It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2007, 01:19 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
can toe fusion cause unbearable pain on the bottom of the foot

i dont know if i have a neroma or what on the bottom of my foot. its right under my big toe that was fused 10 months ago,. it started to hurt last week and now i can barely walk. i cant see my dr until wednesday. i dont know why this started and i dont even know what a neroma is. can somebody pleas help????????????

Old 08-31-2007, 01:38 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sorefootsophie HB User
Re: can toe fusion cause unbearable pain on the bottom of the foot

Debbie, What you are describing sounds like a non union to me! I am speaking from my own experience....believe me....I have been there. I tried to convince my doctor and on the second attempt at fusion, he said he manipulated the joint while my foot was open and it APPEARED fused but he went ahead and redid it with a new screw and some donor bone. I just kept complaining and fortunately for me...he kept listening. It was only with the CT scan that the non union finally became EVIDENT!! You NEED a CT scan now. Insist on it. I am only 17 weeks out from the third attempt with a bone graft from my heal and a plate and 5 screws and I do NOT have any pain and can wear sandals and running shoes! Good luck! Sophie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2007, 07:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

why does it sound like a non-union and why would it start so late? i am so upset. does this mean i will have to have another fusion surgery? i think i would rather kill myself.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:15 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

sorefootsophie HB User

Debbie, I am not saying you have a non union. I AM saying you SHOULD NOT have this level of pain this long after surgery. PLEASE....do yourself a favour. I have had multiple foot surgeries starting as long ago as Nov./05. My first fusion was May/06, then Jan. /07 then the final one May/07. I am telling you that the difference I feel in my foot between it fusing versus not fusing is ASTRONOMICAL!! This surgery is meant to eliminate pain....Not cause more! PLEASE...take the time to go through and read my posts from back then. I think you will see yourself!

A delayed union means the joint has not fused in 6 months. A non union is 12 months.

I still every day am SO thankful that I had a doctor whom I could call and talk to...who would always return my calls...who would not make me feel stupid for my numerous questions and who ALWAYS listened to me!

I still have the other foot to do. I will not do it for a while but when I do...I will have no fear returning to the doctor who did the first foot!

Good luck...GET THE CT SCAN...let us know! If you have anymore questions, please feel free to ask! You should not be suffering as you are! Sophie

Last edited by sorefootsophie; 08-31-2007 at 08:16 PM.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

thanks sophie, what is the feeling like when you say you know your toe is fused now? how can you tell?

Closed Thread