It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2007, 02:12 PM   #1
(female)

monster bunion HB User
orthotics

Does anyone know what are good orthotics? My podiatrist just said quickly,
"and get yourself some good orthotics". (I am 11 weeks post-bunionectomy).
Before surgery, I went to the G*** Feet Store, and they made me walk on some paper that showed impressions of my feet and then recommended their orthotics to me. I got a flexible one for sports, and a more severe one, which I could never wear. That was when I had the bunion. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2007, 02:28 PM   #2
(female)

RightFootMary HB User
Re: orthotics

Actually the first time I went to the pod he told me I needed orthodics and he took impressions of my feet and had them custom made for me. Thank goodness my insurance covered them since they are about $300. I got used to them right away. Now I basically wear them in my sneakers which I use when I walk alot. Some of my "dress" shoes for work (all flats) I can wear them in and some I can't. I still have some residual swelling from the surgery (10 months ago). The orthodics really did make a difference in the way I walked. When I go back to the pod in Dec he wants me to bring the orthodics with me. He said they would not have to be changed after surgery.

Let us know what you decide on.

Mary in NY

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2007, 02:55 PM   #3
(female)

debincalif HB Userdebincalif HB User

I just had a custom pair made for me by casting my feet. But up until then I had VERY good luck using Super Feet. They are pretty stable and most podiatrists and orthopedists recommend them as a good store-bought orthotic. You can do a web search on them and find many places where they can be purchased (about $35 a pair).

Good luck,
Deb

Old 08-29-2007, 03:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

my dr made mine, also. they really do help.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:46 PM   #5
(female)

Monster Bunion,
I see you are in San Francisco. If you have an REI store around, I know they sell them there.
Deb

Old 08-29-2007, 07:49 PM   #6
(female)

monster bunion HB User

Thanks deb, I'll look for the Super Feet.
Thanks debbie g and right foot mary for your input too, I appreciate it.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:56 AM   #7
(male)

SkatersDad HB User

Hello,

I have been watching this topic and thought I would throw in my two cents. My son, now age 15, is or was a high level figure skater and dancer (Ballet and Tap mainly) About 20 months ago he began having pain in his left ankle (His Take Off Ankle in Skating) and was later diagnosed with an OCD Lesion on his Talus Dome. We don't know how he got it but I tend to believe that it was partially due to overuse and uncorrected pronation.

For 13 years, he was OK and no OS or Family Doctor ever said anything about him being pronated. Now after two surgies and a allograft implant hi9s OS and his Orthodist say he is very pronated. Even I can see it now when I know what to look for. Daniel had Super Feet and liked them for walking and skating starting in August of last year. Then we drove out of state and had casting done and two sets of custom orthotics which cost us $400 and BC/BS $1,200. Later an Orthodist told us these were Off-the-shelf orthotics and not anything specially made. We had our Orthotics made by our Orthodist and Daniel seems to really like them.

I recently read two articles on Molded Orthotics. One by Dan Vogelback, LPT, ATC/L who states that stabilization and alignment of the Sub-Talr Joint is critical for young athletes. He told me that uncorrected pronation can push the Talus forward and top load it excessively which may be the cause of my son's proble. The other artical was by Dr.Mahlon A. Bradley, MD and he wrote about the tremendous forces applied to the figure skaters foot while jumping and also suggested hinge boots and orthotics in order to lessen the stain on the tarsal navicular bone.

My two cents - I'm convinced that my son needed orthotics and even "Superfeet" are better than no orthotic. How do you know who to go to for an Orthotic??? I don't know that, but my son is very happy with who he is seeing and hopefully he may get to skate again later this year, although he will never be 100% again unless science comes up with some new miracle cures.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:39 AM   #8
(female)

monster bunion HB User

Thanks Skatersdad. Sorry to hear about your son's troubles. I wish him well and I hope everyday he gets better.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:29 PM   #9
(female)

mazzie46 HB User

Hi Skatersdad

Sorry to hear about your sons troubles. Just thought i'd say...I had an accident almost 4 years ago now, which caused my ligaments to stretch, and therefore i started to pronate badly...after amost 2 years i had pain over my talus area,( aswell as general ankle pain) and a scan showed an OCD. In surgery the OCD actually turned out to be a chondral flap.. ( an OCD without the bone involved, just cartilage pushed out) My surgeon says the flap was caused by the over pronation and overuse.

I ended up like this coz all the surgeons i had seen told me to "live with my pronated foot" and there was nothing they could do!!

I had just had £8,000 worth of surgery.

Your son is so young, its just not fair!!!!

I really hope he gets better from all this!

Mazzie

Old 08-30-2007, 07:18 PM   #10
(female)

misfish90 HB User

Monster - My pod recommended the green SuperFeet insoles and Phase4 orthotics which are really reasonably priced. But my favorites are by Step Forward because you can get them in a narrow width so they fit in women's shoes better. I also had custom ones years ago but found the over the counter variety worked better for me. Don't know if any of these fit the definition of "good" you were looking for but I do know that I wouldn't be without them.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:36 PM   #11
(female)

monster bunion HB User

Thanks misfish! I ordered the Super Feet blue and I'll try those first.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:02 PM   #12
(female)

Ahhhh... bummer that you ordered already. I was going to "second" the opinion on getting GREEN SuperFeet. The blue ones will still be beneficial, but likely the arch may be too low. The green ones (bright green) really are your best bet.

If you've never worn orthotics before, be sure to follow the instructions on the box. Get used to them gradually, as they do take some getting used to.

Let us know how you fare wtih them!
Deb

Old 08-31-2007, 10:41 AM   #13
(female)

monster bunion HB User

Thanks for the info Deb, I'll keep the green ones in mind.

Closed Thread