Length Regular 14"-17". I wear it during the day and it seems to keep the swelling down, although I'm not sure when I should stop wearing it, probably when there isn't anymore swelling. I am 10 weeks post-op.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2007, 02:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

i think the compression sock is great! glad you 2 are doning so well!

Old 08-27-2007, 09:52 PM   #4
(female)

Precious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB User

I'll have to ask my doc about the compression stocking on my visit this Thursday. I'll be on my feet 8 hours a day when I return to work.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:50 PM   #5
(female)

RightFootMary HB User

Hi Rainbow - I started using a compression sock when I was 8 weeks post op however the pod didn't tell we what kind to get so they just sold me an "average" one and I don't think it was "tight" enough. So after 2 weeks when I went back to the dr I asked for a "tighter" one and he had to give me a prescription for it. That one worked much better to keep the swelling down. At least with 2 stockings I only had to use one at a time (I just got a regular black trouser sock for the other foot) so I could wash one and wear one.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Mary in NY

Closed Thread