It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2007, 08:08 AM   #1
(female)

lourash HB User
recovery time from chilectomy and tarsal tunnel ???

Just wondered what the usual time off work is after a chilectomy or tarsal tunnel. My husband has a huge bone spur on his big toe joint and had an emg yesterday for the tarsal tunnel. The neuro that did the emg said you should test at a 3 on the nerves , but he tested at 2 on some of them. He also said something about the nerve damage causing the bone spur??? He wears steel toe boots all day and is a welder so he stands and squats alot all day.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:41 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: recovery time from chilectomy and tarsal tunnel ???

I had a cheilectomy on a Wednesday and went back to work the following Monday. Since he's a welder, unless they can find something else for him to do, he'll have to wait until he can get in his boots again which should be around 3 weeks. I don't know how the other procedure impacts this time frame.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2007, 11:48 AM   #3
(female)

lourash HB User

thanks for your reply , wow that was alot quicker than I had thought. Do you have a job that dosen't require you to stand alot?? Or maybe you can handle alot of pain cause I figured it would probably swell and throb pretty bad for awhile. If you don't mind me asking what kind of anesthia did they give you ??? I thought they used general but he has airway obstruction and the last time he was only sedated he had severe problems and they warned us about surgery for him. We are hoping he won't need tarsal tunnel release surgery, but kind of wonder since the doc that did the emg test said something about nerve damage causing the spur did they tell you anything like that ?? thanks

Old 09-06-2007, 01:13 PM   #4
(female)

loots HB User

Hello I had a Cheilectomy 8 weeks ago and I think I am worse now than I was before the surgery!!!! HONEST!!!!!

I was diagnosed with Freiberg's Infraction on my 2nd metatarsal and my Orthapedic Surgeon preformed a oestomy(sp???) and cheilectomy at the same time. I healed well from the 12 sutures and 2 weeks ago I felt a "pulling sensation" on the top part of the foot (where the screw was put in) when I bend my foot to walk it KILLS!

I was in a surgical boot for 6 weeks and now am in an aircast for another 3 weeks but things haven't changed much!

I am sooooo frustrated and how much time do I give this?????
I know feet take a long time but I am seriosly condidering having this reversed(if they can)

I am depressed and don't feel like wearing any shoes at all(all of them hurt me) and have gained 14 pounds in 2 months and can't excersise(swimming is even painful because when I get out of the pool I can't bear weight on the ceramic floor)!
Xray shows everything is fine but it's not fine as I am in so much pain !

This is all because of going barefoot for many years and from stepping on a piece of my son's LEGO 2 years agoa dn fracturing my foot!!!!!!OUCH!

Anyone else have the same probelm!!!???!!!!

Thanks!

Martha
Ontario, Canada

Old 09-06-2007, 05:02 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

[QUOTE=lourash;3195435]thanks for your reply , wow that was alot quicker than I had thought. Do you have a job that dosen't require you to stand alot?? Or maybe you can handle alot of pain cause I figured it would probably swell and throb pretty bad for awhile. If you don't mind me asking what kind of anesthia did they give you ??? I thought they used general but he has airway obstruction and the last time he was only sedated he had severe problems and they warned us about surgery for him. We are hoping he won't need tarsal tunnel release surgery, but kind of wonder since the doc that did the emg test said something about nerve damage causing the spur did they tell you anything like that ?? thanks[/QUOTE]

I didn't have any hardware put in. I had turf toe (hallux limitus/rigidus) from years of jogging and wearing high heels. You could see the bone chips form a cloud over the joint in my x-rays and see the bump on the top of the joint from it rubbing together. I walked out from the surgery center in a boot and continued to be able to walk. That was never a problem. Some swelling but not much. I had stitches out at 2 weeks and had to wear the boot for about another week before I could get into a pair of mule type Merrells with a wide toe box. Wore them for probably 3-4 weeks and then gradually back in heels and all my regular shoes. Took pain meds for maybe the first 4-5 days and then Vioxx after that (this was while it was still on the market). 5 years later I jog daily if I want, take two Aleve every morning, dance, whatever. No problems.

I went to a sports med ortho who does only feet and has operated on lots of big name athletes. We have a famous clinic in my home town and this is "the" doc for foot problems.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:14 AM   #6
(female)

trish54 HB User

Hi everyone new to the group, but wanted to let you know I had surgery on left foot x 2 made my foot worse than before, now have nerve damage. Good luck. I was told I had severe tarsal tunnel in both feet, sorry I ever had the surgery. My surgery was in 2003. I now hate to walk, severe pain at all times. Everyone heals differently, I know friends that had the same done and it worked. If anyone knows of a remedy for severe foot pain please let me know. Thank you for listening.

Last edited by trish54; 09-11-2007 at 06:25 AM. Reason: add on

Closed Thread