It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2007, 05:24 AM   #1
(female)

walkabout HB User
Unbearable heel and facia pain after fusion

I had my ankle fused 4 1/2 months ago, and I am having the worse constant pain in my heel and facia muscle. I am going through therapy to try and stretch things out, but it just seems like it will never go away. I grit my teeth every time I try to walk. I just want to do what ever it takes to get past this. Is there any advise? I am using a ball or frozed juice can at the arch of my foot. It feels good, but changes nothing for pain.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:16 PM   #2
(female)

relteach HB User
Re: Unbearable heel and facia pain after fusion

How long were you in a cast? I found that after being cast for many weeks, when I was finally allowed to bear weight and began therapy, I had heel and fascia pain. It took many weeks of gradual weight bearing and therapy stretching for the pain to ease. In the meantime, I used anti-inflammatories and regular stretches. I learned to slowly stretch BEFORE I stood to walk if I had been off my foot for more than about 20-30 min. Sometimes I could not do that and it hurt worse than when I did. If all else fails, see your doc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2007, 04:44 AM   #3
(female)

walkabout HB User

I was in a cast for 2 months and a boot for 2 months. Your right, if your not on your foot for a while and then step down, that is when it hurts the worse. What kind of anti-inflamatories do you take? I just take ibriprofin 800mg. They don't seem to help much. Did you have your Ankle fused too?

Old 09-05-2007, 04:16 PM   #4
(female)

relteach HB User

I broke my 5th metatarsal in the worst place possible. I was in a cast for 4 months and aircast/cam walker for two months--both non-weight bearing. This last month, I have been full weight bearing and wearing either an athletic shoe or the boot depending on what activity I am doing (any uneven surface). I just take ibuprofen (800 mg) and it seemed to work for me. Making the transition from NWB to FWB was painful. I have dealt with plantar faciitis before and was warned it could surface. It did and I do stretches and take ibuprofen BEFORE it gets bad. It is gradually going away. I only notice it if I don't stretch in the morning or if I have been on my feet too long.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:53 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

happyfoot7 HB User

Hey Karen,

Sorry to hear about the facia and heel pain, how frustrating! I have been having some pain in some of my muscles that haven't been used in years in my calf and up the shin. I have been seeing a physio which has been good, but she also recommended I go to this other place called Stretch as well...which is a very appropriate name I thought. Anyway they do Active Isolated Stretching, which is kind of half way between a very deep tissue massage and physio stretching which they do on my foot and leg and for the most part I just chill out. Very relaxing most of the time, but seems to be working out the problems in my muscles pretty well, and they do a lot of work on the scar itself too.

Anyway it isn't cheap here (but nothing like that is in HK), but might be worth giving a try at least and see if you think it will help. People can be certified in Active Isolated Stretching so you could do a search to find a certified person.

hope you find something that helps reduce the time you suffer from this, but at least it sounds like it should be relatively temporary...fingers crossed

Kira

Old 09-06-2007, 04:12 AM   #6
(female)

walkabout HB User

[QUOTE][/QUOTE][QUOTE=relteach;3194009][I broke my 5th metatarsal in the worst place possible. I was in a cast for 4 months and aircast/cam walker for two months--both non-weight bearing.] This last month, I have been full weight bearing and wearing either an athletic shoe or the boot depending on what activity I am doing (any uneven surface). I just take ibuprofen (800 mg) and it seemed to work for me. Making the transition from NWB to FWB was painful. I have dealt with plantar faciitis before and was warned it could surface. It did and I do stretches and take ibuprofen BEFORE it gets bad. It is gradually going away. I only notice it if I don't stretch in the morning or if I have been on my feet too long.[/QUOTE]

Wow, you sure have gone through alot! I'm glad to hear that things are improving for you.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:21 AM   #7
(female)

walkabout HB User

Hey Kira!

Active Isolated stretching huh? I've never heard of that. I'll have to check that out. When I went to PT yesterday, he put some sort of warming machine with gel at the bottom of my foot. It is suppose to get into the deep tissues to stretch and loosen up the bottom of my foot. I may have over did it during the Holiday weekend. I was a little anxious to do some yard work now that I did'nt have to wear a boot. My bad .LOL.

How did your trip go with your new ankle?

Karen

Old 09-06-2007, 04:56 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

happyfoot7 HB User

Hey Karen,

Yeah I had never heard of active isolated stretching either...and to be honest when I saw the price I seriously didn't consider going...then I was like well I just need to forget the money for now and really focus on getting my foot right, very happy I went. Been about 5 times now (twice a week) and it has really made a difference (well you never really know but I think so! hehe).

I know what you mean about overdoing it on holiday! haha So happy I took my crutches, or I would be a disaster! I had a great time, and one of my old training buddies came 16th in the mens pro race which was awesome! So he should now have the points required to race at the olympics again, so excited for him. Family had good races...got around where they were hoping, so that was cool.

On the most exciting front, they have a disabled race category now...and man do those people have serious problems... It was pretty inspiring, I guess to some extent you are as disabled as you let yourself be (well when not in so much pain you can't walk... you know what I mean) So I have applied to the paralympic association here to see if I can get certified, and if I can whether they will let me do the run with a wheelchair or crutches... will take about a month and testing to find out, if they say yes I'll check its ok with surgeon....and if all that pans out then I've already been given the all clear by the triathlon association here to race at worlds next year in Vancouver.... so that would be awesome (the thought of crutching 10km is not so awesome hahaha)

Glad to hear you had good holiday weekend! Hope you sort out the pain soon!!

Toodle loo

Kira

Old 09-07-2007, 04:32 AM   #9
(female)

walkabout HB User
Talking Re: Unbearable heel and facia pain after fusion

Kira

Wow! I can't imagine racing with crutches!!! That sounds like it will hurt. Have you ever seen those roll-about things that you set your knee on? They are way cooler than crutches. Maybe more interesting than a wheelchair. The only thing is, is I'm not sure if it would be stable enough to use for an event like this. I'm happy to hear about your family and friend. How exciting!

Kira, I just want to stress how important it is for you to be real careful with that ankle. You know about my hip situation and they don't last forever. You are not an average 26 yr. old. You are extremely active (as I know how that can be), and I have heard that ankle replacements are not as easy to except surgery after surgery.

I'm heading off to PT now. I am getting more movement then I have ever had in my foot. I'm beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Even though it hurts.LOL

Old 09-07-2007, 07:50 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

happyfoot7 HB User

Hey Karen,

So cool about your movememnt in your foot!! So so so happy that you are finally able to see a light at the end of the tunnel!! Yay!

I am especially conscious of my activity levels because I know I am an active person, and am making an effort to follow the surgeons guidelines strictly. I am doing mainly water based activity and a tiny bit of cycling on my bike at home (tiny being like 5 minutes 2 times a week), and only walking to get from one place to another. I took my crutches on holiday on surgeons advice and used them the whole time.

When I say racing...well the swim I would go nuts for, the bike would be a casual sunday ride, and the run a slow walk on crutches (which would prevent fast walking). From my understanding I will not get to choose the aids I can use and I will be told what I am allowed to used based on my disibility level. Obviously I will train for the run section mainly in strength work and little actual walking, and will only do the race if Hintermann gives it the ok (but since hiking is allowed, and this would be flat, and on level ground, I think it will be ok) Thanks for the concern, but I am very focused on making my joint last as long as possible (like I bought a little wheeling trolly thing to take my shopping home from supermarket - 40metres from my flat - and don't carry heavy objects at all etc).

anyway I hope your progress continues to improve and the pain starts to decrease but lovely to hear its on the mend!

have a great weekend!

Kira

Closed Thread