It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2007, 10:15 PM   #1
(female)

zapfamily HB User
Lapidus Bunionectomy on 8/23

I am a new member and still learning how to navigate these boards...I would like to chat with others who have had a lapidus procedure - I'm really needing some positive input! My surgery went well from what the doctor said but I have not been out of my room since last Thursday - and I'm going stir crazy! I keep my foot up and iced almost all day - or else it throbs. I'd love to hear what others did to occupy their time and how long it took to get more mobile. I have a "roll about" but I'm not using it yet. Also, for those that are farther along...what is the timeline for walking and getting back to normal. Did anyone do floor exercises, leg lifts, and light weights to stay in shape?

Thank goodness for laptops - this is a journey that is overwhelming right now. Would love to hear how others got through it and how their results are. Thanks!

Old 08-28-2007, 01:15 AM   #2
(female)

ursulac HB User
Re: Lapidus Bunionectomy on 8/23

Hi.My Dd is 7 yrs old and had both her feet done on 6 June this year.(bunionectomy/osteotomy of both)She was no weight bearing for 8 weeks..in hard cast.the wheel chair worked well and she was back at school after only 5 days.after 8 weeks she used crutches for about 1 week.she is now pain and swelling free!!!the op was a huge success and she is doing well.the laptop and playstation kept her busy but so did all her friends.the people on this site also helped soooo much.gave us ideas of things to do,games to play..just support in general for the whole family.I hope all keeps going well for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2007, 08:40 AM   #3
(female)

monster bunion HB User

read my post on "I'm 10 weeks post-op and my podiatrist doesn't want to see me anymore.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:57 AM   #4
(female)

monster bunion HB User

I really didn't do any exercises while I was in a cast because everytime I would move too much, my foot would throb. Putting down the foot below my heart would cause it to throb. So much for exercise. When I started walking, I was so out of shape. I took a walk with my mother and daughter two blocks to the playground a couple of days ago and I thought I wouldn't make it back, it took about 20 minutes for me to catch my breath. (I'm average weight and under 50). One cruel thing about this type of foot surgery, one day I would feel better, foot wouldn't throb so much, then I would get up on crutches and do stuff, then I would pay for it later in the evening and not be able to sleep or the next day it would throb too. It can destroy your spirit.
Sometimes its two steps forward, one step back. I had to remember constantly how grateful I was for my family and my life. Remember, things will get better, but it may be week by week. Your are doing the right thing by icing and elevating constantly.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:22 PM   #5
(female)

BunionPatient HB User
Thumbs up Re: Lapidus Bunionectomy on 8/23

Hey zapfamily, I am 5 weeks post-op from the Lapidus procedure. I can tell you what my process has been. The first day, pain free. 2nd day, PAIN LIKE HECK!!!, after that its been okay, throbbing, swollen, bruised.... I did not have a cast, just white gauze and bandages that were wrapped around my right foot. On top of that I was put in a black boot that had a air type of bubble at the top and the boot ended below my knee. after 1st week post-op I had my bandages redone... (noticed my foot was in pain b/c the bandages were too tight and making me bruise, so I redid them) 2nd week I had my stitches taken out and the doc gave me the okay to get the foot wet. I did not get it wet right away because I could tell my wound was a little open near my big toe. I had no bandages anymore the foot was bare but sometimes I wrap it up to keep it safe. I saw the doc on the 4th week and he told my my foot was very swollen. I could barely lay it flat when they were taking x-rays. The doc sort of gave me the ok to bear weight on the heel while wearing the boot that day. I havent been really bearing weight because I want to make sure it is fusing. Well, I hope you are patient, because this is a long journey but if you don't put pressure on your foot, everything should be okay. I've rent netflix, shopped on ****, and read books while I'm at hope recuperating. I can't wait till walk too!!!! Good Luck and Keep Your Head Up, that's what I've been trying to do.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:30 PM   #6
(female)

monster bunion HB User

BunionPatient,
By any chance, did you have an aircast? Was it comfortable, and did you take it off at night to sleep? They gave me a cast, which I didn't like at all because I got contact dermatitis under it. Someone (Relteach) has mentioned that the aircast was more comfotable than a cast. I may ask for it on my next surgery.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:04 PM   #7
(female)

RightFootMary HB User

Hi Zapfamily - I had a Lapidus surgery in October 2006. I had a hard "half cast" that went up the back of my leg to just under my knee for 2 weeks and then I got an "air boot" cast. I had to use crutches for about 7 weeks - couldn't figure out how to walk in the air boot without them until the last week. I had a family friend who brought me DVDs to watch and I knit and crochet so that kept me busy. I found my lifesavers were a rolling office chair so I could at least "scoot" around my kitchen and get lunch for myself and after a while I could kneel on it and do some cooking and washing of dishes. The other lifesaver was a shower chair and a handheld shower head so I could use the shower with a shower "boot" on.

The best advice is keep the foot up and rest (I know that's not what you want to hear). I have an office job and was able to go back after 2 1/2 weeks. Not driving for 8 weeks was what drove me crazy and we were getting into the holiday season and I was getting depressed but at 7-8 weeks everything started to change and get better.

The residual swelling will take a loooonnnnng time. I still have bouts of swelling. I hear it can take up to a year. But without a doubt I would do it all over again and I didn't have a painful bunion but my big toe was crossing over the second toe and pushing up through the top of my shoes. I really am happy with the outcome.

Good luck and come here any time for some "tea and sympathy".

Mary in NY

Old 08-28-2007, 02:05 PM   #8
(female)

BunionPatient HB User

Hey MontersBunion, Yes I think I was put in an aircast. This is how I would describe it. The bottom of it is made out of some hard plastic type material. The inside is soft and cusioned where you put your foot in. You can tighten and loosen your foot however you like. There is a blue air bubble near my knee area but I do not use it. It says (inflate, deflate) When I'm at home I do not wear it at all because I'm usually not moving that much and it gets heavy most of the time that I wear it. It keeps my foot safe though. I don't sleep with it either. The only time I wear it is when I go to my doc and moving around a lot. LOL. and when he told me I can bear weight on my heel the 4th week. Otherwise, I like being barefoot and elevating my foot when I sleep.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:17 PM   #9
(female)

monster bunion HB User

BunionPatient,
I'm amazed your doctor didn't put you in a cast if you were non-weight bearing. He must have trusted you to not knock your foot on something and wreck the alignment. Sleeping barefoot was a real luxury. Sleep for me was really tough with the cast on. I told my doctor about the Aircast for my next surgery and she wasn't too pleased with it.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:52 PM   #10
(female)

BunionPatient HB User

LOL. my doc actually didn't say I could sleep barefoot. but I am a rebel! hahaha It is just so uncomfortable wearing the aircast while you sleep. I hope you don't have to wear a cast on your next surgery. I just had my right foot done and I have a bunion on my left too but man I doubt I want to have a surgery soon because this lapidus procedure is soooo soooo long.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:51 PM   #11
(female)

RightFootMary HB User

I guess I had kind of the "best", if you can say that, of both. I first had a "half" cast that went from under my toes up the back of my leg to just below my knee. It was kept on with two ace bandages. In the beginning I was allowed to take my foot out for about 20 min at a time provided I kept it elevated and went no where. After 2 weeks I got the air cast with the rocker bottom so was able to put my foot down. I didn't have to wear the air cast at night but I had to put the "half" cast back on for a couple more weeks at night. It was nice to be able to at least switch off and on. Recovery wasn't any quicker and I thought it would never end but it was tolerable (at least looking back it was but at the time I was very discouraged).

Hope everyone is doing well now.

Mary in NY

Old 09-01-2007, 10:01 AM   #12
(female)

zapfamily HB User

Hi Mary - thanks for input. My bunion didn't hurt either - just incredible ball of foot pain that was misdiagnosed as a neuroma. I'm nine days into this and everyday I feel better (although I do have moments where I get very discouraged!) I got on the floor this morning and stretched my back and tried to do some abdominal work with my legs up on a chair. It made me feel so much better to move around. This will pass...and thanks again.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:08 PM   #13
(female)

cosmic1 HB User

I had two severe bunions.
I had external fixation devices. Very large, long external screws ( six in one foot and five in the other).
Anyhow, I had a cam walker on when I was up.
I was supppose to wear it in bed and NEVER did.
I would have gone absolutely mad if I had to sleep with that thing on.
However, all of the other precautions I took very seriously.
I went sooo stir crazy.
It was worse the second foot done 9 mos. later.
What kept me sane was routine.
My husband was so wonderful and drove my butt around at night.
He would walk the dog in a park that overlooks Lake Michigan.
I would sit in the car with My Starbuck's, iced mocha.
That Starbucks mocha kept me happy.
The inactivity is just nuts.
I rarely watch any TV anymore because I was so overdosed.
For some reason, I was obsessed with the movie Michael and watched it a million times.
Nothing you can do but bear it.
If you can drive, I found great pleasure in getting on the mobile scooters at the local grocery store. Just to have some freedom. But, they are not the best to manuever in the store and people don't respect one on them.
I do respect those who have to use them now.
It will be over. Just follow the rules so that you are done with all of this stuff in six weeks and you don't add any complications to it!!!!

Old 09-04-2007, 08:19 PM   #14
(female)

zapfamily HB User

I have just about 2 weeks behind me since the surgery and I'm hanging in there...following all the rules and never putting my foot to the ground. IT'S SO HARD though...... My family has been great - one of my sisters surprised me and drove here to Virginia from Nashville to spend the week with me. I know it's not that fun for her...I'm a bit of a neat freak and it is driving me crazy that I can't pick up the house and zip around - but she is doing it for me and we are having a lot of fun. Her visit is a nice break for my husband who was doing all the running around for me the first week.

My foot felt markedly better today - less throbbing - and I feel I'm on my way to healing. I know what you mean about too much TV - it gets so tiring. I am trying to keep busy with books, my lap top, ipod, and chatting on the phone. Next week I am hoping to start working on some photo albums that I have wanted to get organized for years. I go to the doctors next week and I'm going to beg and plead to have the cast removed and get an air cast instead. My foot just aches in this cast - almost like sensitive pressure points. I have found that putting an ice bag behind my knee really helps - kind of cools off the entire foot.

4 more weeks to go....I can do it! Tomorrow I'll send my husband out to get an iced mocha for me and rent the movie Michael......! Thanks for the tips.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:27 PM   #15
(female)

monster bunion HB User

You hang in there zapfamily, sounds like you are doing well and on your way to healing. The first two weeks were rough for me, the next four weeks should be easier. I'm on my 12th week post op lapidus bunionectomy and I still can't get it out of my head how miserable I was during those early weeks. I have to do the same surgery on my other foot and I'll have to work up the courage to do it again. Anyway, I'm walking now, but get winded a lot because of all those inactive weeks. I'm not back to normal yet, but getting there slowly. Some people think this is minor surgery since it's outpatient, but the recovery is major.

Closed Thread