It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2007, 07:36 PM   #1
(female)

lynn1961 HB User
surgery on damaged posterior tibial tendon...

Can someone give me some information on this surgery? How painful is it, recovery time, ect.... I am also having an accessory navicular bone removed that is located by this tendon. I am a little nervous. The MRI shows damage to the tendon. Fluid in the area.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:46 PM   #2
(female)

sunny77 HB User
Re: surgery on damaged posterior tibial tendon...

Lynn,
Sorry to hear that your PTT is damaged and requiring surgery. Did your doctor tell you what procedure(s) would be done? Is he/she planning to repair the PTT, do a tendon transfer, an osteotomy (Evans or the sliding/trhough and through type)? If you're not sure, it might be helpful for you to find out ahead of time. Are you scheduled for surgery?

The recovery tends to be LONG, which seems to be the general sentiment. I was non-weightbearing for 6 weeks (and in a splint and cast), then partial weightbearing in a boot for 4 weeks. PT started at 6 weeks, as it's good to get range of motion going to combat scar tissue formation. I took Percocet's for about 6 weeks, though after the first 3-4 wks, it wasn't as often. I'm at 14 wks post-op, so have been in "normal" shoes for a month and am working on balance, walking normally, raising up on my toes, etc. There are others here who are further along than me who can fill you in on their experiences.

I've heard many times that it is one year before one really appreciates what the surgery has done to fix the tendon/arch. But, I'm sure others will echo my feelings of amazement at having an arch, supinating, not having pain like before.

If you go onto the closed board "Posterior Tibial Tendon Surgery", you'll find tons of info and firsthand experiences of those of us who've had various PTT surgeries. One thing that was really helpful for me was a Roll-A-Bout/Turning Leg Caddy type of knee scooter (instead of crutches)...it's sooooo much easier to get around and to have 1-2 hands free.

Feel free to ask more questions and post updates!
Krista

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2007, 07:28 AM   #3
(female)

lynn1961 HB User
Re: surgery on damaged posterior tibial tendon...

My doctor probably did tell me but, it is all greek to me LOL. I am sure he didnot say tendon transfer. I think he said repair the damage.....I got so nervous when he said surgery!

Closed Thread