It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2007, 12:45 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Chubstercat HB UserChubstercat HB User
Ball of Foot Pain - but not bunion pain

Hi, please help me! I have been having alot of ball of foot pain, but my bunion doesn't hurt. My big toe does lean toward second. I recently got a cortisone shot by a podiatrist who is not pushing surgery. I have been to another podiatrist who recommended surgery, but I was hesistant because I was no pain at all. Now, I am wondering if I should have had the surgery! Any advice would help!

Old 08-28-2007, 01:02 PM   #2
(female)

monster bunion HB User
Re: Ball of Foot Pain - but not bunion pain

With a bunion, the big toe is out of alignment and that whole side of the foot is not bearing weight as it should, and the four other toes and the ball of the foot have to make up for it and bear that weight, so you would see callouses under the ball of the foot. I'm not a podiatrist, but just had bunion surgery.
The ball of my foot didn't hurt, but the bunion did. When to have surgery is up to you and your doctor. They should have told you what your MT (metatarsal) angle is. If the MT angle is 15 degrees or less, it's the simpler bunion surgery. If the MT angle is more than 15 degrees, it's the more invasive bunion surgery. Some people wait till they can't bear the pain anymore, some doctors won't operate unless they feel you are in pain and it interferes with your life. Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2007, 01:06 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Thanks, none of the doctors I went to told me the angle. When I mentioned this, they told me I was looking at the internet too muc. I live in a small town and really didn't like ANY of the podiatrists I went to. Did you have a cast with the pin sticking out or screws with removable boot?

Old 08-28-2007, 01:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

what kind of bunion surgery are you going to have and you will find your answers. can you go to another dr and they should never tell you that you reas too much on the internet.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:25 PM   #5
(female)

monster bunion HB User

I didn't have any pins or screws with removable boot. I think with hammertoe correction, there is usually a pin left in which they pull out later.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:27 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

I really don't know - one podiatrist just said osteomy. He said I was reading too many horror stories on the web. I mean is anybody happy that did their surgeries. If this was cancer, I would be running to have the surgery. I am very afraid. I have never had any type of surgery before. Thanks for any input!

Old 08-28-2007, 01:39 PM   #7
(female)

monster bunion HB User

Chubstercat,
Sounds like a simple surgery involving the shaving of the bunion. Surgery of the foot is a scary prospect, but the prospect of not being able to walk without pain is also scary. Bunions don't get better, they get worse over time. I ignored my bunion and kept walking on it and enduring discomfort. Finally, I couldn't walk on it at all and the pain was killing me all the time. I ended up having to do the invasive surgery because the bunion was severe.
I never had surgery before and was never sick for more than 7 days in my life. Suddenly, I had this huge bunion surgery and was in a cast for 6 weeks.
It was very scary for me. Now, having had the surgery, I can walk without pain.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:28 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Thanks - you sound exactly like me. Never sick - I always worked out. Now, I just do what I need to do to get thru the day. My mother had bunions so they are inherited. Did you have a pin sticking out of your big toe? They must have had to break the 1st metatarsal to straighten it. Thanks for you reassurance. A doctor did recommend surgery to me over a year ago, but I keep putting it off due to fear!

Old 08-29-2007, 05:46 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I'd see an orthopedist who specializes in feet for a second opinion. If for no other reason than your podiatrist just didn't give you adequate information.
I've never had a surgery where the doc didn't draw me a picture of what he would do and explain each step. I don't allow them to do otherwise. That way I know everything I need to know - esp whether or not HE knows anything!

Old 08-29-2007, 06:59 AM   #10
(female)

monster bunion HB User

No, I didn't have a pin sticking out of my big toe, but they did break the
first metatarsal in two places I believe to straighten out the toe.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:12 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Sounds like what I need. My big toe itself is crooked. They must have fixated the bone somehow. You must have screws in the foot. It's funny though, the "bump" does not bother me. Horrible pain in ball of foot, can't stand long at all. Making my life miserable! I am single and live alone, but if I gotta have this surgery, I will have to find help!

Old 08-29-2007, 09:13 AM   #12
(female)

monster bunion HB User

There is a woman where I used to work (haven't gone back since surgery) that had a moderate bunion and she had pain under the ball of her foot also. Sometimes, she would have numbness in that area also if she stood for too long or wore the wrong shoes. She is trying to decide also whether to have surgery and has seen about four different foot doctors, all who had differing opinions. If you do have surgery, you might want to hire someone to come in to cook meals for you and clean.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:08 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

I have orthonics (got them about 1 year ago) from a podiatrist. This same doc just gave me a cortisone shot about a week ago. No difference. Going to a podiatrist I saw over a year ago (when I really had no pain) who did recommend surgery. My first metatarsal is too long and it is also elevated. I need to do something because I can't go on like this, I am only 46. Thanks for your help!

Old 08-29-2007, 10:28 AM   #14
(female)

monster bunion HB User

If the first metatarsal ray is elevated, it sounds like he wants to do a midfoot
procedure to bring the first ray down, did he mention this? I'm just a little bit older than you.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:43 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Yes, mentioned closed based wedge procedure with 6 weeks NWB. I am just worried if they shorten the 1st met too much it puts even more weight on that second toe, which is where I am having that pain under ball of foot.

Closed Thread