It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2007, 04:17 PM   #1
(female)

Mambito67 HB User
Post-Bunionectomy Frustrations...

I apologize for the rambling/rant in advance...

I am 15 weeks post-op Austin bunionectomy, and I am no where near where I thought I would be by now! I am still unable to wear "normal" shoes, as my left foot is still 2 cm larger around than my right one. I have no shoes to wear to work, as I can only fit into flip flops currently, so I have to wear my surgical shoe on the left foot, and a dress shoe on the right. I have been to every shoe store in my city with no luck. I am very frustrated with this to say the least. My doctor gave me the OK to wear normal shoes at about 6 weeks post-op, but I just can't fit my darn foot into one!

I started PT last week, and am not yet seeing improvement, but realize it is still early on. The bottom of my foot is still so tender and sore to the touch, my Dr thinks the screw they placed may now need to come out. The area where it hurts is apparently right where the screw was placed, so they think this may be the cause. He said he won't know for sure for at least another 2-3 months though!

Lastly, my left foot now sweats - all the time! I could be freezing cold with goose bumps, and my left foot is sweating away. I have fallen several times from this because my foot slips right off of my shoe. My dr gave me some "B-Dri" liquid to put on it and said this would eliminate it, but it does not work.

Anyone else out there have any similar experiences? My dr says I am right on track with where I should be, but I definitely do not feel that way.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2007, 02:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
Re: Post-Bunionectomy Frustrations...

can you fit into merrils and have you tried extra wide shoes from an orthopedic foot store? i know how frustrating this is. write back

Old 09-08-2007, 11:16 AM   #3
(female)

cosmic1 HB User

The swelling goes on for a long time!!!
Shoe adjustments will go on for probably a year.
I had to look around for a clog type of shoe.
The crocs might do the trick.
I had one bunion done two years ago and one done a year ago.
I live in Wisconsin, and my feet were running on hot all last spring and winter.
I wore flip flops around the house and never had cold feet.
Usually I double sock them to run around the house in winter and they would still be cold.
I considered a good thing.
This is just increased circulation due to healing.
I had all of my internal screws removed as soon as possible.
Just yesterday someone that I work with who has a son that just fractured his ankle said, "They are now saying that all internal screws should be removed because they are causing arthritis.".
She is a nurse and her husband is a physician I am planning on checking into this.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:54 AM   #4
(female)

Mambito67 HB User

I am not sure what merrils are, and I can't wear crocs to work. The only shoes I can fit in are flip flops and Uggs, and I can't wear either of those to work either!

I tried going to an orthopedic foot store that my PT recommended, but they apparently don't sell shoes - just orthotics and inserts. I will have to ask my PT if she knows any other place in my area, because I do not.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

mambito, look in the phone book for shoe stores. a comfort fit or walking store for example. do you have a mall by you? if you can find one of these stores you will probably find shoes. you can also look on line for a store near you. let me know

Old 09-09-2007, 05:51 AM   #6
(female)

piggygirl HB User

look for the brand 'prop'et' or 'drew'

the propet sandals come in 2ee width, and their not to ugly

i'm about 16wks from hemi inplant surgery..and i had the same problem with swelling and trying to find shoes not to ugly.

hope this helps

Last edited by moderator2; 09-09-2007 at 06:05 AM. Reason: posted commercial website

Old 09-09-2007, 08:32 AM   #7
(female)

RightFootMary HB User

I'm almost 11 months post Lapidus bunionectomy and I still have one internal screw. Anyway after my surgery when I was looking for shoes for work I finally got a pair of SAS loafers and they are really comfortable. They come in wide width. They do not sell over the internet so you will have to just do a search for a retailer in your area that carries them. They also are not cheap ($100/pr) but well worth it. I've had mine for a good 10 months now and I wear them almost every day and they still look like the day I bought them.

Good luck and let us know now you make out.

Mary in NY

Old 09-10-2007, 09:05 PM   #8
(female)

BunionPatient HB User

hey, while searching on the web, i found these shoes that look like normal shoes there not ugly @ all the retail @ $100 though so its not cheap. they are called Orthofeet Women's 825 Louise Slip-Ons. I haven't tried them, but if you search it on the web, there are images that show how easy they are to slide your feet into. I'm thinking about getting them.

Closed Thread