It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2007, 03:57 PM   #1
(female)

Zoey123 HB User
Sugery

I just finished with post-tibial tendon surgery. It was much more than I expected. The tendon was shredded and they had to take a tendon from the bottom of my foot and add to it. Shortened my tendon to my big toe, lengthen my achilles tendon because it was too tight and moved my heel over and pinned it in place. I have had problems with my feet for the last year. First diagnosed as a heel spur sent to physical therapy and went down hill from there. I think things were over stretched. It has only been 10 days since surgery and still alot of pain. I developed neuropathy in my feet and legs and have had all kinds of tests for that and they don't know what is causing it and haven't found and meds. to relieve that pain. The pressure in the cast is unbearable from about 3 in the afternoon until I take a pain pill and sleeping pill to go to sleep. I would appreciate any suggestions and tips to get me through this. The Dr. said I could be looking at close to a year for a normal (maybe) recovery. Any Help??
Zoey 123

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2007, 07:10 PM   #2
(female)

debincalif HB Userdebincalif HB User
Re: Sugery

Hi Zoey,

Many of us here have had surgery to repair our PTT's. It is certainly no walk in the park! There is a long thread (it's closed) called "Posterior Tibial Tendon Surgery" and is probably several pages down now... but it has a LOT of information on the surgery and recovery. I started the thread when I was facing surery myself.

I'm now 5 1/2 months out and I feel like I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! There are little set-backs along the way and it is a huge test of sanity and patience... but for me it will be worth it in the long run.

My advice to you right now would be to keep up with your ice & elevation as much as you can, and if you need to take pain meds still, then by all means take them. Personally, I took pain meds longer than most people on these boards... but remember that each person is unique. Only you will be able to determine what works and doesn't work for you.

If you're still at the non-weightbearing stage, you really need to adhere to that... I know it's hard, but any weight at all on your foot is not good.

Your doctor is correct in saying it may be a year before you see the full effect of the surgery. It's an incredibly long recovery time - and not for wimps! My own doctor reminded me of this at my 5-month check up when I had a melt-down in his office. LOL, as I said, it is a test of sanity and patience!

Anyway, good luck to you and feel free to post any questions you might have along the way.

Deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread