It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2007, 09:21 AM   #1
(female)

monster bunion HB User
exhausted 12 weeks post lapidus bunionectomy

I've been walking for 6 weeks now, after being in a cast for 6 weeks, and I'm finding myself out of breath and exhausted. I was not out of shape before surgery and am average weight for my size. It is a little discouraging because I want to go back to my normal routine but now I will do something and then have to rest. Has anyone else experienced this? Maybe I'm not understanding that this surgery was major and it will take a while to get back to normal.

Old 09-06-2007, 02:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
Re: exhausted 12 weeks post lapidus bunionectomy

i also was out of shape after being in the cast for almost 9 weeks. just take your time and it will all come back to you. we tend to try to push ourselves too much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2007, 04:40 PM   #3
(female)

zapfamily HB User

Hi Monster Bunion, I'm way behind you (only 2 week post op lapidus) so I'm not sure if I can help...but I can tell you are discouraged. I know you have to endure this again on your other foot so I'm wondering if that is not weighing you down as well. I feel like so much of this process is trying to be positive and that is so hard when you were previously active and had no limits. This takes incredible patience...more than I thought. I have been trying to lift light weights (sitting down of course) and I got the okay from my doctor to do leg lifts to try to keep my legs strong. I am exhausted at the end of the day though and sleeping is hard. You have to remember you have had a major life disruption...everyone goes on about their business and if your family is like mine they rely on you a lot. You need to be good to yourself, get a lot of rest, do some fun things and slowly increase your walking or weight lifting. I swear by the weights...the other day my whole body hurt from all the bed rest and inactivity...I forced myself to do some weights and back streches and I felt so much better......hot showers work wonders as well. HANG IN THERE and don't expect too much of yourself too soon.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:53 PM   #4
(female)

sunny77 HB User

Hi Monster Bunion,
I didn't have the same surgery as you (mine was for posterior tibial tendon/flat foot issues), but can totally identify with what you're saying about lacking stamina. I too was in a cast and NWB for 6 weeks, plus PWB in a boot for 4 more weeks. It seemed like I got worn out so much faster and when I started PT, biking for 5 minutes left me a bit winded. I was in good shape (running, working out regularly) before surgery too. I've done exercises with a Swiss ball, arm weights, leg weights, etc, but these are not aerobic, so have only helped with tone and strength, not stamina and conditioning. I had to remind myself that my body was healing from a major procedure and its energy was going toward that. It's frustrating, but it does build up as you are able to be more mobile. Hang in there and do what you can to take care of yourself.
Krista

Old 09-07-2007, 02:04 PM   #5
(female)

monster bunion HB User

Thanks everyone for your responses. I will try to be more patient and take it slow.

Closed Thread