It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2007, 02:23 PM   #1
(female)

monster bunion HB User
aircast

Relteach,
Did you have an Aircast Foam Walker (FP) ($92.50) or the Aircast XP Walker (Pneumatic) ($162.50) ? It seems from the photos that you toes aren't showing thru the XP Walker. I'm worried about it getting hot.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:42 PM   #2
(female)

mazzie46 HB User
Re: aircast

Hi Monsterbunion

I have the XP walker, complete with air pockets. Its great!! Its alot less hot than a normal hard cast ( not sure if thats what your asking though?) Your toes do sort of poke through...but are covered by felt material that sits over your foot.

Hope this helps??

Mazzie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2007, 06:21 PM   #3
(female)

monster bunion HB User

Thanks Mazzie. I just keep remembering that I was miserable in the cast and may ask my doctor if I can use an Aircast on my next bunionectomy.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:55 PM   #4
(female)

oliver65 HB User

Monsterbunion.....
I have been wearing a XP pneumatic ( one that comes up to my knee due to recent back surgery) for a med fracture...and I can tell ya girl....cause I live in Florida...they get very hot. I have to change my sock a few times a day due to sweating. And by the way mine cost $240.00...but I guess you can order them on line for less money. EEk buniuon surgery...I have a very large one but does't hurt me at all...at least at this time.

I am hoping is get into a shorter cast after my next ex-ray. . The best thing to remember about a aircast is keeping the air valves balanced and finding a shoe for your other foot that equals the height of the cast.

I learned this the hard way...but got the great advise for this site from others wearing XP's
Oliver65

Old 08-29-2007, 04:03 AM   #5
(female)

relteach HB User

Hi Monster Bunion,

I have the XP Walker Pneumatic. Generally, toes should not show. If they do, it is the wrong size (at least that was what I was told when I was fitted).
Yes, it does get hot. I am a teacher in and went back to work last week during the hottest days of the year (97-99 degrees) and most schools in Dayton do not have AC. I'll tell you it was HOT. On Friday, I was so uncomfortable that I asked to have my class moved to the library with AC (administrator was a pain the butt and gave me grief about it, but let me do it), I had to change my socks twice that day. There are times when I just take it off and sit with my foot in the air. Even though it is hot, I still find it more comfortable than a shoe at this point. I am allowed to wear a stiff-soled shoe as long as I have no pain, but most of the time the aircast I am most comfortable at this point.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:19 AM   #6
(female)

BunionPatient HB User

Okay so now I know the official name of the boot I got that was put on right after my surgery. I still wear it now. Its called Royce Medical Air Equalizer Hi Top Walking Boot. Is that considered an aircast? lol

Old 09-10-2007, 01:22 PM   #7
(female)

relteach HB User

Do you have a way to inflate any part of the cast to provide support and immobilization? Aircast is the name of an actual company that makes what my doc calls pnuematic CAM walker (a walking boot that allows air to be pumped in or out to customize fit). Your maynot be an aircast, but it is still a walking boot.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:30 PM   #8
(female)

oliver65 HB User

I have been searching around trying to find you...left a message on 5th med fracture...This makes me smile..as it seems we all kinda bounce around with pearls of wisdom we have learned...and the hard way.....I think I am falling in love with my aircast!!!! It makes every step so much easier..I did my first "walk about" today in rehab..I can't beieve how weak my foot is.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:20 PM   #9
(female)

BunionPatient HB User

There is a blue pump on my boot but I don't think it makes a big difference in the deflation/inflation. There is a knob that says inflate/deflate too. I've tried messing around with it but I don't think I feel it inflating or deflating. However, the boot I have still supports my foot.

Closed Thread