It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2007, 01:34 PM   #1
(female)

BunionPatient HB User
Lapidus Procedure Experience

Hey everyone I am 18 years old and just want to tell you how I've been doing. I am almost 6 weeks non weight bearing and now starting to bear weight. I am using an air cast type boot with crutches. I think this experience is hard because I have to learn to be patient and sometimes we all get a little depressed because we are not able to walk. I give big props to those who can nwb for 10+ weeeeeks. Wow. My bunion is gone but the only thing I'm worried about is my midfoot where they fused and put 2 screws. I can feel a slight lump where the screws are and when I tap on it I feel like I'm tapping the screw. Do any of you have this problem? It feels strange but hasn't been a big deal yet. Too early to tell and thanks for everyone who replied!! =)

Old 09-01-2007, 02:48 PM   #2
(female)

monster bunion HB User
Re: Lapidus Procedure Experience

Your are very brave to go through this ordeal. I had the Lapidus procedure too and have two screws midfoot. I kept thinking I was feeling the screws, but it was probably the swelling of the foot. Give it some time. Also, the only time I had a meltdown was when I was trying to walk again, it was really frustrating because after being NWB for so long, I just wanted to get up and do everything. Take it slow, it will happen, and everyday will get better. It's amazing how your foot will feel a little less sore and will get a little stronger everyday. It is really different from when you were NWB, there may not have been progress evident, but when you start to walk, you will see progress everyday.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2007, 08:00 AM   #3
(female)

zapfamily HB User

Hello to all my fellow lapidus survivors! I enjoy reading about your progress and can relate to all your concerns. I am on day 11 after surgery and everyday I work to stay positive...not walking is so hard, particularly during this gorgeous weather we are having on the East Coast. I did sit out on the deck last night for a few hours (with my foot propped up) and it lifts the spirits to feel the fresh air! I had a doctor's visit a few days ago, got my cast on, and everything looked good. I have no idea if I can feel the mid foot screws...I was not brave enough to touch it! I agree with monster bunion...there is a good chance the swelling and maybe scar tissue is what you are feeling. Keep us posted how the walking is going...I'm proud of you - it is hard when you are 18 to give up normal activities and take time to . recover. It will zip by...and you are well on your way. I am getting through nwb with books, magazines, my ipod, keeping a journal, visits with neighbors and friends/family, watching more tv than I have ever done in my life.... and I have started doing light weights, leg lifts (my doctor gave okay) and abdominal crunches on the floor with my legs propped up on a chair. It has been therapeutic to exercise because my back has been sore from all the time spent sitting and in bed. We will all never take for granted our normal lives...and hopefully we will all have great feet to go along with that. Keep healing and keep us posted about your progress.

ps...i got a nice surprise last night....my sister from Nashville called and said she was driving to virginia today to visit me for a week and give some help. I am so thrilled...

Old 09-02-2007, 04:56 PM   #4
(female)

BunionPatient HB User
Smile Re: Lapidus Procedure Experience

Thank You Monterbunion & Zapfamily for all the support!!!! =) It's good to have positive energy around you. I will keep you posted when I am able to walk without the crutches. As for the swelling, I do not have much swelling but where the screws are I'm pretty sure I can feel it hitting a nerve or something that is tingly when I tap on it. Zap, I'm so happy to hear that you have your sister there to visit you!! There is still a lot of time to go so that's good that your very patient. Did you just have one bunion done and doing another in the future? I had my right foot operated on and still have a left bunion that's smaller. Alrite take care everyone and thanks so much!!!

Old 09-02-2007, 07:14 PM   #5
(female)

zapfamily HB User

Oh don't get me wrong....I'm not always patient (ask my husband... but I do try...and some days are better than others. You need to get into the doctors and have them look at those screws - take an xray - you don't want to have this go on any longer than you have to...especially if they do need to do something about it. Don't be timid about calling them - I had my left foot done in '05 so I'm pretty assertive and ask a lot of questions... good luck and let us know what they find.

Old 09-03-2007, 01:25 PM   #6
(female)

BunionPatient HB User

I had two sets of x-rays after my operation. The first x-ray the doctor was showing me where the screws were located and told me if they bothered me in the future, they could be easily taken out. The x-rays show the screw close to the surface if that makes sense, and the doctor says that it appears that way, but there is a lot of tissue on top of that. I think the ball is in my court. He basically means that the screws are going to stay in there until I have a problem with them. But, like I said it's too early to tell, I have to see if they bother me in shoes when I'm able to walk , etc. If not, I'll leave them there but if they hurt I'll take them out. My next appointment is on the 18th! Still walking with crutches.

Closed Thread